Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions

Wow, our first "big boat" was a Grampian 26. We purchased her for a song and had the most fun, sailing her all the time always having a GREAT Adventure.

Things you want on one of these vessels is a roller furler. As noted the side decks are nonexistent so going forward to change head sails can be a walk on the wild side if you are in rough seas. Also we loved it when we added a bimini.

You will find that without an inboard engine you have an unbelievable space under the cockpit floor. You can really stash loads of stuff in that area. It is a cinch to take your outboard engine home for the winter or to the shop for work. Just can't do that with an inboard engine. The downside of the outboard is the prop comes out of the water in steep waves.

Do check that the deck mast step is not sinking with flex in the coach roof. You may note rigging getting loose or cracks in the glass at the mast step.

I think a survey is a good investment. Boat repairs cost the same if you have an expensive vessel or a budget one. I would want to know just what would be needed to keep my new vessel seaworthy and a pleasure, not a disappointment, to own.

Good luck. Know there are plenty of vessels to explore. I would try to see a few of a model I like to see which one is the best for my use.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions

Wow, thanks for all the replies from everyone. I'm looking at the Seafarer this afternoon and the Grampian in about a week. I think I have a good idea of what to check out thanks to you all and from reading in the section on boat purchasing (guess I jumped the gun posting here in the general section). I don't think I'm going to spring for a survey. I feel somewhat competent in evaluating the condition of many of the components that have been noted. I've been on boats most of my life, and done a fair amount of repair/maintenance work on boats, just have never been a purchaser of an older boat.

I really think I'm leaning toward the Grampian for many of the reasons noted here. I have a feeling that the Seafarer will show better--it may be a cleaner boat and it is almost 10 years newer. But a few key features have me rooting for the Grampian: More room below, the outboard, and a lot of solid reviews from actual owners. Not to mention a lower price. Now to convince my wife.... She'll go on curb appeal at first.

Will keep you updated.
Old 07-27-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Decks decks decks. Check the decks for signs of wetness and rot. That's the most likely major problem although there are plenty of others. I agree with your engine reasoning.

As for the survey it would be more for piece of mind than financial reasons. Picture yourself sailing with your family and friends 2 months from now when the weather turns bad. You'll feel better at that moment if you had the boat and rig surveyed. That's the biggest reason in my mind for a boat at this price point.
Old 07-27-2012

jimq26 is on a distinguished road

[
We love our '73 G26. Hull is number 583, NFS PHRF is 237, fabulous well built boat.
Check the chainplate fastening area to ensure the bulkheads are in good shape. Bulkheads on these boats should be replaced if there is any sign of water intrusion.
Our Tohatsu 9.8 extra long shaft fits perfectly in the rear transom cutout, and we have never had her come out of the water when going through heavy waves. We have had the engine under water though when a large following wave caught us. No problem on a G26 - self bails quickly, and no water goes below into the cabin.

FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
Old 07-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
As for the survey it would be more for piece of mind than financial reasons. Picture yourself sailing with your family and friends 2 months from now when the weather turns bad. You'll feel better at that moment if you had the boat and rig surveyed. That's the biggest reason in my mind for a boat at this price point.
I hear that. We're on Lake Champlain and never very far from a marina or protected shoreline if weather suddenly turns bad. Of course, that doesn't mean that a failure of something couldn't occur on a beautiful sunny day, but even then I've never been too worried on the lake. I've towed and been towed on a few occasions without much problem.

However, having the rig at least once-overed by someone with more large-boat sailing experience than me would be a good idea. If not before purchase, then before any significant sailing.
Old 07-27-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

What about this - 1978 Canadian Sailcraft CS 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com - similar length, inboard diesel, NO EXTERIOR WOOD TO MAINTAIN, huge inside, reputable builder, plenty of them sold into Montreal area and you should be able to club race on LC . . . 50% higher list price but the market is soft. Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2012

Well, sort of a complete about-face, but today we purchased the Seafarer 26 and I could not be happier. After viewing the Seafarer I was sold. It had obviously been very well maintained and cared for, which became obvious when I learned from the broker that the owners are neighbors of my parents on Lake Champlain. I had not known these folks very well, but they couldn't have been nicer. They spent all morning with me rigging the boat, going over all the systems, and even offered to go out on the water to sail. They babied this boat since 1984 after buying it from the original owners who had apparently sailed a handful of times on it. They had hardly used the yanmar, having a mooring which they could sail from. They sold it with a ton of gadgets and equipment way too numerous to list. I didn't even have to show up with a life jacket.

Anyway, I'm beyond excited. So is my wife (very important) and my 3 year old boy. So, on our maiden voyage today, we had maybe 10 knots of wind for about an hour, and just flew the 150 genoa (on CDI roller furling, which is awesome). After the wind died, we spent the afternoon doing cannonballs into the lake and just lounging around. Here's my boy, it was nearly impossible to get him out of the water.

I've got about 40 miles to go tomorrow to get it to our mooring. Supposed to be a nice day and can't wait!!
Old 08-03-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Congrats!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.