Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Big goals or big dreams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail The World View Post
i'll be the one who says it:

I have all the respect and admiration in the world for our military men and women, but if you are truly permanently disabled, should you really be sailing all the way to panama??

and if you're not truly permanently disabled, i hope you are not collecting a check that comes from the taxes that are taken from my paycheck every month pretending to be disabled...

cheers and good luck.
Plenty of disabled people sail ( Shake a leg of Miami) Long John Silver, Captain Ron only had one eye! But seriously, Why would you publicly doubt a veterens disability and spew crap about your tax money. I live in a military town and spewing crap like that out of my mouth would get ME permanently disabled. Would you actually walk up to a veteren with a limp and let sh!t like that fall out of your mouth?
chrisncate and ParadiseParrot like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-04-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road

I have a couple of friends that sold their business three years ago. Had never sailed. Bought a catamaran in Lake Ontario and headed south learning as they went from books and friends. Are now on their way back from the bottom of the Caribbean. They are the envy of all their "safe" Facebook friends.

Yes, you can do it. It depends on who you are and how you approach challenges. Nature will let you know early on if you are simply being foolish.

...Magellan, Golden Dragon, and Blue Nose....but no Shellback

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.

Last edited by GeorgeDog; 08-04-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2012
hydroholic

Sail The World is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Plenty of disabled people sail ( Shake a leg of Miami) Long John Silver, Captain Ron only had one eye! But seriously, Why would you publicly doubt a veterens disability and spew crap about your tax money. I live in a military town and spewing crap like that out of my mouth would get ME permanently disabled. Would you actually walk up to a veteren with a limp and let sh!t like that fall out of your mouth?
captain aaron:

i honestly dont care *where* you live. i post on many other forums where people regularly talk about how they collect disability/unemployment benefits and still work and do other things... being one of the last hard workers of a dying breed im a little tired of hearing about situations like that. and considering that the taxers take half my paycheck and i never see it again only to have the money i earned be given to someone who is defrauding the system makes me even more irritated to hear things that sound like that.

bottom line is that sailing is inherently a physical activity. that is why i questioned it. shellback answered my question politely, and clarified his condition for the record. now that you consider it YOUR business to question my questioning, here's another question for you: would you butt into a stranger's question to another stranger on the street and start spewing crap about how stranger #1 had no right to ask stranger #2 the question???? ...i didnt think so.

rule of thumb: if i wasnt talking to you, dont talk back to me. letting sh!t like that fall out of *your* mouth might cause you to end up with a limp. good day sir.
Old 08-05-2012

Amazing Grace is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I read some of the crap on this thread and wonder how some folks can get so side-tracked and full of themselves. Stick to the question at hand for $#@& sakes. Moderator's where are you?

Shellback - noonsite as mentioned above is a good resource. Cheers.
GeorgeDog likes this.
Old 08-05-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
captain aaron:

i honestly dont care *where* you live. i post on many other forums where people regularly talk about how they collect disability/unemployment benefits and still work and do other things... being one of the last hard workers of a dying breed im a little tired of hearing about situations like that. and considering that the taxers take half my paycheck and i never see it again only to have the money i earned be given to someone who is defrauding the system makes me even more irritated to hear things that sound like that.

bottom line is that sailing is inherently a physical activity. that is why i questioned it. shellback answered my question politely, and clarified his condition for the record. now that you consider it YOUR business to question my questioning, here's another question for you: would you butt into a stranger's question to another stranger on the street and start spewing crap about how stranger #1 had no right to ask stranger #2 the question???? ...i didnt think so.

rule of thumb: if i wasnt talking to you, dont talk back to me. letting sh!t like that fall out of *your* mouth might cause you to end up with a limp. good day sir.
It was not a private conversation but an open forum, and I guess I was right, Crap does just fall out of your mouth. As for staying on task, Lucky Shelback, another good story is "sailing promise" young couple buy's a catamaran and circumnavigates learnig as they go. thanks for your service and It's nice to see my tax dollars doing some good. Of course, I just pay 'em and shut up about it, I have plenty of money left over.
Trusty Shellback likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-05-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2012

Trusty Shellback is on a distinguished road

...Magellan, Golden Dragon, and Blue Nose....but no Shellback

Chris[/QUOTE]

The more I look into it the more confident I am in my ability. Magellan is the one I would ultimately like to go after, picking up as many other certificates on my way!(does it count on a personal vessel? Or do you at a minimum need someone that has already received the cert to indoctrinate you in?)
Old 08-05-2012

Quote:
captain aaron:

Sail the world

You have absolutely no clue how offensive that question was. Being new to the board I didn't want to rock the boat but you should def listen to some of the other members like capt Aaron and keep those types of questions to yourself because it really is none of your bussines to ask. Not to mention military disability has absolutely nothing to do with Actualy working. It's not social security! You get rated a certain % from the VA (even harded then social security) and then get that for the rest of your life (unless it gets raised higher). There is no restriction on working at all. I could earn a six figure income and I will still receive my money from the VA every month because I earned it putting my life on the line and getting damaged in the process to protect your freedom and way of life.
HDChopper and Capt.aaron like this.
Old 08-05-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusty Shellback View Post
The more I look into it the more confident I am in my ability. Magellan is the one I would ultimately like to go after, picking up as many other certificates on my way!(does it count on a personal vessel? Or do you at a minimum need someone that has already received the cert to indoctrinate you in?)
Sure it counts on personal vessel. More if you ask me as you did "it" on your own. Can you imagine rounding the world on a personal sailboat and anybody taking issue with your hanging an award on your wall? The Navy buys their certificates from the same civilian printer as everybody else. As far as being indoctrinated we had a big event on the naval vessel for Bluenose but didn't do a thing for crossing the Dateline and circumnavigating. Received the awards just the same. They're not official anyway (at least I don't remember them being recorded anywhere official such as the DD214).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDog View Post
Sure it counts on personal vessel. More if you ask me as you did "it" on your own. Can you imagine rounding the world on a personal sailboat and anybody taking issue with your hanging an award on your wall? The Navy buys their certificates from the same civilian printer as everybody else. As far as being indoctrinated we had a big event on the naval vessel for Bluenose but didn't do a thing for crossing the Dateline and circumnavigating. Received the awards just the same. They're not official anyway (at least I don't remember them being recorded anywhere official such as the DD214).
Yea I guess your right, I have a panama canal and my shellback i just checked and neither one are on my dd-214. I just found this site that they sell them on and you don't need any verification like you would with other awards to order them. Tiffany Publishing Company - Certificates - Shellback I'll need to start working my way down the list. We had a huge hazing ceremony when we crossed the line and were found worthy of the order of the Sons of Neptune and were transformed from lowly pollywogs to
Trusty Shellbaks but for the passing through the ditch we just got the certificate. I'm not sure as I would attempt my red or blue nose without a larger ship and I would def want a pilothouse!!! Lol
Old 08-05-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

I think that this is a fine idea, but there need to be a few more steps between where you are now and sailing offshore to a far off place. If you have lots of time, I'd buy a small boat and really learn to sail it. By small, I mean less that 20'. I would also spend some time crewing on a race boat. You will learn sail trim and the enormous effect different sails can have. The experience of learning on a small boat and racing will give you a fine sailing basis. I would not buy a large vessel, let alone a cat or tri for a first boat. There are so many systems to distract you from "sailing".

Quote:
staying up all night on a bow or helm watch
With all due respect, there is a big difference between standing watch on an air-conditioned bridge and doing 20 hours short handed in even moderate conditions. The sheer physicality of the work is relentless and exhausting. Again, I say this with all due respect but I've been there and know the difference.

Sailnetters - Come on. Let's dial back the political commentary or take it somewhere else. This is SailNet. The guy just provided an explanation regarding why he has time to spend.