Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012

Trusty Shellback is on a distinguished road
Big goals or big dreams?

So I really don't know if my plans are realistic but I have never sailed before and am starting a learn to sail certification course in two weeks. I then plan on buying either a sailboat or preferably a trimaran (I'm thinking about 38' or so from looking at prices) and then taking an advance sailing course on my boat. (I don't need a class on navigation as I am extreamly proficient as well as with no sailing seamanship as I have spent my whole life on the water ans some time at mass maratime academy.). Then from here I hope to make my first sail from boston to Panama before hurricane season next year. Is there some sort of other training I might want to look into? Or something that will prevent me from doing this? Also does anyone know the protocol or what I would need other then a passport to go to an other country and back? Other then a passport? Do you need to go through some sort of customs? Or stop at a certin port? Does the coastguard stop you at sea? I know this isn't an easy feat and in not taking it quite as lightly as my post sounds but I'm also not a kid and even tho I'm a newbie to sails I have pleanty of at sea time in my logbook.

Trusty shellback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2012
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
Re: Big goals or big dreams?

Time and money are the main determinants of whether your goals will be possible. A boat like you're talking about is a major financial outlay. Outfitting and maintenance are also expensive. To a very substantial degree, you can lower the amount of money by substituting time, or making compromises. You can skimp on both of these, but then there's a likelihood you won't be able to make it to Panama.

I'd suggest trying some intermediate steps. It's hard to fully appreciate boat ownership before you've sailed. I'd suggest building some time on a smaller boat, intended for a more limited range, before you dump a bunch of cash into something you won't have the experience to evaluate well.
Old 07-27-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

You would be surprised by the amount of people who live through learning to sail during a circumnavigation BUT IMHP you stand a better chance of both living through it and enjoying it if you take a bit more time learning.

Its hard beyond what most people realize to keep a boat moving 24/7 for long periods of time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The difference between a goal and a dream:
A dream is an idea, a fantasy, always out of reach.
A goal is a dream with a reasonable completion date attached to it, and an achievable plan for getting there. So, set your date, make your plan, and turn your dream into a goal.

Old 07-27-2012

Yeah time and money are two things I don't need to worry about, now don't get me wrong I'm not a millionaire or anything but I have been looking at boats and what I want is well within my price range and I as far as time goes I am on permanent disability from the military so I have all the time in the world. Also that being said even tho i was in the army not the navy i was assignd to a platoon of marines and spend a year with them on a navy vessel so I am very familiar with staying up all night on a bow or helm watch and am fine being at sea for ungodly amounts of time, if just never done any of this on a sailboat. So I guess maybe I'm ahead of the 8 ball on a lot of things a newbie would need to learn.
Old 07-28-2012
Yarr!

Sailmon is on a distinguished road
Ah the unbridled enthusiasm of dreams! How they shed reality and carry our hearts through the despair of unknowing.
I can advise because a few years ago I was in exactly the same situation. I, too had a seemingly big goal/dream of sailing a boat from A to B. I am now 1.5 years in to owning her.
How I did it, not knowing your financial situation, was through patience. I sailed as many boats as possible with as many people I could. I did a lot of research on bluewater boats and made a short list. I saved and kept looking. Yachtworld, boat trader, Craigslist (where I initially found my boat) became my morning reading material.
Then I found her. A 1978 Morgan 382. She was neglected but my intention was to be able to work on her anywhere so me physically replacing or at least working on things became (is) important.
In all that time I have not sailed her but I am getting very close, having taken her from a state of despair.
The point is, take your time. Research and read as much as you can. There's more than 10 ways to make your dreams a reality and nobody will stop you but you.
Old 07-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
There's more than 10 ways to make your dreams a reality
With apologies to Paul Simon...
"Get a Stackpack, on your catamaran, stan, or your bendytoy, roy, listen to me. Get a Wetsnail bus, Gus, (Oh, they've been discussed much,), one hull or three, Lee....
just get yourself free."

Old 07-28-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Read some Triston Jones, I think with your wrold experience, If you hopped off shore on a good size trimaran, you'd probably do pretty good. Read voyage for mad men. if that Crowhearst guy can get as far as he did you probaly can do better. Lesser men have gone farther in lesser boats. You need a passport and boat documents either current registration or documented by the U.S. which is better. The Coast Guard some times hail me when I'm near Cuba, I answere their ?'s and they go on their way. I was boarded at sea once many years ago 100 or so miles south of the caymans. But if your not up to anything illegal, no problem. Each country has slightly diff. clearing in prcedures all of which you can find out in current cruising guides for the particular area. The sailing part is easy, don't let it throw ya......bring a couple of big anchors and some over sized chain with you.
jerryrlitton and Sailmon like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-28-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
With apologies to Paul Simon...
"Get a Stackpack, on your catamaran, stan, or your bendytoy, roy, listen to me. Get a Wetsnail bus, Gus, (Oh, they've been discussed much,), one hull or three, Lee....
just get yourself free."
That's pretty F@#$K"N Funny Jonesy......Westsanail....discussed much
Old 08-03-2012

Thanks everyone that sounds good. I have Actualy started looking at trimarans but it seems like they have a lot less room then corresponding size sailboats. Or maybe it's just the ones I have looked at. I would LOVE to get a pilothouse sailboat but the ones I have seen are more then I'm able to afford right now.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.