Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Calling all Florida sailors

Wow. Good on you to help out with this. My location doesn't work well for help in person, but if you end up looking for donations via pay pal or some other fashion that us remote folks can help with let us know.

This story really touched me and the thought that his home would end up just chopped up is just terrible. Like others have said, this could be a step in the right direction for this fellow and maybe all involved.

A rising tide lifts all boats after all. Hopefully it will carry this one to better waters!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2012

Jacknast76 is on a distinguished road

knothead,

I can help. I'm in Orlando area. It's about 1.5 hr drive to gulfport.
sorry I've no boat, but can provide 1 manpower to the project. PM me with details.

S
Old 07-28-2012

Jacknast76 is on a distinguished road

ahh I saw the flier on smackdaddy's thread. 0800 wed 8/1. I'll be there.
Old 07-28-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknast76 View Post
ahh I saw the flier on smackdaddy's thread. 0800 wed 8/1. I'll be there.
Thanks Jack, Bring your friends.

As far as the Pay Pal thing and donations go. I really don't have the time or the expertise to deal with that sort of stuff.
I just formally begged Sailinman over at CF, who has a lot of organizational experience to coordinate a bunch of things like this. He and David old Jersey seem to be willing to lead this aspect up.
I hope he will call and perhaps he can begin to delegate some of these things.

The city manager of Gulfport said we could only have the pump truck for an hour or so then overtime would kick in. Perhaps some donations could be used to pay a little over time should it become necessary. I'm certain that there are going to be some expenses incurred during this process and I know that there are many that can't actually come to psychically help who would like very much to contribute in some way.
I just don't want anything to do with the money part of it. I don't want to give anyone any reason to question my motives in this whole thing.
Old 07-28-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

I admire your efforts and wish you success. Try posting on Craigslist to get more help.
Old 07-28-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I admire your efforts and wish you success. Try posting on Craigslist to get more help.
Thanks WS. That's been done as well as people putting it on Facebook.
Please keep spreading the word in any way that you can think of.
We need an army to show up.
Old 07-28-2012
Destiny is calling

Bergovoy is on a distinguished road

well, SAILINMAN is no more... apparently I drew too much attention to that username or someone over there, (CF.com) has reported me... I am not sure why I was banned in the first place, if I knew I could apologize and correct it but without knowing, I have to chalk it up to cf being threatened by me somehow...

anyways, their apparent disdain for me again affects positive efforts.. this time the effort to help Knotty and Cap'n Jim... apparently they couldnt have waited until this effort was resolved... oh well...

anyways, for those over here that dont check that 'other forum', I have setup a website for Knotty's effort

FLOAT-A-BOAT.com - Captain Jims salvage project

I would appreciate some pictures that I may use over there, and any text or information that I could paste over there as I am not the best 'wordy' individual...

I dont want to be the 'accountant' or in charge of anything, but do think Knotty will need some funds...

I have contacted and request help from west marine.. hope to find some ground tackle... I was deferred into the routine hyperlink they have on their webpage... i did fill that out and will follow up with corporate on Monday...

If anyone else has an idea as to where to get support or donations from business' in that area, we would appreciate it.. (I am not from that area, but can call if given the contact info/lead)

at this point Knotty/Steve needs comittments for labor for Wednesday... He also needs ground tackle and rode, LONG LONG lines...

He also would like some pumps... the city has offered one, but not sure how long we can utilize it and maybe if we got extra then it will be used to quicken up the time...

He also would like to get several larger displacement powerboats to help tug towards deep water...

if you have access to equipment or boats, please contact me or steve/knotty, or both...
Old 07-28-2012
Destiny is calling

local boater needs help
Old 07-28-2012
Destiny is calling

i have contacted West Marine, JSI and Southwinds magazine to solicit their support... I will keep you advised as to the progress...

btw, I am truly amazed at how little discussion this is generating here vs over at CF..

I really hate that other forum, but they do seem to command the popularity contest... maybe if folks were savvy to their tactics things would swing the other way...???
Old 07-28-2012

Sailboatlarry is on a distinguished road

Forget about the neo-nazi better then everyone attitude at CF. they made me a bit mad this week.

When is the plan to float the boat? 8-1? I cant make it by boat in that time frame. Will try to get a bus ticket over from Miami. I am a TDI certified instructor. Maybe my dive skills could help out.

Larry