Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Calling all Florida sailors

And any others who are up for a road trip.

Some here are familiar with the plight of the fellow who has been stuck on the swimming beach in Gulfport FL since TS Debbie.

Here are links to the newspaper article and a thread about the situation.

Tampabay.com Ė Capt. Jay beached in Gulfport

Cruisers yacht stuck on Gulfport beach in 4 feet of sand - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

There is the expected abundance of misinformation in both the story and the thread, but the bottom line is this. I have agreed to organize an effort to get the boat off. I am very confident that with a concerted effort, enough resources can be put together to accomplish this.

As to whether or not the man deserves our help, I don't know. That's not my concern and it's been well debated in Cup's thread anyway.
My reasoning is that it's better to intervene in someone's life and perhaps set them on a better path than it would be to chop up his home, haul it off to the dump and put him on the street. Maybe the experience and the people he meets will help him to become a more responsible sailor.

Anyway, I'm going to quote my latest update to Cup's thread here in the hope that I can count on your support.

Maybe by pulling together on something like this, we can even help in the effort in "Improving SailNet".

Thanks, Steve

Quote:
Here's the latest update.
Jay called and left a message last night. I spoke to him this morning. He has agreed to accept our help and the accompanying conditions. He was sober and apologetic about his defensiveness last evening.
I haven't heard back from the reporter yet but Jay said he is meeting with her today and will have her call me.
I spoke to the Gulfport city manager, Jim O'Riley about an hour ago and he was very receptive to the idea and intimated that a pump truck could be made available for at least an hour. He isn't worried about a hole in the sand at the swimming beach because no matter what the fate of the boat turns out to be, that will have to be dealt with. He is putting me in touch with Dennis the harbormaster who will work with me.
The target date is Wed. August 1st. High water is 11 minutes after noon. This tide is virtually the same as date suggested earlier which was the day before. Dennis in on vacation until that day.
The boat should be laying on it's side with as many anchors or anchored boats to seaward with lines under tension well before high water.
The more people that show up the better. If each one of them had a some line or come-alongs or anchors that would be even better.
We'll need a bull horn too.
The goal now must be to amass as much gear and ground tackle and commitments from boater and volunteers to show up that morning.
The mast, according to Jay is cracked just below the spreaders, so I have work to do to stabilize it so that it can be used to lever the boat onto her side.

Please, if you have suggestions on how to advertize this so that we can have enough people show up that morning. Post them.
I'm thinking flyers, obviously the follow up newspaper article, phone calls to my customers and colleagues. What else? A web site maybe? Perhaps the donor site could help get the word out.
And lets not forget the forums. PM's, emails.

I do know a good community organizer, but I think he's a little busy these days.

What do you say sailors? Lets get this done.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Calling all Florida sailors

I've been closely reading the events on CF Knotty! It's actually exciting to know your heading up the effort!

Question.. can some sort of float be put under the low side of the keel when the boat is laid over? 1200 feet to "deep" water doesn't seem far....

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Good idea Denise. I'm in contact with a friend in the recovery business here in town and he's going to loan us some stuff if not assist personally.

I posted the wrong link in the op. Here's the newspaper story.

Stuck in the sand on Gulfport Beach, his life at sea slides toward an unhappy end - Tampa Bay Times
Old 07-27-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

It would be an hours work for a sandhog pump or whatever they call them.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2012

UPHILL is on a distinguished road

You are a good man Knothead..

2,654 miles for me, 43 hours

If I could, I would be there.

Best of luck.
Catalina 25 1984 #4558 Swing Keel, Tall Rig
Sailing Payette Lake, Central Idaho USA
------------------------------------------------------

Old 07-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Good people.

This is a thread concerning Knotty and others attempt to help this chap. It is not a thread to discuss whether or not the poor old bugger and/or his boat are worth saving.

Off topic posts will simply be deleted so please if you want to tear strips off him take it to another thread.

Thanks

Andrew B

ps - thread has been stuck until the issue is resolved.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 07-27-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2012

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

I'm too far away to help out in person but if a paypal account were to be setup I would be happy to help out via a $ donation to off set some of the costs. Digging out a grounded boat is thirsty work, perhaps a few dollars for a much deserved pint or two would be in order?

Knotty, a big fat for helping out.

John

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein
Old 07-27-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Great work, knotty.

Old 07-27-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Sending some good vibes your way...

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-27-2012

I guess I missed something. Thanks for keeping things on track tdw.

I have realized from the beginning the magnitude of this endeavor. But I admit to underestimating the magnitude of the organization necessary. I'm beginning to realize that actually getting the boat off may be the easy part.
I've spent more time on line and on the phone today that I have probably the last couple of months.
And I've barely scratched the surface of what needs to be accomplished.

I've contacted a local news station that ran a nice story on my business a few years ago and I am expecting them to get back to me tomorrow. The only problem is that I clam up when facing a camera. So I realize that I have to get someone to do that for me. I have to get people to help me with a lot of this stuff.
Smackdaddy has made a very nice poster and I was able to get a local printer to print them out pro bono. But I need help passing them out. Heck I need help deciding where to pass them out.

There is no doubt in my mind that if enough resources show up, the boat can be moved. The problem lies in getting those resources to show up and coordinating the efforts of an army of volunteers and vessels successfully.
But this is a one shot deal.

I am putting out a plea at this point to anyone that is actually going to be able to show up on Wed. to help me organize this thing.
I think a meeting, preferably in person but possibly virtual. As soon as possible with as many volunteers as possible to determine who is best suited to head up different aspect of the operation would be a very important step.
A way to figure out who is doing what, who is willing to call whom.

It's great to read all the ideas, and the ideas are great. But I don't think I'm personally able to implement them all without some assistance.

I want to bounce all my ideas and intentions off a group of people and get feed back.