SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Cheap moorings in New England? Perhaps? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90219-cheap-moorings-new-england-perhaps.html)

truckmen 07-27-2012 05:26 PM

Cheap moorings in New England? Perhaps?

Hello all! :-)

In creating the voyage plan for our Fairhaven, MA to Bucksport, Maine honeymoon transit during the last 10 days of August, I thought I'd throw this query out there.

Anyone know of a master list (of sorts) of free, cheap or reasonable-priced moorings throughout New England for the tow of us to utilize for our 26-foot Tylercraft?

I'm also seeing how far I can take the gunkholing concept during this sail.

Ralph

sea_hunter 07-27-2012 06:03 PM

There's no free lunch in New England. Anchorages maybe, but moorings are at a premium and most are owned by other's. There's a couple on the Merrimack River you could layover if they're not filled with river rats. Check out ActiveCaptain.com for more info and you can chart your trip there too.

LinekinBayCD 07-27-2012 08:29 PM

Re: Cheap moorings in New England? Perhaps?

The "Crusing Guide to the Maine Coast" mentions free moorings in the descriptions of each harbor when there are some. For example in the Boothbay Harbor area Five Islands harbor and the mooring field at Squirrel Island have a couple of guest moorings. There is no list however. You need to check harbor by harbor. If you are crusing Maine you really need to get that crusing guide.

truckmen 07-28-2012 06:50 AM

Thank you for the replies,

I have
"The Visual Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast", and the
"A Cruising Guide to the New England Coast" but I guess I do not have the
"A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast - 5th Ed.", so I suppose I had better obtain that one as well.

Nonetheless, we're looking forward to doing this transit and the planning of it is fun. I've found some little spots I will probably ask about in later posts to see if anyone know any details about them.

Ralph

Tim R. 07-28-2012 07:35 AM

If you want to do a lot of gunk holing, you will be using your anchor which is free. You can cruise the entire Maine coast without paying a dime if you are familiar with anchoring.

Some small coves do have private moorings that rarely get used by their owners. We have picked these up for an overnight stay plenty of times. Most of them are known only by the locals.

hellosailor 07-28-2012 04:34 PM

"Reasonably priced" and "New England" in the same sentence?

Announcing that you are newlyweds on your honeymoon MIGHT get you some extra slack at yacht club guest moorings, sometimes they're cheaper than commercial marinas.

truckmen 07-28-2012 05:01 PM

We'll be dragging little mini buoys astern (like cans off the back of a car) ;-) but they probably won't make any noise. :-)

We'll be using our anchors a lot. I fact, I'm going to buy another one to total 3 for sure.

azguy 07-30-2012 01:09 PM

Have a great time :cool:

CarbonSink62 08-01-2012 02:24 PM

The Isle of Shoals (just off Portsmouth, NH) has several moorings owned by the Portsmouth Yacht Club. They are often available on weeknights (I'm told). Harder to get on weekends (I'm told). The islands are beautiful (I've seen that for myself).

PYC - (603)436-9877

ParadiseParrot 08-01-2012 03:13 PM

Actually i found a couple free guides showing cheap/free places to moor/anchor.
I'd have to find the link tho.