Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012

champlain94 is on a distinguished road
alberg 30' outboard bracket?

I am looking at an Alberg 30 that has a bad Volvo md-7. I will need to get the boat from Beofort NC to Myrtle Beach. So I want to put an outboard swing
Bracket on and motor. Does anyone know what make and model bracket works well with the slanted stern. Will a 20" shaft motor work or do I need a 25" shaft.
Thank you,
Bryan
Old 07-28-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: alberg 30' outboard bracket?

there's a member here who might be willing to sell you an outboard and a custom bracket. If not he can certainly share his research as he's BTDT.. Chris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Chrisncate has the ideal removeable out board bracket on his Alberg. But, I deliver many a borken boat, it's my niche. When I need to manuver in tight area's, I hip tow, easier than installig a bracket and get's me under way immediatly and I can use any outboard, rather than look for a long shaft. I recently hip towed a 30 something Cal 8 miles in to Marathon with a 3hp nissan. No wind of course or I'd a sailed her in.
Old 07-28-2012
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by champlain94 View Post
I am looking at an Alberg 30 that has a bad Volvo md-7. I will need to get the boat from Beofort NC to Myrtle Beach. So I want to put an outboard swing
Bracket on and motor. Does anyone know what make and model bracket works well with the slanted stern. Will a 20" shaft motor work or do I need a 25" shaft.
Thank you,
Bryan
Hi Champlain94, congrats on maybe getting an A-30

Regarding a bracket, you will need a 25" shaft. I used a Garelick 71033 modified to accommodate a 2hp (yes, 2 hp) Honda four stroke. The modifications were removal of two of the heavy internal springs, and modifying the pad to be 6 to 8" lower as well as accommodate the smaller footprint of the motor clamps.

The spring removal was to make the "push down" of the bracket accommodate a smaller, lighter motor (it calls for a minimum of 7.5 hp), and even with the 25" shaft - you MUST modify the pad on the bracket to be 6 to 8" lower or you won't sit low enough in the water.

I also made a "bracket bracket", meaning I made a base plate that remains permanently attached to the boat, enabling the actual (fugly) bracket to be removed when not in use. Also put two pieces of very heavy black rubber strips to minimize vibration and shock, as well as account for transom curvature when mounting the solid stainless steel base plate (not an issue unless you make a "bracket bracket" like I did, as the Garelick motor bracket isn't a solid piece all the way across).

Pic:

With motor bracket in place

Without (note the base plate - see the two "channels" that run vertically? The bracket slides in and down into those channels)

Motor lives on pushpit rail when not in use, bracket stows in lazzerette.

You'd prolly want a larger motor for your needs - I'd recommend a 6hp and the patience to run with "the flow" where currents might be fast on your route. I can make Annapolis to Oxford in 8.5 hours at half throttle on my 2hp, encountering up to 10 knots on the nose as well as shipping/large boat wakes.

Hope I helped you!

Last edited by chrisncate; 07-28-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2012

Chrisncate,
Thank you very much for your time and help I thought i could use my 20" shaft tiller mercury motor off of my fishing boat but i guess not. Its also a 25hp so propbably to heavy anyway I am now going to look for a 6 to 9.9, 25" tiller motor. Do you recomend mounted the bracket offset. I would like to put a Moniter or cape fear windvane on the boat also. Down the road of course and if I buy it This boat is a 1967 with all bronze through hulls with masonite deck and aluminum mast for $3,000 I am leaving tomarrow morning to go look at it. Owner said head gasket blew coming in against tide. That it always ran perfect before and had full rpm motor is also a 1967 he thinks. Bottom needs cleaning/scraping and mainsheet needs repair other then that its in good shape Also has dingy and spinniker for small added cost. What do you think? He said deck and all chainplates are fine????
Old 07-28-2012
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

You're welcome, I'm happy to help

I do recommend off setting the mount if you intend on a self steering mechanism, however bear in mind that I pull my motor/motor bracket up and off when sailing and mount it on the rail pad, as on a heavy port side heel it'd submerge the motor head or at the very least drag horribly..

My 2hp weighs 27 pounds dripping wet and full of gas, so it's real easy. You might need a crane arm with some block and tackle if you intend to do the same with a heavy motor (unless you have the beef to huck that thing up manually that is).

Regarding the rest, for 3k it sounds like you have a winner. The right deck, good through hulls, a motor that can be rebuilt. Post some pics so I can see her, but even if you don't the deal sounds pretty gravy. As far as the chainplates, they are so easy to make yourself I wouldn't even sweat it at all. I used flat bar silicon bronze 2" x 1/4" by 12' (I wanted extra to use on other stuff) which is easy to cut with a jigsaw and a metal blade (keep the metal wet with motor oil where you are cutting and drilling and it'll go easy). Make the very slight bends in the fore and aft cp's by bending them to match the originals in a vice. It's really easy to do, and don't forget the aft CP behind the lazzertte hatch...

While they are out and being replaced, wrap those forward gussets/knees where the cp's attach, overlapping at least 7" past the knee in both directions with 4 or 5 layers of 8oz cloth, each saturated in a thick but brushable mixture of West epoxy and 407 filler. Fair and paint, bed with butyl, and sleep easy knowing those knees and plates will hold up forever

Feel free to pm me or post pics here, I'm happy to check her out and offer my thoughts. Best of luck!

C
Old 07-28-2012

I found the bracket you recommended online for $249.00. I am gonna shop around though. How far off the centerline of the stern to the outside edge of the bracket should I mount it. I am gonna mount the bracket directly to the boat. That is if I buy it. I take it I won't be able to motor sail with an outboard if I'm healed. I also found a couple newer 25" tiller motors. One 2004 Honda 9.9 asking $1000 and a 2007 mercury 9.9 with 3 hours on it asking $1500 OBO on both and both 4 strokes. Should I put rubber behind the bracket. Will it vibrate and wear the fiberglass? How long and what diameter SS bolts should I get? What kind of backing plate on the inside. I assume I need one. Maybe a one piece SS. In exciting. I can't wait. I hope everything goes as planned. Even if I like the boat tomarrow I can't buy it. I have to go get a loan Tuesday or Wed. Should I tell the bank/credit union it's for a boat? Or maybe take a home equity loan. My house is payed for. I don't want to take a personal loan because of the high interest rates. If I tell them it's for a boat will they make me get it inspected and insure it? I know this should be done anyway but I'm just not going to do this on a $3000 boat that's 30'. I have been a carpenter and electrician all my life. I can go over the boat. Besides it a Masonite cores Alberg sold with a non running motor. I will look over the running rigging, chain plates etc. He told me there's not one blister on the boat. And I believe him. He has pulled it three times sense he has owned it in three years. He bought the boat in the Keys four years ago. I will try to post some pics he sent me. They are of the boat in Fl when he bought it
Old 07-28-2012

Can you load pics here Via an IPhone
Old 07-28-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by champlain94 View Post
Can you load pics here Via an IPhone
No you can't...
But you can download the free "Sailnet" App and the free "Photobucket" App. You take the photos with the Photobucket App which automatically get posted online to your Photobucket account. Then you simply select the icon at the bottom right of the photobucket app and copy the "IMG" link and paste that into a post you create with the Sailnet App.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 07-28-2012

Ok I will do that. Thank you

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.