Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Resealing and rebedding cabin windows/ports with Butyl tape

I used 3m marine silicone sealant to seal the first window I redid and it worked alright. After seeing how fragile the silicone is once its cured I was worried that one big wave or flex in the hull would break the seal.

So I figured I would try it out with butyl tape on the next one and here is how it went.

The first step is to remove the screws from the inside cover.

Unfortunately, half of the screws were stuck and would not come out. In the process of trying everything to remove them I completely stripped them out. Good thing I have a dremel. I cut a new head into the screw so that a flathead screwdriver would remove them

The cover then just pops off

With the pressure off of the window frame it will be easier to get a putty knife in between it and the cabin top. Cut the sealant around the frame and carefully wiggle the frame away from the cabin but be careful the p26 has tempered glass windows and they will break!

I then scraped any silicone, gunk and paint off of the cabin sides.

The old seal was pretty gross. These windows were leaking in hard rains so it was time for replacing.

Once the frame is removed from the cabin the glass can be removed from the frame. To do this there are four screws holding the two piece frame together.

Remove those screws and the window comes apart.

The inside of the frame is gross!

After that I removed the old seal

Then I cleaned the glass and it was gross!

Once the frame and glass are clean, they can be reinstalled. I am using Butyl tape, which I definitely recommend over silicone. Super easy to work with. I cleaned all of the surfaces with acetone before placing the butyl tape on them.

Once its wrapped around I squeezed it to fit around the window

When the butyl tape is wrapped and formed to the glass I removed the wax paper from the butyl tape and placed it into the frame.

The butyl squeezes out once the frame is squeezed together and after I screwed the frame back together, a razor blade easily cleans the butyl up.

I wrapped the butyl around the frame, both on the outer flange and the inner frame that rests against the cabin top.

I wrapped the tape onto the cabin top.

Squeeze the tape around the opening

Slide the window in and Screw the inside piece of the window back in!

Once the window is screwed in cut away the excess tape.

All done!

Its been a couple weeks now and the windows do not leak a drop. I will now seal everything I can find with this stuff. Its great!
Old 07-29-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
I prefer SikaFlex, sandable, paintable and even good under water. East to remove if/when required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2012

Re: Resealing and rebedding cabin windows/ports with Butyl tape

I'm sure sikaflex works great but Im not a fan because its still a curing sealant. They are messy to work with, once the seal is broken it has to be redone, and its expensive.

I bought the butyl for $5 a roll and it did all of my windows. $5. It is non toxic and super easy to work with because it has the consistency of ABC (already been chewed) gum. The thing I like about it the most is that if the seal breaks for some reason, it reseals itself the next time it heats up.
copacabana and AncientTech like this.
Old 07-29-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I agree. Great job!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-29-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

Thank you for providing this information. I really need to do this to two windows in my boat.

I have built several HDPE lined pits and used black butyl tape for the liner, which last 15 years without leaks. I never considered using it for the windows.

I am ordering my supply of white or grey butyl tape.

Thanks Rochelle
Old 07-30-2012

Just realized I posted this in general discussion, maybe it belongs more in the gear and maintenance forum? That is where I meant for it to be. Oops

Feel free to move it
Old 07-30-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road

Nice job and perfect timing as I am going to be doing this with all of my ports after the end of the season.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2012

azguy is on a distinguished road

Looks great and it appears easy enough to do, thanks for the tip
Old 07-31-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure how well the butyl is going to adhere to the smooth glass, especially in cold weather. If it bonds well in all temps then that is an easy way to reseal ports. I used Dow Corning 795 which is an industrial glazing adhesive. Faster (mod here on SN) recommended it and it's an excellent product. As big a job as it is I wouldn't want to experiment.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-31-2012
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Don't think of butyl as bonding like an adhesive, it doesn't. Think of it as a rubbery type substance that never hardens and seals only by the pressure of being bolted between components.

It can break it's seal if not sandwiched under consistent pressure of a through bolted/sandwiched between two items application. It doesn't shrink in cold.. it just gets stiff. If it does develop a leak in cold, a heat gun and a very slight tightening of the fasteners will remedy the situation unless too little for the application was used or too much was squeezed out during the initial install and tightening of the fasteners.

With butyl, even when you have a repair/small leak issue - it's so easy to remedy and fix/work with, there really is no comparison to goops that cure and age.
WildJasmine likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.