Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012

algee is on a distinguished road
Re: Too good to be true??? Help me ASAP!!

I would be sure the seller has a clean Florida title. Don't fall for the old " I lost the title but will give you a bill of sale" it doesn't work in Florida, no matter what the seller says.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

True, you usually don't get a report for a couple of days but that doesn't mean you can't stand behind the guy when he's surveying and ask all the questions you have. At the end of the survey, you will know everything that will be in the written report.
Old 07-30-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
True, you usually don't get a report for a couple of days but that doesn't mean you can't stand behind the guy when he's surveying and ask all the questions you have. At the end of the survey, you will know everything that will be in the written report.
Agree. When I bought my boat we had an agreement written on a piece of paper-and signed by buyer and seller (had sales price with purchase based on survey- survey paid by buyer). I had the boat pulled for the survey. Within an hour the surveyor found nothing major so I told the seller I would buy the boat. Left the boat on the hard for next 4 days and I sanded/painted hull as well as replaced all seacocks. Did not get survey report hard copy for another week.
Regards
Old 07-30-2012

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymckay View Post
Thanks guys

its not a swing keel model which i am very happy about.

Sailing fool sounds like a good idea. I know surveys usually dont report their findings until a few days later, so itll be on stands for a while. in the meantime ill set up a p&s with the guy before the final transaction. Seller cant up the price if survey man finds its worth more market value right? or is that the point of a p&s.
The surveyor works for you (and is paid for by you). You get the results, not the seller. If you decide not to buy the boat, the seller may ask for a copy of the survey, but that's entirely up to you. Often the price will come down after a survey since there are typically things not noticed or not disclosed by the seller. Regardless, the results of a survey are your property.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

It'd be good to know if it's been hauled recently. Other than that, check below all thru hulls, inspect the bilges and make an offer to include the outboard. The cost to outfit any or all of what's on there is all going to be avoided and would cost a bunch. You'd be wanting to buy all of that except maybe the autopilot. The asking price in current market is about right, but it IS a well outfitted boat and that usually goes with a boat worth keeping.
Old 07-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

How capable are you at a self survey? Can you identify serious structural issues? Wet core? Stressed chain plates? Blown sails? Improperly bedded hardware? Etc? If so, you may be good to go. If not, sailingfool's advice is the way to go and the standard for buying a boat. You have to keep in mind that any one big surprise, or even a few that add up, on a boat of this value can make it literally worth less than zero. That's why so many are abandoned at marinas.

Not saying this one is a dud or a gem, just that you need to know your ability to tell the difference.

Hope it works out. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2012

Nielsen01 is on a distinguished road
Once in a while its not too good to be true...

We just purchased our first real boat. Bought without setting foot or seeing the boat...
Ready for this one?

Endeavour 32, 1981...
$1500
Miracles do happen.. Although it wasnt necessary, we just finished with the 2nd coat of barrier. Next trip finish the barrier and on to bottom paint. Next week she gets wet..... Sailnet is Awesome........
Good luck......Cheers.

Jack & Penny
ckmeans likes this.
Old 07-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

People do win the lottery every week. Not everyone.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

Hahaha nice!

Im just gonna spend the money and get her hauled.
Im not one to be lucky at things like this so ima play it safe.
who knows i might be able to knock the price down after it, I couldnt get the vhf to pick up signal, or the head to properly pump.

Im no expert at surveys, ha, so im not gonna trust myself.

p.s. how many of you believe that changing the name is bad luck?
Old 07-30-2012

It's bad luck not to believe in bad luck.
Captainmeme and Jgbrown like this.

Jeanneau 54DS