Family sailing report with photos and embedded questions - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Family sailing report with photos and embedded questions

Oh, and Fordo, regarding the wing and wing: yes, it did give me the chance to demonstrate a couple accidental jibes. Just for training purposes, you understand. I also explained to my family that going downwind always seems less exciting than going upwind, because it seems like there's no wind and you can feel like you're not moving. But the knot meter shows otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Interesting, Mark. I'll try that. Same with all the sheets?
Old 07-30-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Yes.
Old 07-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

RE:
Quote:
I have a 20-ish gallon fresh water tank. This is a 28-year-old boat. Does anyone consider this water drinkable, and if so, what do you do to keep the tank and lines sanitary?
I bought a 25 year old boat. Before I closed the deal, she had been neglected for at least an entire season with filled tanks on a mooring. I thought that the smell was that the holding tank had leaked - until I turned on the faucet in the galley.

After the deal closed, I replaced every hose that I could, and then I hit the 30 gallon tanks with about 1/4 cup in each of this;

According to the manufacturer;
Quote:
Smart Shock is the best way to shock, oxidize, buffer and clarify ... water. Multi-functional Smart Shock also kills bacteria and contains blue algae killing crystals....
After about 3 weeks, I completely flushed out both tanks with fresh water.

Since then I add about 1 tbsp per tank to keep the water clean & clear.

I don't drink from the tanks though. Bottled water for drinking, making coffee and brushing my teeth.
Old 07-31-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Fill the tank and flush all the hoses with a mixture of one tablespoon of chlorine bleach to 5 gallons of water. Let the mixture sit in the tank and hoses for at least an hour. Rinse with fresh water. After that it will be quite safe to drink the water from your system.

It is still possible, however, that the water will not taste good to you. In that case you could try an additional rinse with mixtures of vinegar and water, or baking soda and water. If none of this works, time to replace the hoses and the tank.

Some people, though, are just very sensitive to the slight plastic taste/odor that comes from such water tanks, and no amount of cleaning and disinfecting will make the water taste good to them. If that's you, you might need to switch to a stainless steel water tank.

If you do that, DO NOT EVER use chlorine bleach to disinfect a stainless steel tank! Bleach and stainless steel do not play nice together.
Old 07-31-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Beautiful photos - we try and have the kids drive no matter how young

Old 07-31-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

honestly I would never drink from a potable water system on a boat/rv. A municipal water supply is a sealed, pressurized system that's always moving. A boat/RV tank gets filled from a garden hose, then used sporaically, setting unused for long periods of time. That's just way too much opportunity for bacteria to grow.

Way I see it, it's similar to opening a bottle of water, taking a sip, then putting the cap on halfway, and leaving it in the corner of a room for a few weeks.
Old 07-31-2012

Merit25lovers is on a distinguished road

Looks like some wonderful family fun!

I found this video to be very informative on backstay tension - especially the video of the actual sail with and without backstay tension...

Backstay Tension Video | Boat De Jour

Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
honestly I would never drink from a potable water system on a boat/rv.
And yet millions of people worldwide do just that every year, and only the tiniest of fractions of them ever suffer any ill effects.

Properly cared for, the drinking water system on any boat or RV can be just as safe as your municipal water system (probably safer than many).
Old 08-02-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing your sail.

We all deal with no wind, bad weather, navigating shallow waters, continuous maintenance and endless projects, and then we get that Nirvana sail; perfect company, perfect wind, perfect scenery,.... and it's all worth while. We have a 70/30 rule. 70% enjoyable and 30% suck rule, when the 30% increases and increases then we will need to discuss if it's worth it anymore.

We have a 7 yr old and 9 yr old, and I am hoping to provide them with a great childhood memories sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. We do get the "I'm bored" and "We are going too slow, can we turn the motor on?". I let both of them drive the sailboat, sent the oldest to Sail Camp which now knows more knots then my wife and let them be involved with everything sailing. And making sure they brought their Nook or handheld PSP, just when you just get keep their attention anymore.

Our potable water system is very much drinkable and have installed a low cost filtration system within the waterline and pressure system. Just need to maintain the system.

We have a masthead too with a hydraulic tension backstay. Tightening the backstay will help flatten out the mainsail when the wind picks up but honestly, I don't see much of a difference on my current rig. We get better results adjusting our cunningham and outhaul for fine tuning sail adjustments. Long time ago, we had a 7/8 fraction rig racer / cruiser and adjusting the backstay was much more noticeable.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.