Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012

RayThackeray is on a distinguished road
Re: The great sailboat giveaway!

Dear me, there is an awful lot of skepticism out there. However, I can assure you we are real. We have two boats to be despatched on 7th October, and you can check us out on GuideStar, which is a nonprofits register, with the IRS, and with the California attorney's office and online registry.

Yes, International Rescue Group is a startup nonprofit organization, but we have real equipment and real people who are headed out to two cruising stations, the South China Sea and North America Pacific.

Are new organizations not allowed to exist?

We are also reaching out to cruisers worldwide to join the IRG Reserve, and rather than me try to explain that all here, you can check it out online.

For the first time, with the internet, WiFi and ubiquitous smartphones and access, it's possible to reach out in a timely manner to the approximately 10,000 cruising yachts worldwide. I can assure you that our site is scalable, is growing and even if you're not convinced now, come back in a year or two and read our mission reports.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2012

We are only connected with the Floating Doctors by providing a link to their site because we admire what they are doing. To my knowledge, they are still operating and doing a great job helping underprivileged coastal communities. Perhaps you are thinking of another organization?

Is there a requirement for a nonprofit to clear with the moderators? I looked through the policies, and it wasn't too clear. Perhaps the moderators will contact me if this is outside of policies, though I'd find it difficult to understand why it would be wrong for a charity to search for a crew for one of our disaster relief boats...

I don't know what happened to your search, but I can assure you that GDACS (Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System) is a most respectable network, a cooperation framework between the United Nations, the European Commission and disaster managers worldwide to improve alerts, information exchange and coordination in the first phase after major sudden-onset disasters.

I can assure you that the video you mention is actually me. We are very cheap, I recorded it with my smartphone and clipped it together on my PC. My apologies if somehow the soundtrack is not properly synched, but when I view it online it appears to be OK.

Yes, we are a new organization. Is that wrong?

But the confluence with easy WiFi/smartphone/internet access by cruisers around the world is, for the first time, making it possible for this kind of organization to exist; read more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Uh...lets see some real credentials! IE, letters from known Disaster relief agencies for example.

Did you clear your out of the blue proposal with the Moderators here on SN?

free and boat should never be used in the same sentence..

Oh.. your connected with sailing doctors! another outfit that poofed in and out.

GDACS.org doesn't produce anything but timed out searches

your video is a voice over the person talking

Your website has only had about 231 hits as of when I checked it. Kinda new website it seems to be
Old 07-30-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Well I think it sounds like a great idea, that is the concept is good. The execution I am not so sure about. I'm not sure how many people there are who could afford the costs to maintain a boat to a safe standard, but couldn't afford the purchase price. Especially since 2 years of cruising means no time at home generating income...
You say the crew is expected to maintain it, but who defines what maintaining is??
Who pays when it needs new sails, major engine work etc? I would be unhappy re-powering my own boat, nevermind another person's boat!
Old 07-30-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

There may be less skepticism if you were more honest, Ray.

You are not "giving away" a boat- you are loaning a boat to someone for two years, during which time they are apparently responsible for all costs incurred, including maintenance deferred from before they took possession.
At the end of two years you get a boat back in as good , or better condition then when it left your hands.

I applaud idealism- I deplore dishonesty disguised as charity, designed to dupe dummies into doing deals denied due diligence.

You defensively state in one post that you are new, then in another discuss how you have people comfortable with this boat loan arrangement, as if this has been a longstanding practice, then reveal that...
YOU HAVEN'T LAUNCHED A SINGLE BOAT YET!
and won't until Oct. 7.

I suggest you hire a PR person, Ray- your defensive posture and fuzzy way with information disemination ain't winning you converts.
msmith10 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 07-30-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2012

Thank you for your approval of our concept. We make no illusions, IRG is a startup organization - every org has to start somewhere, this is where we are now.

Getting boats is no problem - we are successfully doing that, with more in the pipeline.

Getting crews is not difficult, we already have a number who want this boat. They all fully accept it's up to them to maintain the boat. I do accept your point about major failures, and we have in fact thought that through. We are getting a constant flow of donated equipment, and are confident that we can keep our boats active, even in the expensive cases such as repowering.

As an example, we had one wonderful benefactor donate major generators and motors, brand new, worth $160,000 on the market, for one of our boats. So yes, some of our vessels will be awaiting work at any particular time, but hopefully not when they are really needed.

Despite the skepticism, we are charging ahead and not letting anything get in our way. IRG will be operational this November, and we plan to have a boat in many regions by end 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Well I think it sounds like a great idea, that is the concept is good. The execution I am not so sure about. I'm not sure how many people there are who could afford the costs to maintain a boat to a safe standard, but couldn't afford the purchase price. Especially since 2 years of cruising means no time at home generating income...
You say the crew is expected to maintain it, but who defines what maintaining is??
Who pays when it needs new sails, major engine work etc? I would be unhappy re-powering my own boat, nevermind another person's boat!
Old 07-31-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

The moderators have decided that our members should choose for themselves whether to support this organization but it should be understood that allowing the thread does not imply endorsement by SailNet. In addition, we moderators want to make it clear that questioning them is allowed, since they invited it by posting, but consistent with forum rule, bashing and belligerence won't be tolerated. We are allowing the thread to remain open after doing our due diligence which could not find anything concrete through publicly available channels to indicate that they aren't who they say they are and doing what they say they intend to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 07-31-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

i think it would be a waste of time and money for the crew. Not making money and loosing 2 year.
Old 07-31-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
sounds like the group of kids that were looking for a free boat to do "ocean research" last year.
I remember that....called 'em out...turned out to be a group of kids masquerading as a non-profit, wanting a free boat so they could live aboard, sail all over the world and dive, looking for treasure. Any they found would be "sold" to local museums and any profits would be donated. LOL...good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I deplore dishonesty disguised as charity, designed to dupe dummies into doing deals denied due diligence.
Absolutely awesome. Try saying that fast, even once. I'm writing that one down.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-31-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

hey joe why are you never on the chat?
Old 07-31-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

I can afford a boat, I just can't afford to bum around the coast for two years.

Then comes the question, if these crews are bumming around the coast "free to cruise" and disaster strikes, how are you going to get those boats back, loaded with supplies, and then deployed to the disaster site in any sort of timely manner?

How are you even going to load these boats with rescue supplies on top of cruising supplies?

I'm doubtful you're going to find anyone ready to pay their own way and the cost of a boat for two years to do this, but I'm even more doubtful that any logistics planning has been put into how this would actually work.

Raffle the donated boats and donate it to Red Cross disaster relief.

Tags
disaster relief , thunderbirds