Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: The great sailboat giveaway!

Well GDACS is magically online this morning. It appears to be a new site also.

I'll stick with the Red Cross should I feel an overwhelming need to donate or help disaster relief.

"Help us fix up boats to sell and donate the proceeds to disaster relief"
Would be a more appropriate ave. to drive imho.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

Cool idea. Sounds like a great opportunity for the right person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayThackeray View Post
I suspect you are displaying a sense of humor?! I think all your questions will be answered on this website International Rescue Group - Coastal post-disaster rescue

Like all charities, IRG is a nonprofit dependent on volunteers. We are accepting donated boats and allocating them to volunteer crew. There are plenty of people who would love a boat but can't afford one, we are providing people a chance to cruise an agreed station and, when emergencies occur like tsunami, earthquake, hurricane etc., within reach, take medical supplies and other life-saving items to the post-disaster zone under IRG's direction.

I'd hardly call it "indentured servitude"!

Captain Ray
Founder, International Rescue Group
jppp likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 07-31-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
hey joe why are you never on the chat?
I absolutely detest online chat. I have enough interrupts in my life as it is, with phone, mobile phone, text messages, pagers, email.....and I am forced to use MOC (Microsoft Communicator) during work hours....it's a serious pain in the ass when you're focusing on something or busy and someone pops up a conversation on your desktop....you're obliged to answer it in a timely manner (so as not to be rude)....

I used IRC alot way back when it first came out....it just got to be such an intrusion when you get online and multiple windows start popping up.

I just like to have more control over my communications....when I respond...the medium used....and I know you can control your online visibility and all...I just prefer not to use them.
msmith10 and CapnBones like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-31-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

It seems unlikely that a handful of sailboats could offer material succor to disasters happening in random locations around the world. would this be a conceit depending on having no concept of global distance and sailing times?

One thing does seem for sure - the organizer is building a custom boat, and plans to cruise the south seas for a few years, all apparently with other people's money.
deniseO30, ottos and JoeDiver like this.

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-31-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
One thing does seem for sure - the organizer is building a custom boat, and plans to cruise the south seas for a few years, all apparently with other people's money.
Joins SF on the couch

My boat is for sale.

Old 07-31-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

These jokers would go ... but they'll also need someone else's money to do it.

Sailboat Needed
Old 07-31-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

I think I can see some potential. The idea seems to be, (I assume the boat will be preloaded with medical supplies), cruise near potential disaster spots, when disaster seems iminent cruise closer, and call other volunteers on radio, and coordinate efforts.

As a Red cross plane will beat you to the disaster everytime, you will be mostly operating as a mobile floating command post.

You will in return get a free, (lower than owning), cost floating room, that you will work to pay for by fundraising for this organisation.

Assuming you are already financially taken care of, and wan't to help people, I don't see a big problem.
Old 07-31-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Ever since the dot com bust in 2000, more and more entrepreneurs have abandoned the private start-up world as a means of building wealth, and in stead have discovered the joys of non-profits. What good the non-profit may do, does not really matter, as long as it appeals to some bone in the American public body.

I think the most recent local example, was the guy jamming people into a centerboard boat, then collecting donations. Tossed a boatload into San Diego bay.

The possibilities are endless, and the business plans don't need to stand the test of a unforgiving market, just that of a gullible public.
Old 07-31-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Well I'm starting to think it sounds much more reasonable, that any major repairs/refit would be provided for by the organization(eg re-powering, pumps, tanks hoses etc).

While upkeep(cleaning the bottom, pumping out, general boat care) would be provided by the volunteers.

In regards to location, I think the idea is less that boats would be passage-making and crossing oceans, but more that these boats would be stationed cruising in areas that might need assistance, with a large amount of their available storage used to store goods which would be needed in that emergency, which is actually a fairly interesting concept, initially not helpful, but if it scales up well it could actually be quite interesting with enough of them around.

Sort of like HAM radio people and their integration into disaster relief groups.

Would there be some provision for returning to work for some time to continue funding the cruising, 2 years is a long haul without the ability to make some money to pay for it.

I've noticed this with other groups, the issue is rarely getting donations of equipment and vehicles, there's so much excess floating around unused that that's the easy part, the hard part is actually being able to put it to good use.
There is a small organization here that has had good success with donated tools and equipment that would otherwise go for scrap, mostly funded out of the founders' pockets and a huge amount of hard work, the kind of work you'd only do for a goal you believed in. It's now a community shop with affordable workshops on any topic for which they have the tools, and access to the sorts of tools that I couldn't afford to have on my own, for less than I pay for internet each month.
One of the founders lives aboard a boat near me that he is slowly restoring after saving it from the scrap heap since there were so few made.
He started a repair shop, and worked hard to create a solid business repairing cars, he's one of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met, with the integrity and honesty that is rarely see. They certainly aren't making a huge profit(considering that they work for free to make it run, and put tons of money into it). If they ever do make it to the point they can draw a salary for their hours I would certainly think it reasonable considering the risks, effort and labor they've put in.
He's an entrepreneur alright, and he's built a sold business doing good work, skills he now leverages to help others, so not everyone doing so is as you suggest.

Vancouver Community Laboratory
Old 07-31-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I can just stow enough stuff aboard to keep myself alive let alone enough stuff at 5 knots to be any good to anybody else ?

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Tags
disaster relief , thunderbirds

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.