Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Re: The great sailboat giveaway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I can just stow enough stuff aboard to keep myself alive let alone enough stuff at 5 knots to be any good to anybody else ?
exactly!
Jim
Old 08-01-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

I don't really understand how this is an effective way of disaster relief. The amount of time and money it takes to keep a boat cruising is..well... we all know it is. The people who need help would get way more by just taking that time and money spent cruising and donating to the red cross or buying cases of water etc and having it shipped to the affected area.

Seems like a fun and innovative idea. Just not terribly useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2012

w00dc4ip is on a distinguished road

I notice the OP has stopped responding, seems to me there are motives at work other than disaster relief. I've come up with a few venture ideas over the years (one even sailing related) that work well as non-profits, and do in fact provide a good service to the larger community, but they provide a greater service to the founder. That seems like what is happening here. My gut is telling me the OP is trying to fund his own 2-year cruise.

Unlike some here, I don't fault him for it. If it works and does provide a service, I say best of luck. Given a crappy economic outlook, and people who want to just get away and cruise for a few years, here's one way to do it without the cost of buying a boat.
Old 08-01-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Ray, your web site makes it clear that you are not giving away a boat. And as I said on another forum, where your post was apparently pulled by the moderators, you are likely to get in trouble with state and federal authorities for advertising it as a "giveaway" when in fact you are NOT giving it away.

Your web site makes it clear that after you have trained someone, you will LEND them the boat for two years, IF they agree to perform services for you on an as-needed when-needed open basis.

That's pretty much like saying you're looking for a CARETAKER to live aboard your boat, unpaid for the rest of their work but getting free housing in exchange for their work.

If you were giving it away, you'd be conducting some sort of lottery or other selection process, and then transferring the title to the vessel without further complications or conditions.

You're not doing that, you're making a barter deal for someone to work for you. And, one hopes, remembering to report that barter income to the IRS as what it is. I have to wonder, given the contract conditions, if they'd also consider you to be an employer and subject to federal labor and tax laws from that aspect as well. The boat is your property, your terms, sure sounds like an employment situation.

Got your 501(c)3 from them yet, while you're at it?

The organization sounds like a clever idea, but when free isn't free--that's not so clever.

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-01-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2012

maisis00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayThackeray View Post
when emergencies occur like tsunami, earthquake, hurricane etc., within reach, take medical supplies and other life-saving items to the post-disaster zone under IRG's direction.

That's extremely cool! It sounds like a civilian sea corp or something. If I had the time to commit to it; I would jump onboard your effort in a heart beat. I wish your organization the best of luck. That sounds like both a fun and noble idea. It's sad, but I can't remember the last time I was able to use fun and noble in the same sentence.
Old 08-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

okay, look i am a sailor who loves sailing but come on-
who in their right mind puts "first responder" together with "sailboat" and "disaster relief"?

A boat showing up two weeks after the event with 200-300 lbs of supplies is less than useless- it is a nuisance.
D'you really think the authorities involved really want some unaccredited jury-rigged NGO-wannabe in an old sailboat cluttering up an already chaotic tsunami zone? You're just one more piece of flotsam.
This is where alleged good intentions collide with ego at the crossroads of ill-conceived and not fully thought through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Much as I don't like being the bearer of harsh realities, I think bljones has hit the nail on the head with this one. Disaster relief needs to be timely and sailboats don't really meet that requirement in general (especially not when loaded down with stuff).

I've seen charities that involved sailboats before that work, but they didn't require a fast response to a random event. Doctors, nurses, and even an optometrist who sailed the island providing free healthcare for those unable to get to it are an example. Another one was the ferrying of medical & educational supplies to said islands. If they are a week or two off on their delivery - they will still be doing a great service for these folks. If you're a week or two off providing disaster relief (in a world where supplies can be airdropped) - you're more likely to be a hinderance than help.
Old 08-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Among idsaster workers and NVOADS (the non-govenrmental agencies) there's been a lot of discussion about the way that in recent years, everyone wants to form their own agency (creating extra overhead and coordination problems) rather than simply work for or fund one of the major ones. Often over philosophic disagreements, sometimes over concerns about employee theft and other real issues. Sometimes, for other reasons.

A sailboat somewhere within a couple of thousand miles, constraining by weather and the need to divert to pickup up stocks that could probably move faster by air or ocean freight? And needing to divert again for a visa and resupply? Able to make just how much water from what limited fuel supplies for what limited distribution?

I wouldn't say it can't be done, I would question the effectiveness versus "keep out of the way, don't drain local resources, just send money" since blankets, shoes, water, are all easier to distribute in bulk from consistent sources.

On the other hand, this is a wonderful way to put those old used boat "in service" to a registered charity for two years, so they can be taken as deductions for 3x-5x their current market value.

But sending one small boat into a harbor to make water, I wonder how long the watermaker puts out, and if there wouldn't be "security" aspects to worry over as well.

"But it was the very best of butter!" comes to mind.

Last edited by hellosailor; 08-02-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-02-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

The whole proposal that this thread starts with is borderline preposterous. With the way supplies are air lifted and shipped within hours it makes more sense to send the goods that way. Sailing to a disaster is also preposterous. What will happen; The starry eyed do good "help the needy" people would take this boat. fix it up.. find out they can't do the "mission" and then and the boat gets returned to the "organization" of one. lol Which of course provides a boat that is in better condition then when it left. Nothing is free about CaptainRT's proposal.
JoeDiver likes this.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-02-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Among idsaster workers and NVOADS (the non-govenrmental agencies) there's been a lot of discussion about the way that in recent years, everyone wants to form their own agency (creating extra overhead and coordination problems) rather than simply work for or fund one of the major ones.
Because everyone wants to be the Boss. Why work for someone else when you can be the head honcho? Who wants to take orders from someone else?

I think BJ nailed it down too. A slow sailboat with limited capacity will be ineffective compared to modern emergency response capability.

This sounds like a very cleverly cloaked way for only the very top layer to benefit....financially, materially......they seem to have their bases covered with an impressive website, tons of support, accolades, sponsorship, media coverage....so can't come right out and call it a scam......

But look close.....peel back some layers....and think rationally....and I think most folks can see what's really going on here.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas

Tags
disaster relief , thunderbirds