Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012

ckmeans is on a distinguished road
Buying a Hunter 30...Another Update..

Hi folks,

So last week I had posted about the 76 Hunter 30' for $4000 I had found...I've looked at the boat 3 times now, twice on my own and once with the owner...The owner is just out of college and had purchased the boat in April and has never used it. It's clear he was just trying to flip it for profit. He showed me some great paper work that showed $13k worth of work in 2009 which included new keel bolts, mast step work, new chain plates, awgrip on the deck, etc...so,its obviously a great deal and we're going to start her up Wednesday...

My hesitations which I need your help getting past...I have about $6k saved for this...but the costs of just finishing the season with it are adding up...$600 for insurance...I've got a few quotes, this includes a survey, $200 to document, $790 for a mooring with launch service through October...then I have winter storage or bringing it home to worry about...$1440 for storage or 1580 to bring it home, take the mast Dow, and bring it back in the spring....

So, for this season I'm looking at about $3k in addition expenses...perhaps I can offer less, maybe $3500 to offset it a bit but it's a big upfront hit...I've
checked yacht clubs in the area as they are much cheaper but they all have waiting lists...do I bite the bullet and go for it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a Hunter 30...Another Update..

Well you will have to pay those cost with any other boats too. go for it.
Old 07-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For starters, I would want to a professional to tell me that the boat was worth buying at all, unless you are particularly skilled at doing a boat survey. If you simply need to replace the rigging, you could have to double your investment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I'm going to say no, don't go for it. It sounds like it might be an ok deal, but by the financial concerns/questions you're asking it (appears) that you're cutting it real close to what you can handle, which often has a way of leading to disaster. One unforeseen problem or unforeseen expense, and it sounds like you're going to be devastated and boxed into a corner.

Owning a boat is assuming debt right off the bat, and this is something they never tell you in the beginning. The minute she becomes yours, you're on the hook (ha, unintended pun) for a couple of grand a year - maybe more. A 4k boat is immediately a 7k boat (loose numbers, just generalizing) due to your brand new debt load of owning a giant object that you have to control, maintain and pay for to exist on this planet somewhere.

If you can handle the thing financially no matter what happens, then forget what I just wrote. If you're cutting it close to broke and are hoping nothing goes wrong, you're asking for problems - Neptune loves to call out the nautical gambler.

Best of luck either way, I'll be following this thread
sneuman likes this.
Old 07-31-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Buying a Hunter 30...Another Update..

Ditto on don't do it. Chances are nearly 100% you'll have unforeseen repairs of at least 2K, just given the age of the boat.
Old 07-31-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

Damit just give it a change take the boat, Buy it. Go for it.
Old 07-31-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Buy the boat (or find another one and buy it). If finanance are an issue, one of two things will happen: your lifestyle will adjust to accomodate the sailing addiction, or the increased financial stress will cure you of the sailing addiction. Unless this causes you to financially collapse, you'll regret not having done this five years from now.
HDChopper likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-31-2012

irmedic is on a distinguished road

I bought one of these boats last year for $6k. Pending a survey it sounds like a good deal.

Write this on your arm Bail Out Another Thousand
Old 07-31-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

You can eliminate some of these costs.

Why unstep the mast? I store my boat in the water all winter with the rig up. You just have to winterize properly, and be diligent about checking on her.

Okay, let's say that you have to bring her home for the winter and unstep the mast and all that jazz. Let's assume that the boat needs work to the tune of $1k - 2k.

Why not just forgo sailing this year, bring the boat home, do all the work she needs now and over the winter, and splash her next spring?

That way, you'll avoid all the launching, recovery, and mooring expenses this year and you'll knock out all of the work she needs. You can get a fresh start next spring.
ckmeans likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Everyone should go for it. Everyone should buy a boat. That's the party line, especially here.

However, that doesn't mean buy any boat. There is a place for functional insanity.
sneuman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.