Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimrafford

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012

saltidog is on a distinguished road
Atlantic marine life over time

As an ole Phart who did an East-West trans-Atlantic back in '82, I was amazed at the time at the amount of wildlife mid-ocean. Jumped off from Gran Canaria SW to a point about 250 miles NW of Cape Verde Isles and hung a right over to Antigua. Every dawn and dusk we witnessed the feeding frenzy of huge fish chasing big fish, attempting to catch and eat 'em, and big fish chasing smaller fish, and so ad infinitum. We had two days of horizon to horizon Portugese Men-of War. After a mini-storm, the rolling wave tops from horizon to horizon full of large fish surfing the waves. And so I could go on.

I wonder hearing all the gloom and doom of the demise of ocean life what it's really like out there these days. Any one care to share their current experiences?.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2012

elvishessler is on a distinguished road
Re: Atlantic marine life over time

This is a bump to the top. I would like to know as well.
Old 08-02-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I'll bump again because I am curious myself.

Don't think there are really that many trans atlantic sailors out there so this might have to be bumped until one replies!
Old 08-02-2012

Thanks folks. Surprised a little that we've no responses to the question yet. Would love to get out there again myself , but being on borrowed time ( the three score years and ten bit) that is probably unlikely.
Old 08-02-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

Well I can't speak for out in the middle of Atlantic but I have been out to the canyons (end of the continental shelf 100 to 200 miles out) a couple times in the past few years. There is alot of life out there and on the way out there i.e. dolphin, porpoise, whales, squid, flying fish, and of course the game fish that we're after such as tuna, mahi, swordfish, and sharks. But... it seems like alot to me (a 27 year old) the old guys always say how crappy it is compared to when they were young. How infrequently you catch big ones anymore, how a good day of fishing today would have been a crappy one back in the day. Of course I'm talking about relatively close to land and the areas where commercial fishing in hot for long liners and netters. But going on what the old guys say (and they all say the same thing) it ain't what it used to be...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 08-02-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

The problem is, the only one who can fairly compare the two is someone who was out there in 1982 (or 1972, or 1962..), and then is out there again in 2012. The notion that the volume of marine life -- in a body of water so vast as the Atlantic Ocean -- could be markedly reduced in only 30 years is incredibly troubling.

Malthus may yet be vindicated.
Old 08-02-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Can't say for open ocean but as far as going 100 miles out I've been game fishing off Montauk and Block since the late 60's.Tuna off all sizes used to be everywhere. Over the years we had to go farther and farther out to find fish. About 5 years ago we stopped going. The cost of fuel and maybe one tuna was discouraging.
Jim
HDChopper likes this.
Old 08-02-2012

Dear Chadfunk48. Wouldn't dream of interfering with your member. Great to hear from you - but please be careful of refering to your elders as "the old guys" I'm one of them and hate to reminded of same. Almost suggests a new thread about when is it time for "Old guys" to throw in the anchor.