SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How old is too old

3K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Capt.aaron 
#1 ·
New to the forum, but have read many great responsed and decided to jump in. I am looking for a 25 to 30 footer and have a found a great C&C 27. I have spoken to a marine surveyor who will do the inspection. However, even if the survey turns out OK, I am still nervous about buying a 40 year old boat. Are my concerns warranted or is an old boat that has been taken care of just as good as a newer one. Where I am at ( Lake Superior) the slip is reasonable so I will have a littel extra budget for annual maintainence.
Thanks Carl

#5 ·
Alot happens in 30-40 years. The thing is to find out what has happend or not happened as the case may be for a particular boat. "Well Maintained" is pretty much advertising jargon.
You can break a sailboat down into basic systems. Not all of a "well maintained" boat will be 30-40 years old.
First, hull and deck.
Then mast spars and standing rigging.
Then sails and running rigging.
Followed by auxillary.
And last accessories.
Only one of these categories will for sure be 30-40 years old. Everything else could be somewhat newer. As far as I know, fiberglass has not been around long enough to know its finite lifetime, yet is has been around long enough to know what kinds of conditions, events and processes can cause it to be a write off.
As a general rule, if the auxilary is 30-40 years old and has not had a recent overhaul, then don't bid on that particular boat. A replacement engine can cost more that the market value of a good old boat.
Also, as a general rule, any electronics older that about 5 years should be discounted to no value. (If you have to haul the boat to replace an old depth sounder, it had no value at time of sale.)
Just make sure you are onboard when the survey is conducted and have the surveyor show and tell you what items he finds to be in need of repair or replacement. And make sure the surveyor understands your quality requirements. After the survey, you can spreadsheet every thing you require to make it safe and enjoyable, and do your decision making from there.
Have fun shopping, and read all of those "which boat" threads. They are fun and interesting and full of opinions and good advice.

#6 ·
As others have said, age isn't necessarily a key factor in the condition of the boat. There are many, many old boats out there that are perfectly seaworthy.

However, if you intend to have it insured you'd beter make a few phone calls to insurers before you finalize the purchase.

#7 ·
has the boat been in fresh water most of the time? it will not have the corrosion problems you get in salt water. my boat has been in lake superior ever since the shake down cruise in florida when it was built in 1994. everything is in great shape and i think it will stay that way for many years. are you in duluth, mn or superior, wi , the twin ports ? i keep my 30 ft nimble express in duluth.

#8 ·
As I've said before, you need to think of boats more like houses than cars. In Europe there are thousands of houses still in use that are hundreds of years old.

Boats are much the same - they can go on indefinitely if they are maintained.

#9 ·
ccriders hit it all on the head. I'm sailing a 76 Sundance that was at time of purchase in very good condition. As with all boats, things needed to be done, pretty minor stuff, and it's in even better shape now.

I hope she passes muster, and then enjoy.

My boat is my home away from home.

#11 ·
Charlize Theron is 37.

So is Russell Brand

the right question to ask is, "How neglected is too neglected?"
cc has the right idea- break the boat down into it's systems and evaluate each system.

Then gut-check yourself, and do an honest appraisal of your current skillset and your interest in short-term and long-term projects AND your current financial situation.
Then ask someone you trust to evaluate your skillset and attention span.
Then, refrain from yelling at them and/or hitting them.
See all those boats in the back of the boatyards and marinas going for a song?
Their owners didn't do this part. They overestimated their ability, funds and attention span and underestimated what the boat needed.

#12 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I have to agree with you, it is not the age mur rhe care provided. Last year i bought a 35 years old MacGregor Ventire 25. She was well maintained but need few fixes. Since my wife and I love doing manual work, we negociated a good price and took over this project. I would say find your boar, get her evaluated and evaluate how much time you want to spend fixing her to bring it to your needs and enjoy All this time learning your new boat!

#16 ·
I daresay, in most cases they were a lot thicker than now. When I did the keel on my 1970 Columbia 43, the bottom in way of the keel bolts was 2" thick and that was from the bilge to the top of the recess the keel fit into - alongside that recess it was at least 2" thicker.

#20 ·
I concur with CCRider. Be there when the surveyor arrives. And if possible hear what the owner says about his experience with the boat. Keep known issues to yourself till the surveyor completes his task. Once he sends his report collaborate your findings. Even then the both of you will more than likely miss a few issues.
Old boats are fun but challenging, find a few good books on maintenance. Likely you will expand your knowledge base.

#21 ·
Even brand new boats need some maintenance. Older boats generally need more, depending on how neglected they are.
It is all about how well maintained the boat has been kept during its years afloat.

That said, our 45 year old Tartan 27' is in good shape but after 10 years of ownership we may be installing a new head on the Atomic 4 because of an exhaust leak.

Ship happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.