Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012

telecam is on a distinguished road
Re: Myrtle Beach, SC to Annapolis, MD

I don't have all the details yet but Moorings (I bought her through them) told me they do most deliveries by water. They (or Beneteau) must have a boat yard on the ICW. Once it's at Moorings Annapolis base, they'll be responsible for fixing any issues and repair/replace items under warranty.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecam View Post
I don't have all the details yet but Moorings (I bought her through them) told me they do most deliveries by water. They (or Beneteau) must have a boat yard on the ICW. Once it's at Moorings Annapolis base, they'll be responsible for fixing any issues and repair/replace items under warranty.
Makes better sense now.

I wish I could join you it should be a great trip. I'm a Chessy sailor and SC native so its a trip I hope to make one of these days.
Old 08-02-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am taking delivery of a new Oceanis 41 from Beneteau SC factory late september and sailing her to her home port in Annapolis, MD. I have never been on the ICW before. How many days should I reasonably plan the trip to take (i.e, not sailing 24/7, more like 12/14 hrs/day). There will be two of us taking turns and I assume it will be mostly motoring until at least we get to the mouth of the Chesapeake.
Quote:
The Moorings does indeed have a practice of delivering boats all over the place on their own bottoms.

I wasn't aware of a factory delivery program for Beneteau USA so I called them and asked. They do not have such a program but will work with the selling dealer (in this case Moorings, who after all carry a lot of weight with Beneteau) to make it work.

The corporate sales guy I spoke with said that he suspected a facility would be selected in Charleston SC for commissioning and delivery. I asked about Georgetown and Wilmington; he said that could be worked out but he didn't sound too excited about the idea.

I took delivery of my boat at the factory in Europe and sailed back to Annapolis, so I'm predisposed to your idea. That said, what are you trying to accomplish? What do you want to experience or see?

For myself, on that boat, I'd head out from Charleston and run offshore to the Chesapeake Bay and on to Annapolis. Probably four days.

On the other hand, you can run up the ICW as you seem to be planning. The classic cruiser average is 50 miles/day with stops for a day or so in some places. If you push you can make 70 miles/day. Charleston SC is about ICW MM 570. That's between twelve and eight days to Norfolk. Norfolk to Annapolis should be 18 to 20 hours sailing time, or one to three days.

If you use the ICW you'll want to check weather on the VHF each morning. I strongly recommend some mobile Internet or one of the ActiveCaptain-enabled navigation packages on a laptop or smartphone. You MUST have a Boat/US towing policy.

The key to getting high mileage days on the ICW is to get everything ready for breakfast before going to bed. Get moving at dawn and eat breakfast underway. You'll lose two hours over coffee and breakfast before you know it, which is 10 to 15 miles. Fuel is another time killer - on your Oceanis 41 you'll have to stop for fuel every two or three days and will lose another couple of hours. Plan fuel stops ahead at places you want to stop anyway - like Coinjock.

Are you local to Annapolis? I'm happy to sit down with you and walk through charts, options, and realities.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2012

Thanks SV! I have to admit, I am a total novice in cruise sailing but am planning to team along an experienced skipper for that first journey. I am also going to be quite busy in the fall with work so, I may not be able to do the all trip. I am not totally green with navigation skills though. I sailed a lot on dinghies in my youth and as a former canoeing Olympian, spent a big chunk of my life on water. I have not quizzed Moorings yet on the exact process to deliver the boat near Marion, SC but your findings are interesting...

Cheers,
Old 08-02-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Palmetto - its a lovely trip, hope you get to make it sometime soon. The stretch from around Wrightsville to Charleston is, I think, the prettiest of the entire ICW.
kd3pc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-02-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Oh, just realized you're in Washington! By all means, it would be good to get together before you go. Dave (Auspicious) & I have totally different perspectives on the trip - he loves going offshore, I like the funky little towns along the ICW. You'd get lots of information ... or we'd just confuse the heck out of you.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-02-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The best place to get the boat commissioned is St. Barts Yachts in Charleston. They have a big full-time staff and do all the Moorings boats headed for the Caribbean that come out of Marion.

I helped deliver a 423 from them and ended up getting a 393 for myself after checking out all the Beneteaus. St. Barts service is the best. It would help if you have a knowlegeable person with you to inspect the boat and point out work that should be done at commissioning. I know there were a few gelcoat problems on the boats when I was there and St. Barts was very good at fixing them but it helps if you go over the boat with a fine tooth comb and put everything on the punch list.

I lived on my boat when it was being commissioned and crawled over everything every day.

Jean-Michel the head of service at St. Barts used to work for B in Marion and knows those boats inside out.

Old 08-02-2012

Good info Rick. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2012

I am told it will be commissioned in Charleston, SC indeed. Looks like delivery will be delayed by a week or two with a planned hand out date around Oct 15th.
Old 08-03-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Jaye (wingNwing) and I do indeed have different perspectives. I'm sure we could find a date to get together somewhere and share them with you. We've both done the ICW (wingNwing more than I) and I spend a lot of time offshore the US East Coast.

If you have limited time that would seem to make the offshore route more attractive.

Public transportation to and from the boat can be problematic and/or expensive North of Charleston. Beaufort NC is about the easiest (fly through New Bern) until you get to Norfolk.

If you aren't on the boat to enjoy the process offshore gets cheaper also. Food and provisions are nearly a wash for a good skipper. I can share the math with you so that if any of my assumptions are incorrect you can make them applicable to your circumstances.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.