SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Insurance Survey (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90386-insurance-survey.html)

SVTatia 08-01-2012 04:29 PM

Insurance Survey

I am nearing the end of a long refit of my Allied Luders 33 and will have to have a survey to get insurance when I launch and go to a marina.
Can anyone provide hints on how to approach this?

Are these types of survey different from others such as a pre-purchase survey? If he finds anything irregular - can I fix it before he issues the final report? Iíll sure be asking the surveyor these questions, but I just want to probe the opinions here.

Having gone thru every inch of the boat, it is unlikely the surveyor will find anything I didnít find and corrected. However, forewarned is forearmed, given the cost of this process I need to prepare and ensure nothing is left undone.

When going thru my own pre-survey checklist, is there anything in particular I should really pay attention to?
I have the names of all surveyors in the Toronto area, but if anyone can recommend one for this type of survey I'll be thankful.

Your help is much appreciated.

hellosailor 08-01-2012 04:35 PM

Re: Insurance Survey

Tatia, some insurers will require that you use a surveyor from their list of approved ones, so the first thing to do is call your insurer and look into that.

Other than that, there ae some web sites and books that discuss DIY boat surveying, all you can do is read up or hire a surveyor. Or if you've got some really knowledgeable friends, ask them to give it a white-glove inspection as a check.

sea_hunter 08-01-2012 09:04 PM

We're in the same boat. I called our insurance company so as to upgrade the coverages and were told a detailed survey listing any an all additions or equipment was required to make any changes to our policy.

canadianseamonkey 08-01-2012 09:18 PM

There are several very good surveyors in the Toronto area, however I will recommend Peter McGuire
Peter H. McGuire - SAMSģ AMSģ, Fastnet Marine Surveys, Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Welcome

Also, in Ontario, insurance companies cannot by law dictate who can survey or repair your boat. That goes for vehicles as well. So choose who you want and not what they want.

chuck53 08-01-2012 09:24 PM

Yes, an insurance survey is not as detailed as a pre purchase survey. Just because the surveyor is approved by your insurance company doesn't mean he's going to pass on the survey without your permission. If you get a really bad survey that could cause coverage denial, you now have a chance to fix everything and get another survey. That will cost you an extra survey, but your insurance company will never see the bad one.

Far Side 08-02-2012 12:22 AM

My survey revealed several issues. I didn't have any issues with insurance even though the value of the hull was set by the surveyors report. My boat (34 years) is being completely restored. The underwriter wanted all the surveyor recommended "fixes" completed. I sent proof through yard tickets and product purchases that the boat was throughly complete. When they received the data, I received a binder three days later.
The hull value was not increased, no surprise here. When the restoration is complete I intend to have a new survey just to see if the surveyor will increase the hull value. The boat is clear anyway, and now has an additional $25K in new equipment and some dang hard work. She is now a "pretty girl", just needed a trip to the gym!

SVTatia 08-02-2012 11:50 PM

Thank you for the information and for the referral.