SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Need info on York River and Mobjack Bay

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Flybyknight 
#1 ·
My husband and I recently bought a new to us sailboat and would like to explore the York river and Mobjack bay....they are a short sail from our marina near Yorktown. has anyone explored this area and have you any recommendations for anchorages, marinas, and places to visit? Thanks!

#4 ·
We keep our boat at the Severn river Marina on the Severn off the mobjack.

Very quiet. Decent facilities that the owners have big plans for.

I sort of like it sleepy.

All the rivers a creeks off the mobjack are picturesque and have lots off opportunities to explore.

The mobjack seems to develop short steep chop with breeze out of the ese and can be a little lumpy.

You can go way out in the bay and then go north to get to the mobjack or negotiate the cut just off york spit. The cut is nerve wracking to me with 5.5 of draft!!!!!

Never been op the York past York town. Of course we have tied up to Yorktown pier and explored. Nice place and nice docks. Could get lumpy with a foul wind and floating docks. Noisy with bridge overhead.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

#5 ·
We did negotiate that cut coming up when we brought the boat back from Rock hall last week.....it was high tide though. Our marina is actually just across from Yorktown and well protected. They have a nice restaurant and pool and I think they do rent slips by the night.

We did rush to get to the Marina last week so had no time to explore ....planning to do some of that this weekend. Is there anything I should be aware of or watch out for on the York?

#9 ·
Is there anything I should be aware of or watch out for on the York?
Yes; look out for the marine police...DGIF, that is.

Lots of places you can go. Lots in Mobjack Bay. Also, going north, Horn Harbor, Milford Haven (look out for their marine police, too), Fishing Bay. South, there's Back Creek, Poquoson R. East is Kiptopeake Beach behind the concrete ships, and Cape Charles. And places I'll not post online!

#7 ·
My Mother in law is in Gloucester Point and altho the only sailing i have done on the York was on the schooner Alliance that uses the Yorktown dock as its home, I have fished quite a bit in that area. Your probably are already aware that theres a strong tidal current so plan accordingly, any of the creeks on the northern shore from the Coleman bridge up past the second Navy dock are pretty shallow with private markers for the channels. If you want some fresh croakers the north edge of the channel by red #6 will usually provide enough for dinner!

#8 ·
Thanks Bandaidmd, we do love to fish! Will be checking that out!

I have also sailed on the Alliance out of Yorktown....great place to introduce people to sailing that have a fear of sea sickness. Really enjoyed the sunset cruise.

We just recently brought our boat to a nearby marina and are just beginning to learn the ropes of the area so all info is very welcome. We are hoping to get in some sailing, fishing and short cruising trips over the next few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.