Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012

peternj354 is on a distinguished road
looking to sail liberty landing marina to newport RI

this is our first big sail trip anyone have any advice tips about NYC to newport RI
How long dose this trip normally take? we have a Catalina 34 all the help we can get would be great!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: looking to sail liberty landing marina to newport RI

Hi,

This is a pretty straighforward trip. You have two options: going out and around Long Island Straight to Newport, with maybe a stopover at Block Island. Or taking the inside route up the East River. Since it's your first trip, you'll probably want to do the inside route?

The 1st challenge is timing the currents on the East River up into the sound. The general guidance is to be at the battery starting up around 2 hours after low tide at the battery. However you can arrive later. You want to make sure you are clear of hell gate before the current turns against you. A copy of Eldridge tides and currents is essential for this trip, or certainly a good tide and current software source. ( I use both)
I like thumbing through the book.

The currents will carry you nicely up river at speeds over ground that you could not obtain otherwise. So the 15 mile trip should take only around 2 hours + or - Keep an eye out for commercial traffic coming from ahead and behind, keep a firm hand on the tiller..through the gate..the currents tend to look worse than they are but still are moving swiftly. Keep the pointy end of the boat up river. Monitor channel 13 and 9 as well as 16 to keep an ear out for the commercial traffic. I tend to keep to the right past lower manhattan to stay somewhat clear of the ferry traffic.leaving and arriving.

Keep to the left side of roosevelt island..( going up...right side coming down) and you can pass through the brother islands via the well marked channel, rather than going around. Study the chart before you go and have it handy, so you know where you are.

Once into the sound the next decision is do you favor the connecticut side or the Long Island side. Either has ample facilities for stopovers. I like to Stop at Port Jefferson then crossover to the Connecticut river and either Old Saybrook or Essex. ( 40 miles or so). You can pick up a mooring ( around $40.) at Port Jeff and launch service is free ( tips) They have new shower and laundry facilities. I forget the channel they monitor ( in my log on the boat) I believe it's 68.

Other's may have their favorites. You can go out one way, and return another.

The Connecticut side west of the Connecticut River has some tricky but managable entrances to many harbors.

You should get a cruising guide, they are chock full of information. Certainly join Active Captain ( free) It's full of great advice and resources as well as chartlets.

From The connecticut River you can make Newport in a day, or stop at Block Is, then back to Newport, or visa versa. The possibilities are endless on this trip...

Going through the Race of Long island you would need to consult your currents again.
Timing is everything! Let the currents be your friend. ( in fact, you should keep and eye on them at all times)

As far as how long...it depends on you. You can take 3 days..or more with stopovers in the evening or just keep going non-stop....

Last edited by Tempest; 08-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are on the wrong side of roosevelt island isn't there a low bridge you must avoid?
Old 08-02-2012

Yes, There's a lift Bridge on the east side of Roosevelt Island that you'd have to deal with if you went up that side. That's why I mention to stay left of the island going toward the sound, and right coming toward the hudson, where there are no bridges to be concerned with.

There are times..when they'll close the west side if there's a big shindig at the United Nations, so it's always good to double check the weekly Notice to Mariners.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-02-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternj354 View Post
this is our first big sail trip anyone have any advice tips about NYC to newport RI
How long dose this trip normally take? we have a Catalina 34 all the help we can get would be great!
Hey, you really have selected a big trip. If you go through the Long Island Sound it's about 150nm from Liberty Landing to Newport. Assuming you can make 6 kts, that is about 25 hours. So it could be 2 12 hour days, 3 8 hour days, 4 6 hour days, etc. If you can only make 5 kts, then it's 30 hours.

I have sailed from Newport to Mt. Sinai NY (the delivery of my current boat), and from Mt. Sinai to NYC (a week vacation at the 79th boat basin). This was done in different trips and different years. It's about 85nm from Mt. Sinai to Newport. I did it two days, motor sailing at cruising speed, and with favorable currents. I did the trip from Mt. Sinai to NY in two days also, with a long day 1 and a short day 2 so we could sight see around NY harbor.

It can be a fun trip, but you better make sure your boat is in good mechanical condition and you better have enough time to enjoy it.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2012

peternj354 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much this is so helpful! you think the last week in September is to late in the season to do this comfortably? will it be to cold?
Old 08-03-2012

September is a great month to sail, if the hurricanes stay away.
Warm days, cool nights, much better winds than August in the LIS.

You can get sunburn in October..or snow..

You'll just have to pack a few extra clothes,

Just keep your eye on the weather...you know it doesn't always cooperate with schedules...so you should always plan an extra day or two for weather delays, be prepared to make adjustments to your schedule.
Old 08-03-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Personally I love sailing in late Sept / early Oct. The water is still warm so it's not cold on the boat, most of the people are off the water and the wind is better. The only downside is the amount of daylight isn't as long as in the summer. If you keep that in mind you'll be fine. Of course, check the weather carefully because you can get nor'easters.

One last thing, DO NOT TRY TO GO EAST in the Long Island Sound if there is an easterly wind of 15 kts or more. The fetch to the east is very long and an easterly wind will cause some serious swell and chop to develop. I've tried it, and it's a miserable trip.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The seasons don't really start to change drastically until November. That's when the big North Atlantic high that rules during the summer starts to move south after doing battle with the northern air masses which move down and give us more NW/N components. Catching the back end of these northern high pressure systems is a good thing if you're headed down the coast.

During Sept., the major threat is tropical storms which historically peak in Sept. and then fall off sharply toward the middle of October. Going south, the best window is when this transition takes place. It can vary significantly from year to year. Watching the 500mb(upper level) NOAA chart patterns is a good clue as to when the seasons are actually changing. If you can catch the back end of a big N/NW high in Sept., it will give you a run or reach all the way NE up the Sound. Don't go if there is any chance of a low following right behind the high. If you catch the high too late, it can also mean motoring in flat conditions. Once a big high settles in, it can mean 0 wind for a long period because by Sept. some of the summer SW onshore breezes have diminished.

I always watch for the type of clouds to determine where a northern high is in its cycle. When small, broken, sharp, black batches of clouds start to appear on the horizon, scudding across the sky, it's a signal that the wind is going to blow HARD from the N/NW at the start of a northern front passing through- not the time you want to be out unless you want to practice your survival sailing techniques.

If you're going the Sound route, you might want to just stay inside and anchor up at Fisher's Island the second night and then go up Fishers Sound past Watch Hill and on to Newport. Day 1- NYC to PJ, Day 2- PJ to Fisher's, Day 3 Fisher's to Newport. Once in Newport, you can make the GREAT sail out of Narragansett over to Block and back.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-04-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-04-2012

wmmulvey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternj354 View Post
Hi,

I would make sure I had an unlimited towing insurance package before making that trip.

Great posts here.

I made a similar trip a couple of times. Raritan Bay to Block going inside. I like inside because of the scenery and the vast amounts of places to overnight in.

Stayed in Pt. Jeff
Up into the Conn. river
Mystic.

ENJOY your trip

Regards

Bill