Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Nav Area. Just a waste of space????

I guess your “style” of sailing would determine how you would use the Nav Station. When the above picture was snapped, we were about two days into our Mexico trip and two days before our next landfall. From the looks of it I’m putting in my two hour position report. You don’t give your navigators much credit. If you can tell by the screen, we are some 70 miles offshore and in one of the main shipping routes from the Panama Canal. Our Port Watch team could not drive the boat deep to save their lives which tended to put the boat on a heading to Hawaii instead of Bahia Tortuga. So, I would have to determine when we could gybe over to port board so I could drive deep when the boat was angled towards shore during my watch, then determine when we should do a sail change or drop the kite and then what was our ETA for landfall. Later on we would be on the SSB for the Baja net and much later on the SSB for up and down linking email and downloading gribs for the next weather forecast. I’d then re-calculate the route during my mid-watch if we were expecting a wind shift in our future. As we were in a heavily trafficked shipping lane it was much easier to do the AIS tracking down below and to do the bridge to bridge communicating there rather than disturbing the driver. We operate under the rule of there is only one skipper and one navigator. We may have several watch captains, but the navigator tells them where to go.

When we are just joyriding around the Bay or doing harbor hopping down the coast, the Nav Station really becomes a collection point for junk. I do my initial navigating at home and uplink the waypoints etc just once from the Nav Computer. When racing, I run some fairly sophisticated tidal prediction software as well as down load telemetry data. So while racing, the computer stays hooked up. In harbor, it becomes a TV stand.

One argument against converting your saloon table into a Nav Station is you are putting all those computers, radios, instruments, main buss etc. all into the center of your boat – right near your fluxgate compass. Not a good idea.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 08-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

If you feel that strongly against a nav station, just remove it. Allocate the space to something that better suits how you sail.

One of the new Catalinas (315 I think?) doesn't have one at all.

It's certainly nothing to stew over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-02-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

As far as "Style" goes, we don't have a dedicated Nav station and have been sailing offshore for 13 years. The Saloon table works just fine for using actual paper charts. Never seen a "NAV" station that you could actually roll out a chart, plot a poistion or draw a course line of more then a few miles. Guess now days most folks can't use a pair of dividers, parallel plotter much less a set of triangles.

My radar, gps, wind, speed, depth and a microphone for the VHF are all easily seen from the WHEEL. We don't have to go below for basic functions. The on watch person has pretty much everything at their finger tips.
Most days the chart sits in the cockpit.....
I do have maxsea/cmap/captain on a laptop, but I prefer to use paper. I did not go to sea to look at a computer 24/7/365.
As someone else said, I'd never give up the hanging lockers/ storage for an office cubicle.
Were happy with our style.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-02-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

The nav station often becomes the equivalent of the junk drawer in a dirt-home kitchen- a catch=all for all the stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. We don't have one on whiskeyjack and haven't really needed one.
Having said that my next boat will have a proper nav station. I like the idea of not having to stow all of my nav'ing and blogging and writing gear to make way for eating, or galley prep or...

if you can't fit a quarter-folded chart on a nav table, you need to learn how to fold charts.
Regarding hatchboards, they do allow flexibility- drop in one to make a poor man.s bridge deck in sloshy weather. for example.
Doors aren't hard to build.
wingNwing likes this.

Old 08-02-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road

I guess some of you have a point in that just like the hatchboards, the nav stations does have its use. Although I do agree with that point as being valid, the way I see it is that they will get used for their intended purpose such a minute amount of the total time that in my mind makes it not a necessity but rather a poorly and seldom used luxury. I see the interior of boats as always striving for efficiency in use of space. Some things are simply needed, but even those we try to make it as efficient in its use of space as possible. That is why I still don't see the overwhelming benefit of the nav station. Same goes for the hatchboard really. 99% of the time you don't have sloshy weather.

Can they be redone and remade into something else? Sure, and so can everything else, but that was not the point though.

Last edited by dgasmd; 08-02-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2012

Regarding hatchboards, they do allow flexibility- drop in one to make a poor man.s bridge deck in sloshy weather. for example.
Doors aren't hard to build.

We have hatchboards and doors. I guess some boat builders (Robert Perry) understand these things...

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-02-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I've never owned a boat with a nav station, only because I've never owned a boat large enough to have a dedicated nav station. However, when the Admiral allows me to get a large enough boat (I can dream, can't I??), it will most definitely have a dedicated nav station.... and a "kegerator".
dgasmd likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 08-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I've never owned a boat with a nav station, only because I've never owned a boat large enough to have a dedicated nav station. However, when the Admiral allows be to get a large enough boat (I can dream, can't I??), it will most definitely have a dedicated nav station, and a "kegerator".
Take the KEGERATOR over the nav station! We also home brew with the barrel strapped to the mast, down below of course, next to the saloon table/nav station, tortilla rolling surface, bread making station, sewing table, work bench, office etc...

Old 08-02-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

For the weekend sailor who isn't on the boat sailing for days at a time I think it's a waste. The only thing I use it for is to set my daypack on because it's right next to the companionway... While I see the benefit for those who live aboard and cruise for long periods at a time, I don't think it holds much value for people who only do one or two nights out at a time.

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 08-03-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

My cal 28 never had a nav area and I tossed the boards and replaced them with a frosted lexon plastic..Works for me......Dale
Where God got it done!