Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: Nav Area. Just a waste of space????

We don't have a nav station, we use the dinette table and it sucks. Pens and papers, charts, laptops, handheld radio, books, ipad, all the crap we need in a nav station isn't in a nav station it's all rolling around on the table so every time we need the table we have to put all that stuff away and then pull it all out again later. Our communications, instruments, and electrical is spread out all over the place too and it would be nice to have it all centralized.
rugosa likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Every boat is different in some way, and every owner uses their boat differently than others in some way.

For myself, I like having a place where I can keep the laptop set up and have all my dials, switches and doo-dads in one place.

Do I need a nav station? Not really. Do I like having one? Yup.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Every boat is different in some way, and every owner uses their boat differently than others in some way.
Exactly... The size of the boat, more than anything, will dictate this choice. Upwards of 38-40 feet, I'd still always want a dedicated nav station...

On a boat as small as mine, however, or on most boats under 35', a sit-down nav station is often a waste of space... The seat itself is usually so small as to make it difficult or uncomfortable to use when heeled. Not to mention, so often you come below to a nav station in wet foul weather gear, the last thing you want to do is sit down on a nice Ultrasuede seat cushion...

On smaller boats, I think a stand-up nav station, facing outboard, makes far more sense. I stand at my nav station in much the same way I stand at my galley, using the same waist belt/harness I use at the stove if conditions are sporty enough to warrant, it works very well...

On smaller boats, a stowable/convertible nav table can also work very well, mine slides aft over the quarterberth when not in use... I never use a computer for navigation, so this works well for me...

I've sailed boats where the saloon table was basically the nav desk, and I hated it... Again, if you're not sailing offshore or making longer passages, such an arrangement can work in a pinch for the way many people use their boats... But, for more serious sailing/cruising, I really think you want some sort of dedicated nav space if you have the room... I really prefer to be able to stow a saloon table underway, as well - the arrangements that fold up against the bulkhead, or can otherwise be dismantled, is far and away my favorite set-up on most boats under 40-42 feet...

Regarding hatchboards, I've still yet to come up with a better solution in general... Every boat I've ever sailed with companionway doors, it just didn't work... No way to have them partially open, and in a seaway if they could not be removed, they were never secure enough in the open position that they didn't present a danger... Exposed sharp corners, dependent on tiny latches or hooks to stay open that would never withstand the force of a crewmember thrown against them, etc... Perhaps there are some arrangements out there that work in a typical companionway, but I have yet to see one...

My main complaint about hatchboards on most production boats, is how rarely a builder dedicates a space, or rack, in which to STOW the damn things... Amazing, how often such a simple thing is overlooked on production boats... Practically every boat I go aboard, you remove the hatchboards, and it's "OK, now what do I do with these?"

The hatchboards that drop down into a recessed well can be a pretty slick arrangement... As always, however, the KISS principle applies, I've had the dropboards on a high end Euro BOTY become stuck in the down position, not good at all...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-03-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I have a 32' boat, with a dedicated nav station. It's were I spend the bulk of my time inside the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Nav Area. Just a waste of space????-new-panel-installed.jpg  

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Must say I like that slide away table top Jon E. Very neat.

Our old girl (34') had a stand up CT. While I prefer the sit down on the new girl (40) the fridge space under was nice to have.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.