Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

My condolences, I''ve had nightmares about your experience. For interesting reading about why boats sink look at:
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/sinking/default.asp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2004

gwp is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

Though you are emotionally attached.....and believe me, I know the feeling.....a boat is just a hunk of fiberglass floating some stuff inside. Just thank God that it was insured and no one was hurt. Since you hadn''t even sailed it yet, who knows???? Perhaps it would have given you lots of trouble later. Buy you another boat and move on. Best of luck.....Gary
Old 02-12-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

Ive had (too) much experience with insurance adjusters. No fault of their own but they have the insurance company''s best interests in mind and not your best interests. From your posts, I would suggest that you hire a local surveyor, have him look at the boat and give you an opinion. As for what will probably need to be replaced, the list is almost endless as between the water, the salt in the water, the freezing temps, and any silt that got in most things electric and mechanical will need to be in the least flushed and dried and in the worst replaced. Im sorry to have to tell you this but I would hate to see you pour alot of money into a boat that may never be the same. Good luck and at least talk to a surveyor.
Old 02-12-2004

msl is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

I think you are fortunate, in a way, because your insurance will cover most of your loss. I know that my boat policy does not cover damages if caused by freezing. A frozen fitting that results in sinking of my boat is regarded by the carrier as negligence.
Last year a boat at our marina sank after the lake thawed enough to let water enter through a busted through hull...their insurance covered only liability for damages to the docks.
msl
Old 02-14-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

Keep in lind that some things on your boat may be sandwich core decks ect. When she sets under pressure say at even five or six feet if you could dive on her you would see tiny bubbles coming out wevey where you could think of and allot of places you cant think of. The batteries will do allot of dammage to wire and anything close to them for up to a week as the acid thins out they still can and do make some voltage and it eats things metal up. The wire is shot cushions plywood bulkheads go for the total.
Old 02-14-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
HELP!!! Boat Down!!!

Ahoy ye soggy sailor, I be de Pirate of Pine Island and I thinks she''ll be just fine give her a good drying out and sail her to Florida to make your peace wit her. Me vessel been under enough times dat I''s don''t even mind seen de water sloshing over de bunks no more. Dem water marks give em character. AARRGGHH