SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Help me decide on a name (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90468-help-me-decide-name.html)

bmacfarquhar 08-03-2012 01:27 PM

Help me decide on a name

So I am about to send out the form for uscg documentation and have to finalize the name for my Pearson 10M. I have whittled it down to Osprey, Sparrow, Mermaid Tale, or lullaby. Please dont tell me its bad luck to rename a vessel have decided I cant live with the original name. So which one would you guys pick?

LarryandSusanMacDonald 08-03-2012 01:35 PM

Re: Help me decide on a name

Do any of those names hold any special meaning for you? And the renaming / bad luck thing is just an excuse to have a silly party with enough champagne and ceremony to placate the appropriate (however arbitrary) gods.

Good luck with your new boat. We're just selling ours after 15 years of living aboard.

azguy 08-03-2012 02:02 PM

It's your boat, re-name it anything you want. I don't believe in luck; good or bad.....

bmacfarquhar 08-03-2012 02:07 PM

Sparrow came from a sparrow who hangs out in my cockpit a lot and sings like a lunatic. Osprey just seems like a solid sea bird soaring a sailboat is like a soaring bird to me. Mermaid Tale is a pun on tail and is on the list because my girlfriend thinks shes a mermaid and Im hopefull that there will be mermaids in my tale in the end. Lullaby is how the boat makes me feel. Somehow sparrows an English boat and Osprey seems American to me.

bmacfarquhar 08-03-2012 02:09 PM

Thanks fpr letting me know its my boat and I can name it whatever I want. I was hoping to get a consensus from some fellow mariners as to which is the best name I cant decide.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 08-03-2012 02:15 PM

If you're planning on keeping her, placate the girlfriend, if you're planning on keeping her. :D

MobiusALilBitTwisted 08-03-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmacfarquhar (Post 905025)
So I am about to send out the form for uscg documentation and have to finalize the name for my Pearson 10M. I have whittled it down to Osprey, Sparrow, Mermaid Tale, or lullaby. Please dont tell me its bad luck to rename a vessel have decided I cant live with the original name. So which one would you guys pick?

"Undecided Lullaby"

lajimo 08-03-2012 02:19 PM

Help me decide on a name

Osprey - good solid name

bmacfarquhar 08-03-2012 02:22 PM

Ive thought about that my girlfriend is too busy to spend much time on the boat let alone ever go sailing so naming it after her may just leave a heartbreaking reminder scar that costs money to remove and change...

Sea Dawg 08-03-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald (Post 905047)
If you're planning on keeping her, placate the girlfriend, if you're planning on keeping her. :D

+1 (yeah, if you're going to keep her!). Plus I like the story.

Osprey shows up on lots of boats.
BoatUS Boat Graphics

Good luck with your boat. Doubt renaming it will jinx anything.