Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Yacht club near Yeocomico River / Northern Neck

Looking for a yacht club near the Yeocomico River Northern Neck area. We are new to the Potomac / Yeocomico River area and we can't seem to find any local clubs for cruising, events, etc...

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Yacht club near Yeocomico River / Northern Neck

Lodge Creek Yacht Club at Olverson's Marina is a good place to start.....

Ask for Fred and tell him that dave sent you....
Old 07-17-2013

Reybo is on a distinguished road

We kept our Chesapeake Bay bugeye ketch at the White Point Marina, where life was low key. There was a yacht club located there, White Point Yacht Club, also low key.

They are both there still. The club is evidently still low key, as the currently posted activity schedule is for 2012.

Bob Redfearn ran the marina, and his son still does. In one picture from the online marina history you can see my boat. It was 58' overall including the 17' bowsprit sticking out. The two raked back masts are the sign of a bugeye.

As a newbie here, I'm not trusted to post a link to that photo, but it's discoverable. It's in the one looking out from the pool at the open slips.

Wonder if there are other photos around that include our "Applejack."

Last edited by Reybo; 07-17-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: New info
Old 07-17-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Lodge Creek Yacht Club at Olverson's Marina is a good place to start.....

Ask for Fred and tell him that dave sent you....

I've known Fred since he and his dad started building the marina in the mid 60's. I've had my own boat there for almost 20 years.
If you're looking for a fancy, higher end marina, keep looking. If you want a friendly marina where you know most of the regulars, it's the place to be.
The yacht club is very active...7 functions a year (and we eat good) and membership is less than a $100 a year.

In your other post about sailing with your younger children, I suggested Olverson's since your kids would find more friends there than where you are now.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-17-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-17-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

About 10 years ago I decided to explore the Virginia necks and decided to stash my boat Olverson's so I could do the trip in several parts. I was a little skeptical because of the reasonable price, but when I got there I was absolute floored by the place. Really nice friendly people, well maintained docks and plenty of deep water.
kd3pc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Looking for a yacht club near the Yeocomico River Northern Neck area. We are new to the Potomac / Yeocomico River area and we can't seem to find any local clubs for cruising, events, etc...

Patrick
Actually, you're pretty limited as to active yacht clubs / marinas on the Yeocomico.
White Point, nice marina and boat repair facility, but you rarely see many people there.
There's another marina across the creek from White Point, don't know anything about it, doesn't look too active and by far, would be the furthest drive from Richmond
Kinsale Harbor (at the bridge), don't see many people there. Restuarant sometimes open, mostly closed.
Port Kinsale, repair yard and nice restuarant, more people there than the others
Harryhogan, almost never see anyone there. Except for the repair facility, it's pretty dead.
Olverson's probably has more social activity than all the other 5 marinas combined.

Anywhere else, you have to go upriver to Coles Point and I understand the marina is less than half full, but the campgrounds are hopping.
Downriver to Lewisetta Marina or Coan River Marina. I won't take my boat anywhere else for winter storage than Lewisetta but for an active marina - it ain't.
Haven't been to Coan River marina in years so I can't give you any info there.

Edit:
I just noticed this thread is a year old, so I'm guessing the OP is at his marina home now.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-18-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

I am thinking that Olverson is the only place with a club near Kinsale.
I was thinking of inviting some of the sailors within our marina and schedule a few social events and sails later this year but right now just running out of time with work, family and life.... or perhaps I just lost interest. I must be getting old (turning 45 this year...) as I am starting to enjoy just getting away from everyone and enjoy the peace and quite on the water.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 07-18-2013

One thing to keep in mind....Olverson's is in Northumberland, Kinsale is in Westmoreland. Boat property taxes are lower in Northumberland.
Old 07-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I was in Yeocomico earlier this year. It is an absolutely beautiful area. There were three docks I visited. One was Olverson's where I got fuel. I needed to jerry jug from the outside dock because it was very shallow approaching the fuel dock. At 5.5', I tried to inch my way in but had to back off a couple of times. Besides that, the folks there are very nice and the facility itself is great.

Going straight in from the Potomac, the other place I visited was up right before a bridge. There are a lot of sailboats up in there and deep water all the way if you stay in the channel. The sailing community there seems to be very active.
I anchored in Palmer Cove one night, one of the many very good places to throw the hook.

There is a third boatyard just opposite Palmer Cove, before you go in to Olverson's. I stopped there looking for fuel, they have none. The folks there are helpful and directed me to Olverson's. The place looks to be a great place to DIY if that's what you're looking for but there was no indication of a yacht club.
Old 07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I was in Yeocomico earlier this year. It is an absolutely beautiful area. There were three docks I visited. One was Olverson's where I got fuel. I needed to jerry jug from the outside dock because it was very shallow approaching the fuel dock. At 5.5', I tried to inch my way in but had to back off a couple of times. Besides that, the folks there are very nice and the facility itself is great.

I've been at Olversons for years and have never seen a boat have problems getting to the fuel dock and there have been a lot of boats there that draw more than 5.5. feet. Even if you hit bottom, the mud is so soft you wouldn't even know it.