Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
does any one use a kindle fire?

i just bought a kindle fire and was wondering does any one have one or use one on the boat? and what do you use it for? and how does it do?
Old 08-07-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Re: does any one use a kindle fire?

I had one Huck. Bought it last December and used it daily for 6 months. I recently sold it and replaced it with a Kindle Touch.

Now, I already have a 17" MacBook Pro. So, I only bought the Fire to use as an eReader. It was twice the price of a Touch, but at $199, cost was not an issue considering what it could do compared to the Touch. Plus, it was a bit more portable than my MBP so I thought it would be cool for the boat.

eReader - Since it's backlit LCD, you can choose brightness levels and I preferred the sepia color scheme. Even so, my eyes and head grew weary during longer reading sessions. I got "bleary eyed". The Kindle Touch and eInk is far superior for extended (more than an hour) reading sessions.

Magazines - Plenty of free ones to try out. Both in native format and Page View optimized. Not a very good experience. The screen is just too small to enjoy magazines. They're either too small for my eyes, or you're scrolling, zooming, pinching....constantly. No thanks.

Web Browser - Works, but is pretty limited. The built in browser is not fully compatible with all the web technologies, and the small 7" size is not a good web browsing experience. It works, just not real great.

Media - I found the screen too small really. It's memory is limited so you can only load so much, like maybe a movie or two. You have to plan what you'll watch, or stream it. I watched one episode of Curb on HBO Go, and by the end of the episode I was ready to put it down. Can't imagine enjoying a movie on it.

Music - Since I use an iPod nano, and space is limited on the Fire, I only loaded a couple Pink Floyd albums. The music player is okay...nowhere near as good as an iPod. Deleted the music.

email - Tough to use. Small touch keyboard is hard to type quickly and accurately on.

Apps - Let's face it, I'm an Apple fanboi and I'm used to the App Store. Everything works there. The Android market and app store is like a flea market. Alot of stuff works on one thing but not another, since Android is so fragmented. Not a whole lotta stuff works on the Fire, but there is some stuff. Lots of garbage out there. I just didn't use the device for apps.

3G - Another device and data plan? I think not. It's not really very good speed wise...barely enough to stream something and only if you have a strong signal. The data plans are crap with low caps, you can hit them quickly streaming Netflix or HBO....big $$$ to keep going. Best to use just wi-fi. (puck or hotspot needed)

Weight - The device is solid. And heavy. You see folks holding it with one hand, at the corner, in the commercials.....yeah, right...for a couple minutes maybe. Holding the device for long periods of time becomes very tiresome. My forearm would actually start to burn after an hour or so.

Battery Life - This thing eats power. Using it as just an eReader, a couple hours a day, and I'm recharging every other or every third day. A 30 minute episode of Curb, streamed from HBO Go ate up 35% of the battery! A full 2 hour movie would drain it. Just as an eReader you should get about 8 hours from it. To compare, I charge my Kindle Touch once a month.

So....I sold it to a friend and bought a Kindle Touch. Better choice for what I need...very lightweight, easy to hold, eInk is easy on the eyes. An eReader is all I really wanted to begin with. I have my MBP, iPod, etc for all the other stuff. If and when the time comes to buy another tablet. I will buy an iPad, full size one...64Gb (or larger if available) 4G. The Fire is a neat little device for what it does, it just wasn't a fit for me. The screen is too small for the user experience I want. A 7" device is a "no-go" for me. I gave it a fair shake too. I used it daily for 6 months before I made the change to the Touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas

Last edited by JoeDiver; 08-07-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Add Battery Life
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I agree with Joe. The Fire tries to bridge the gap between an e-Ink reader (like the Kindle Touch) and a real tablet (like an iPad) and doesn't do either very well.

e-Ink readers have excellent battery life and you can read them in full sun.

Tablets provide most (not all) functionality of a computer.

Depends on what you want it for, but I don't think a Fire is a good solution for most people unless you spend all your time on commercial aircraft. Even then, I'd go for an iPad. Reading books, newspapers, and magazines aboard I'd get an e-Ink reader.

YMMV.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

My brother has the Fire. He uses it mostly to stream Netflix or check Facebook -- not much reading.

The Galaxy S III tablet is only slightly more expensive, faster and open, so more apps will work on it. There's a Kindle app for it, so you can still get all your books.

By the end of September there will be a 7" iPad Mini, but I expect it to still come in at twice the price of the Fire.
Old 08-07-2012

mbowser is on a distinguished road

I've got a Fire that I like, but I should have waited for the Nexus tablet to come out. The Fire is ok for what it is, but I would like to have the ability for 3G, front facing camera and a better processor. A good start but the execution could have been a bit better. For $200 though, it's worth it IMHO.

I also have an iPad which is much nicer on so many levels, but I don't like its size. I got the Fire mainly because I like the 7" form factor. The iPad is just too big to lug around in quick fashion. The Fire is about the size of a paperback and it literally fits in my back pocket (although I wouldn't sit down with it).

Old 08-07-2012
Huck

Thanks for the replies right known I'm kinda loving it. See I'm on the boat right now and still on it with some ones wifi. And I can watch movies on the boat now I got it for $80 from a friend so I cant complain about price
Old 08-07-2012

mbowser is on a distinguished road

After re-reading my posts it sounds like I don't like the Fire. I do; in fact I use it every day of the week for one thing or another. When compared to some of the new 7" coming out though I have a bit of tablet envy.

Old 08-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Didn't want a Fire, wanted a Nook. No regrets, it does what it is supposed to do and does it well. The e-ink display is legible in full sunlight, no color display is going to give you that at a reasonable price. And the battery lasts an awful long time, again thanks to the display. Is it perfect? No. I got the "with ads" version and the ads are not obtrusive at all, they're mainly just "there" when you turn it on/off.

With any of the Kindles it an be a RFPITA to use them with a library, as Kindle requires a convoluted process where you "take out" the book from a PC on the internet, then transfer it to the Kindle locally. Buying from the Amazon store, painless. Borrowing from the library--inentionally made vey difficult.

If I wanted color, I'd get a Google Nexus 7" and get a full tablet for $199, instead of a Fire with a restricted feature set.
Old 08-07-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
Thanks for the replies right known I'm kinda loving it. See I'm on the boat right now and still on it with some ones wifi. And I can watch movies on the boat now I got it for $80 from a friend so I cant complain about price
For $80 bucks I say root it and you have a good basic tablet. I just don't like the interface they try to lock you into. Also it is missing 2 essentials for me, no GPS and no Bluetooth. If it had one or the other I would look at a used one as I could use the Bluetooth to connect to a GPS puck. I am getting a Nexus 7 soon. It is a full bore 7 inch tablet starting at $199. Every time I play with one I fall for it. A friend just sold his Fire to get a Nexus 7 and he is very happy.
Old 08-07-2012
Huck

maybe ill sell the fire in a while but for right now being near a marina and being able to watch movies, Also i like being able to read on the boat. i never read books before and i already read two sailing books. like it so far