SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Drunk boater had 16 kids on 22-foot boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90608-drunk-boater-had-16-kids-22-foot-boat.html)

Nautical Wheeler 08-06-2012 10:41 PM

Drunk boater had 16 kids on 22-foot boat

This is a new level of stupid: Drunk boater had 16 kids on 22-foot boat

Dakota92624 08-07-2012 12:49 AM

Re: Drunk boater had 16 kids on 22-foot boat

People are stupid

tom_beckstedt 08-07-2012 06:38 AM

Takes all kinds don't it.

Minnewaska 08-07-2012 06:45 AM

While I never did it, but for the grace of god, I was never tempted to put 16 of my closest friends as a teenager aboard a small boat. Many other drunk and immature decisions were made.

However, zero temptation long before reaching 47. This guy doesn't seem to have grown up. Many don't.

MarioG 08-07-2012 07:21 AM

You also have to wonder about the kids parents. I would never have let 1 of my kids go boating with someone I didn't know well, and of the people I do know, I know who likes to drink when they think its an occasion to.

I lost a great friend to a drunk boater, I hope this guy gets locked up and his boat taken from him before he kills someone.

SimonV 08-07-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota92624 (Post 906376)
People are stupid

I think you left of the SOME, "Some people are stupid"! You and I as well as most here are people and I don't think we are all stupid.:rolleyes:

Chadfunk48 08-07-2012 08:04 AM

I guess some people are just born without common sense... ot the ability to control themselves.

captainrizzo 08-07-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nautical Wheeler (Post 906338)
This is a new level of stupid: Drunk boater had 16 kids on 22-foot boat

Where's the "do not like" button?

BubbleheadMd 08-07-2012 08:53 AM

No amount of legislation or education will stop people like this, from making poor choices these.

CapnBilll 08-07-2012 08:55 AM

Not to defend the guy, but the article was big on accusations, and low on facts. The word drunk is a broad term.

Let's go back a few hours to the steps leading up to this incident. The night before he tells his kids, let's go boating, invite some friends, the next morning 16 of their closest friends show up. (Mistake 1: not limiting invitations to size of boat). (Mistake 2: not wanting to disappoint, he lets them ALL aboard,... after all their small), (Mistake 3: the kids drain the soda in seconds, leaving him to tap the beer), hot day and 3 beers lator the Sherriff pulls up, asks about the floating "bait shop", and tells him to blow into the tube.

This isn't an acedemic excercise because a small boat overloaded like this one flipped about a year ago leading to the drowning of a couple of youngsters.

We all know the danger of a child slipping overboard with apparently only one "adult" to watch them, (who is going to do the MOB?)

Something to perhaps spend a little more time on when selling a boat is to emphasize the capacity limits. Because there are aparently more than a few NOOB boat owners that haven't gotten the message.

I personally wouldn't take someone else's child boating unless the parent was also there.

One has to wonder about a parent that drops a child off at the dock, with apparently no interest in spending a day on the water with their child, or the childs safety.