Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
terminology question

When heading into the wind, is it correct for the helmsman to say "helm''s a-weather", as the boat is turning into the wind, or "helm''s a-lee" as the tiller is moving to the lee side? Obviously with a wheel one is not turning the wheel to the lee when one is heading to wind, but my dear brother (who is not a sailor) insists that the terminology is grounded in the tiller-steered tradition (and he argues that one would in fact say "helm''s a lee" when turning into the wind even when steering with a wheel).

Many thanks for your help in clearing this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2004

maestro is on a distinguished road
terminology question

I''ve always said "Helm''s a Lee" to notify my crew that I have started to turn through the wind after "ready to come about" or "ready to tack" and Definately after I hear "Ready" from my crew (who I have had to flog numerous times to remember to say...joke, joke...)
Old 02-09-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
terminology question

The traditional U.S. commands are ''prepare to come about'' followed by ''Hard a lee'' or ''Helm(s) down''. Your dear brother is correct, it does not matter whether you use a tiller or wheel, the command is still ''hard a lee'' or ''Helms down''.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
terminology question

Ahoy Mateys, Once again the unflappable Jeff is correct, However one demensional as always , ere in dis Pirates fleet the command is Hard a lee.. so ducks youse bloom''in heads ye mangy scoundrels. Helms over and ye be too iffin you don''t liven up .AARRGGHH . Pirate of Pine Island
Old 02-17-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
terminology question

Eye, Cap''n. I be duckin me head at yer command!
Old 02-23-2004

elhanley is on a distinguished road
terminology question

I love the old lingo. Have to say I''ve never heard "Helm''s aweather!" "Ready about!" and Helm''s alee!" take you thru a tack. "Prepare to jibe!" and "Jibe ho!" take the stern thru, and "Wear ship!" says you are bearing off to leeward and will jibe when the wind comes aft, with no further orders. Personally, I make it clear that "Ready about!" is an order, not an invitation for the crew to let me know when they would like to tack.
Old 02-23-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
terminology question

Traditionally ''Wear ship'' had a different definition than you have given it. Although square riggers could not reach very high above a beam they could in fact close reach above abeam reach. They could not tack at all, so to go from one close or beam reach to the other they had to jibe. That process was called ''wearing ship'' and the order to go through that 200 or so degree swing was ''Wear ship''. Traditional working Jucks could not tack through the wind reliably and so would also wear ship.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.