Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cb32863

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
A boatload of updates...

OK all, here is a crap load of bloggy updates. I know you have been wondering about it all... They go in the order of top down, so if you are having trouble sleeping start reading with the first link and work your way down....

Dan's Sailing Blog: Here come the updates....

Dan's Sailing Blog: Project #1, Part - 3

Dan's Sailing Blog: Interior Work

Dan's Sailing Blog: Mast Up!

Dan's Sailing Blog: Not quite so fast......

Dan's Sailing Blog: Are you kidding me!? Really???

Dan's Sailing Blog: Launch Day!
CalebD likes this.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: A boatload of updates...

Dan,

As one of your 5 blog fans I must applaud you on all the hard work you have done on Papillon recently. Getting her into the water without a wasps nest in the mast was quite an accomplishment. All I can suggest is that it gets easier over time as the 'to-do' list gets shorter (hopefully) and you have been there, done that before (like with the epoxy).

There are two O'Day 25's at my club and I think they are pretty nice boats. I wonder if the 'lee helm' you felt after launch and engine failure was because you had too much jib out or maybe the center board was not deployed? I'm sure you will figure this all out in time.

You really owe it to yourself to go out and do some sailing after all the work you have done. Enjoy what is left of summer and the windier fall season.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2012
Lake Sailor

Thanks Caleb! I have been talking to a few folks on the SBO O'Day forum about the issues with lee helm. Have it raked back about as far as I can. The other issue is that I only have a 100 jib, nothing bigger and I found out that in light winds, they can have some lee helm anyway. Add the little jib and it gets worse. Which of my 5 fans are you by the way I don't recognize your name in the followers list or do you just pop over and look from time to time?

New to me genoa is on the list for next season.

Old 08-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Dan,

We seem to frequent similar places on the internet (SBO, AS, Sailnut etc.) so let's just say I've seen you around and I do like your writing style and voice.

I'll have to ask the O'Day 25' owner at our club that we race against who has been chasing us around the race course and often enough beating us, if he replaced his main sail. I am quite certain that he got a new (larger) jib this year though. This fellow at our club is a very experienced sailor and a great guy who taught us a thing or two about sailing our own boat. Now he is sorry! I haven't heard him complain about 'lee helm' on his O 25' yet though.

I'd guess that by playing with your centerboard you may be able to get the helm more balanced though. I can't explain it as well as this link does so I won't try: Helm Balance – Center of Effort, Lateral Resistance, Centerboard, Mast Rake - Waves « Jordan Yacht Brokerage

We also go a new main sail for our Tartan 27' last year and it has helped us quite a bit in our racing this year. A good main sail should give you weather helm which is preferable to lee helm.

As for which of your 5 fans I am, well, it is the internet so maybe you have at least 6 fans. I'll sign up as a member, or fan soon. Promise. In any case I have been dropping by from time to time.

Enjoy what is left of summer.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-09-2012
Lake Sailor

Hey Caleb, thank you for your kind words and I need all the help I can get as you have read. lol I am going to read through the link you posted. New sails, especially a 135 are on the list for the off season, well they would be new to me. Been perusing many of the websites of sail lofts looking for used sails already. Thanks again and become follower #6, as you have read its exciting stuff...

Old 08-09-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

O'Days are very nice little boats. Very similar interior as my Sundance.

Happy Sailing. I'll be checking out your blog regularly. Lots of projects to do here. Heading down to marina tonight after work. Can't believe it's August. Pretty soon the water levels will be so low, lots of folks won't be able to get out. Fortunately, my slip is on the hump, and I should be able to get out year round and I'm planning on sailing year round.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.