For the entire time we've owned Cirrus we've been searching for the source of the water we were getting into the toe of the V-birth when it would rain. It wasn't a horrible amount of water, but it was certainly a pain and was starting to stain the wooden bulkhead in the bow. Over the last 4 years I've re-bedded virtually everything on the deck of my boat. Poked and prodded and cussed and cried. No joy, still a puddle after a rain. The anchor locker is fiberglass and is about 1/2 the depth of the hull with an open area below (right at the toe of the v-berth). There is a wooden bulkhead just aft of the anchor locker and a wood "floor" under the anchor locker. The leak was along the port side where the bulkhead and floor intersect, the water would run down along the bulkhead and puddle under the v-berth cushion. The drains for the anchor locker are located in the aft corners of the locker, and that left drain was the first place I looked when we decided we had a leak.
Admittedly I was near-sighted in that I assumed the fiberglass floor and bulkhead to the anchor locker were watertight, but I decided that this weekend I would clean the anchor locker and paint a coat of West System epoxy in the bottom to seal any pinholes/invisible cracks/etc. When I started rinsing the locker with the hose the admiral started screaming about water everywhere. Hmmm, it seems we've confirmed where the leak is. I started looking and inside the 5/8 inch drain hole on the port side I was a very fine crack. I was surprised that this tiny crack could let it very much water but decided to epoxy it.
Using a Dremel with a small burr wheel I started "opening" the crack a bit so I could fill with epoxy and as I worked to the aft side of the drain hole the bit plunged through!!! It appears there was a void in the hull layup, or perhaps during construction someone gouged an area in the glass.
Started filling with epoxy using a syringe, after pushing about 1 - 1 1/2 inches of plunger I started wondering why I wasn't seeing the void fill...dropped below to find a big streak of epoxy running down the inside of the hull....kind of confirmed I was in the right spot.
Tested the next day with large amount of water from a hose and dry as a bone inside!!!!
Now I truly do have a dry boat.