Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road
documented vessels

Quick question.....If I purchase a documented vessel.....do I have to re-document it with the CG ????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: documented vessels

Yes, you must transfer the vessel documentation to your name.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 08-08-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

The way I read the FAQ's, you can elect to have the vessel deleted from documentation.
The FAQ's aren't specific...I'd call the CG for an answer.

HOW DO I DELETE A VESSEL FROM DOCUMENTATION?
A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and is to include the vessel’s official number. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.
Top of Page
Old 08-08-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Tempest is correct. You need to re-document. Don't let the broker talk you into a service -- the forms are easy and NVDC is a phone call away.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2012

GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR EXCHANGE or RETURN TO DOCUMENTATION

General forms only. Contact this office for vessel specific issues. Please see the regulations at 46 CFR Part 67.

A COPY MADE ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN PLAIN PAPER WILL BE REJECTED. THIN THERMO-FAX PAPER FADES WITH TIME AND IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

CG-1258: Application for Initial Issue, Exchange or Replacement of Certificate of Documentation; Re-documentation - Completed by new OWNER(s); submit an original or a copy of form, CG-1258.

CG-1340: Bill of Sale – One original or one copy of the instrument signed by or on behalf of all persons transferring an interest in the vessel. Signature(s) of seller(s) must be acknowledged by a notary public. Altered instruments may be rejected. A copy of the instrument will be returned.
CG-1270: Certificate of Documentation - Interest in vessel may be transferred by last documented owner(s) on reverse of original or copy of the Certificate of Documentation. Signature(s) of seller(s) must be acknowledged before a notary public. Altered documents may be rejected.

Satisfaction of Mortgage or Form CG-4593: Application, Consent and Approval for Exchange - If the vessel is subject to a mortgage, submit one original or one copy Satisfaction of Mortgage (completed by mortgagee, NOT vessel owner and properly acknowledged); OR, one original or one copy of Form CG-4593 signed by both the owner and mortgagee. A copy of the Satisfaction of Mortgage will be returned. A copy of the Form, CG-4593 will not be returned.

Chain of Title - Simplified Method:* - For vessels returning to documentation, ownership may be established from state title OR state or foreign registration. A copy of the title or registration must be provided WITH the original or copy of bill(s) of sale from the owner shown on this paperwork to the applicant. For vessels under a foreign registry similar to U.S. Documentation, a copy of the registration and evidence of removal from that registry must be provided.

*Simplified method may not be used if seeking a Coastwise endorsement for a vessel over 200 ITC gross tons. Complete chain of title from the last documented owner and citizenship evidence for each owner must be submitted. Form MA-899 may be used to establish citizenship and will be sent upon request.

Return existing Certificate of Documentation if available.

FEES - MUST ACCOMPANY PAPERWORK AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE

Application for Exchange or Re-documentation, CG-1258………………………$84.00 *
Approval of Exchange if covered by a mortgage, CG-4593………………..…….$24.00
Bill of Sale (per page)………………….……………………………………..…..$ 8.00
Transfer on the reverse of a CG-1270 (Certificate of Documentation)…………..$ 8.00
Mortgage (per page)………..……………………………………………….....….$ 4.00
One page with information on both the front and back is considered TWO (2) pages.

* ADD endorsement fee: Coastwise……………...………………………......…..$29.00
Fishery……………………………………………....…$12.00
Recreation or Registry………………………...NO CHARGE
NOTE: When more than one endorsement is requested, only the single highest endorsement rate applies-$29.00 MAXIMUM.

Check or money order payable to U.S. COAST GUARD or credit card authorization MUST accompany application.

Submit to:
U. S. Coast Guard
National Vessel Documentation Center
792 T J Jackson Drive
Falling Waters, WV 25419

For forms and information on vessel documentation please visit our homepage at USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page.
Old 08-08-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

You should re-document just for the purpose of establishing ownership. You can then delete or let the documentation expire and register it locally if you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-08-2012
Orange is the new black.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.....I knew I could count on you .
Old 08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
You should re-document just for the purpose of establishing ownership. You can then delete or let the documentation expire and register it locally if you like.
IF one is a resident, some states require you to register whether the vessel is documented or not. My documented vessel must still be registered in NJ every year and I must display the registration decal. I am only exempt from having to display the State registration numbers on the bow.
Old 08-08-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
IF one is a resident, some states require you to register whether the vessel is documented or not. My documented vessel must still be registered in NJ every year and I must display the registration decal. I am only exempt from having to display the State registration numbers on the bow.
I was not inferring that registration was not necessary. Just that he has to at least document and/or register locally. Some states require both but he did not ask about registering, just documenting.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

kj, documenation ensures a good title to the next buyer. So even if your boat is smaller, cheaper, older, and you have no interest in maintaining the documented status?

It may be worth your while to have the documentation updated to your name (it is a free renweal annually after you have it changed) because sooner or later, when you go to sell the boat...The next buyer knows they are getting a clean title when they are buying a documentated vessel, and that may be well worth the hundred dollar cost you pay now.

There are different legal obligations and benefits to the owners of documented vessels as well, but those have gotten fewer and fewer and apply mainly when you are out of US waters.