SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   pointing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90705-pointing.html)

john shaw 08-09-2012 07:48 AM

pointing

My C@C 24 points worse than any other boat in the racing fleet - we are usually 5 to 10 degrees worse off. In previous years, a similar C&C 24 pointed well..so there is a problem with pointing on my boat. What steps can I take to correct this.

fordo 08-09-2012 08:03 AM

Re: pointing

How old are your sails? Are they stretched out at all? A baggy jib will prevent you from pointing well.

Chadfunk48 08-09-2012 08:03 AM

I'm no expert in this area for sure. But I can tell you that the other guys who are experts are going to need alot more details to try and diagnose your problem. And of course pictures always help. Some things you may want to add are does your sail shape look good? ARe you able to get your foresail in close? Is your main making it all the way up the mast? Do you use a taveler? etc etc.. But I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than me will give more specific things to look at.

Tim R. 08-09-2012 08:19 AM

Here is a list of things that could contribute to your problems:

Sail condition
Rig tuning
Helmsman
Sail trimmer
Weight distribution

BarryL 08-09-2012 08:53 AM

Great list.

Add to it:
Dirty bottom
bad prop - like fixed 3 blade or a folding / feathering prop that doesn't work properly

Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by treilley (Post 907300)
Here is a list of things that could contribute to your problems:

Sail condition
Rig tuning
Helmsman
Sail trimmer
Weight distribution

Jetexas 08-09-2012 11:21 AM

What size jib are you using? My Starwind 27 only came with a 70% storm jib and wouldn't point worth crap. I finally put a 100% on her, and now I can close haul to just a few degrees off the wind. It's like night and day.

hellosailor 08-09-2012 11:30 AM

John, you need to work down those lists of possible causes, one by one, and make sure everything is optimized to make the boat fast.

Is your hull or keel dirty? Are your sails blown out? If there's no plastic coating left on them and they don't feel scratchy, odds are they should be used as bedsheets, not sails. Then there's your rigging. Mast, shrouds, stays, all have to be tuned. If your spreaders aren't original (or even if they are) they may be too long. Stock J/24s used to come with spreaders that could be cut down several inches--and the guys who pointed higher always cut them down so the genoa could be hauled in.

Sail trim, weight distribution, crew weight, all can only help so much, but first you need to check out the rest. That can mean someone from a local loft, or someone with more experience, you do what you can. And if you bought the boat used with anonymous sails on it--sometimes they're simply the wrong sails for the boat. You may need a tape measure to check.

It is like playing "where's waldo?". Look carefully, you'll find him.

jsaronson 08-09-2012 11:34 AM

Do you have 2 jib tracks? Try the inboard set.

PaulinVictoria 08-09-2012 12:35 PM

John, which headsail are you flying? The 155 doesn't point well on mine, but with the 115 flying I can point very high (at the cost of some speed of course). If I ever went to a furler up front I would probably put a 135 on there to give a nice compromise.
Do you have tracks installed on yours, or are you using snatch blocks on the toerail?

chuck53 08-09-2012 01:30 PM

What kind of keel do you have? I've got a Catalina with a wing and I understand that the fin keel will make it point better.