Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Planned sewage spill in lower Hudson River?

Seems to happen all too often around here. Usually they offer some good excuse like "it rained" or "there was a fire at the treatment plant" or (the best excuse) "there was a regional power grid failure". This one is due to a broken pipe.
http://www.lohud.com/article/2012080...nclick_check=1

It is all too ironic for boaters who are held to a higher standard than municipalities. Not that I want to dump my holding tank into our waters, quite the opposite in fact. It is just sad.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Planned sewage spill in lower Hudson River?

While I too use pump-outs and I too sometimes feel the CG is getting a bit fussy, what is your counter proposal? IF you were in the repairman's shoes, what would you do?

*Cr_p's going in the street now. Not acceptable and a serious health hazard.
* I need to get the line clear to fix it.
* It's broken. I have no time to plan.
* People are still flushing up the line. Bet I can't stop them.

Perhaps his ONLY option is to open a by-pass and work fast. Sure, you could bring in temporary tanks and pumps, but that would take MUCH longer perhaps resulting in greater damage. I don't know.
CalebD likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

I understand the reason for outflows.....
My opinion is with the all the boaters out there on the water(counted 9 between Rye and Branford CT on Monday), the amount of sewage they could possibly pump through the hull is a spit-in-the-bucket to what one of the many outflows that municipalities releases each year due to Rain, broken pipes, fires.
HDChopper likes this.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 08-09-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Here in Portland, Oregon, on the Willamette River, every time it rained, literally tons of sewage would spill into the River. Nasty.

Now, having completed The Big Pipe job which cost over a billion bucks, they assure us now that it won't happen anymore. I sure hope so.
Old 08-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
While I too use pump-outs and I too sometimes feel the CG is getting a bit fussy, what is your counter proposal? IF you were in the repairman's shoes, what would you do?
Perhaps his ONLY option is to open a by-pass and work fast. Sure, you could bring in temporary tanks and pumps, but that would take MUCH longer perhaps resulting in greater damage. I don't know.
PDQ,

Since I am not a municipal engineer I can't say much except that it is a shame. I'm sure they have to divert 'the flow' in order to fix the infrastructure. I just wish that these systems were built a bit more robustly in the first place such that they do not break or catch fire as often as they seem to. I would also think that these treatment plants should have their own back up generators in the event of a power outage. Wouldn't that make sense?

I think it was last year that we had one sewage spill on the Hudson caused by a tree falling on a pipe in Ossinning, NY. D'oh! Last year we also had a fire at a major plant at 125th St. in NYC. We are not talking a holding tank or three being dumped into the water but millions of gallons a day.

I guess I am just grousing that the level of robustness of these systems is pretty crappy (pun intended). And, yes, it would be worth it to me to pay even more in taxes if they could make these systems more bullet proof. I know you have the same issues on the Bay around Baldimore and frankly most coastal areas in the US suffer similar problems.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-09-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
PDQ,

Since I am not a municipal engineer I can't say much except that it is a shame. I'm sure they have to divert 'the flow' in order to fix the infrastructure. I just wish that these systems were built a bit more robustly in the first place such that they do not break or catch fire as often as they seem to. I would also think that these treatment plants should have their own back up generators in the event of a power outage. Wouldn't that make sense?

I think it was last year that we had one sewage spill on the Hudson caused by a tree falling on a pipe in Ossinning, NY. D'oh! Last year we also had a fire at a major plant at 125th St. in NYC. We are not talking a holding tank or three being dumped into the water but millions of gallons a day.

I guess I am just grousing that the level of robustness of these systems is pretty crappy (pun intended). And, yes, it would be worth it to me to pay even more in taxes if they could make these systems more bullet proof. I know you have the same issues on the Bay around Baltimore and frankly most coastal areas in the US suffer similar problems.
Back-up power seems obvious. It's a permit requirement for many private plants.

Alas, infrastructure investment in sewers is invisible and decidedly not sexy.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 08-09-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

I bike commute to work every day. Interesting note re this big pipe project is that at the first opening, which they eventually covered up, when I ride by it I get a strong stench of sewage every day. Funny thing is that it's right next to a new multi-million dollar outdoor marketplace covered structure for what's called The Saturday Market. I'm sure the vendors are thrilled with that.
Old 08-09-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Its really simple as long as we stick with mixed sewers (sewage and rain) there is ZERO chance of keeping up and thats how we do it
HDChopper likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 08-09-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Lost in Yonkers...

Besides the obvious.. What I found curious in that article...is that the Commissioner of Health in Rockland County wasn't aware of a health advisory that directly affected her county, since the notice took place after business hours..? Public health emergencies only take place between 9-5 ? They need to update their contact list and protocols.
Old 08-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The number of sewage spills in Chesapeake Bay each year is beyond anyone's wildest nightmare. And, under state law, if the spill does not exceed 10,000 gallons it does not have to be reported. Million gallon spills are no longer uncommon in the Baltimore and Washington metro areas, and it would be anyone's guess to the number of 9,999-gallon spills that take place each year.

The irony of all this is that people continue to swim and consume various species of finfish and shellfish from the Chesapeake's horribly contaminated waters. As much as I love sailing the sheltered waters of Chesapeake Bay, in my lifetime I've seen the waters desecrated by municipal and industrial wastes to the point where I sincerely believe just touching the bay's waters can be hazardous to your health. Consuming seafood from the Chesapeake, IMHO, is akin to playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun.

An old friend just emailed me a photo of a place I've never seen - Tahiti. While the bay has never in it's lifetime been this clear, I have witnessed 20-foot underwater visibility when I was just 25 years old and scuba dived for oysters among the pilings of the old Chesapeake Bay Bridge. At the same location a few short weeks ago, the underwater visibility was less than six inches.

I'm really looking forward to sailing in the clear waters of the Florida Keys this winter. And who knows, maybe this old, cantankerous codger will become a boat bum and make my way to Tahiti. Sure would like to see this before I take a dirt nap!

Cheers,

Gary
HDChopper likes this.