Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Nuclear s(n)ubs

"what is with the silent treatment? "
I'd suspect their SOPs and ROEs may require them to maintain radio silence at times, including the times they are sallying out or returning to port, and may be most vulnerable to attack.
OTOH if you are about to violate a security zone, they are (contrarily) required to give you a warning.

So that's what it all comes down to, rules. You can probably write to a pr office and get specifics of what to accept, and what they are normally allowed or required to do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
We have a huge sub testing base straddling Georgia Strait. One even sunk a classic yacht, leaving a fiend clinging to a propane bottle. They rescued him, and the sub crew were thoroughly drunk.
IIRC that was a Chilean sub with some Americans onboard and it was in Juan de Fuca, not Whiskey Golf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-10-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"what is with the silent treatment? "
I'd suspect their SOPs and ROEs may require them to maintain radio silence at times, including the times they are sallying out or returning to port, and may be most vulnerable to attack.
OTOH if you are about to violate a security zone, they are (contrarily) required to give you a warning.

So that's what it all comes down to, rules. You can probably write to a pr office and get specifics of what to accept, and what they are normally allowed or required to do.
Maintaining radio silence when they are on the surface near the entrance to a port seems a bit silly - arrogant even. They should remember who they are working for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-10-2012

tbctx is on a distinguished road

As someone that is an ex-submariner that is normal protocol. If a real person is replying your about to have issues and may/may not have a boat that still floats.
poopdeckpappy likes this.
Old 08-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"a fiend clinging to a propane bottle. "
I can't believe a Canadian naval crew were so incompetent, drunk or sober, that they left a fiend alive after they attacked his vessel. Good lord, next they'll be awarding refugee status to anyone who can reach the customs post.

Oh, wait, they do that already, don't they?
Old 08-10-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Maintaining radio silence when they are on the surface near the entrance to a port seems a bit silly - arrogant even. They should remember who they are working for.
Oh they know who they for and we know they are too busy to chat with some dillweeds in rec. boat.

Give them all the space you can and just enjoy the awsome veiw that not everyone gets to see

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-10-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

I include myself in that " dillweeds in rec. boat " comment

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-11-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
My sub skipper despised sailboats (probably why I have one). His #1 rule-of-the-road is the law of HY-80 steel (the pressure hull material). Yes, that is arrogant. On the other hand it always amazed me how sailboats would cruise right into our channel apparently clueless that there was an enormous warship under the little bit sticking above the surface. Each "Back Emergency" evolution on the power plant undoubted cost more in nuclear fuel than you'll spend on fuel over the life of your sailboat.

Maneuvering a submarine on the surface in traffic is demanding business. Expecting the crew to chit-chat with recreational traffic on a casual basis (such as asking about rules) is well...arrogant. They work for your benefit but in no way work for you.

The crews that I had the honor to serve with were unquestionably among the most professional mariners ever to take to the seas. You can thank them for their service by giving them as much space as possible.

Chris

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 08-11-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We have a huge sub testing base straddling Georgia Strait. One even sunk a classic yacht, leaving a fiend clinging to a propane bottle. They rescued him, and the sub crew were thoroughly drunk.
Marine Investigation Report M94W0078

This is irrelevant to a question about American subs. Your friend was at fault in this collision. I seriously doubt the claim that the Chilean crew was thoroughly drunk.

Quote:
I remember campaigning in a federal election, when the range had not been used for a long time. When I went home, I found the nuclear sub crew getting drunk in a local bar..
What your politics have to do with a crew drinking on their own time is a complete mystery.

Chris

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 08-11-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDog View Post
Marine Investigation Report M94W0078

This is irrelevant to a question about American subs. Your friend was at fault in this collision. I seriously doubt the claim that the Chilean crew was thoroughly drunk.

What your politics have to do with a crew drinking on their own time is a complete mystery.

Chris
George,

thanks a lot for linking to the accident report. From the report it is as clear as can be that the collision was the fault of the yacht's operator.

Brent,

I have A LOT of esteem for you as a boat designer. However, if you cannot present evidence supporting your claim that the sub crew was drunk, this is nothing but slander.

From my own experience in the navy, it is inconceivable that any crew involved in the operation of a naval vessel in difficult traffic conditions is 'drunk.'