Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Nuclear s(n)ubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I kinda like the idea that the US navy uses the psychological intimidation thing in it's encounters. But really, in our own waters, would it be so damaging to their image to respond to one of their fellow citizens?

Even a short, cryptic message acknowledging the sailboats existence would be better than a complete snub.

And as far as who they work for; aren't we still "we the people"?
There is no snub. There is no psychological intimidation. There is no VHF radio operator per se. You are applying descriptions of the situation that do not exist.

There is a crew maneuvering a highly constrained vessel with no thrusters, no close quarters armament, and nearby vessels treating them like a Disney spectacle.

Give them room and get over yourself. We are the people. They are the people who work their a$$ off so that you have the freedom to complain about how they do business.

Sorry to be curt but geez, they are a 7000 ton warship. You (we) are a Clorox bottle.

Chris
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Okay Chris, I'll get over myself.

I just concluded that since the OP received a message over the VHF that the sub might actually have a real person that could operate one. And that a 20 or 30 second message in response to a fellow citizen in their own waters might not actually be enough to endanger the sub's existence.

But then I've never been on a sub and if you say that there is no one available to operate a VHF radio, who am I to argue.

Sheesh. Get over yourself.
Old 08-11-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I get why the Navy doesn't make small talk with recreational boaters. In popular boating areas it seems as if every jackwagon with a VHF likes to speak just to hear their own voice. Imagine the nutjobs that would want to converse with the Navy...

It's rude for sure but in the long run it's likely considerably easier than answering every yokel with a radio.

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying anyone here is a "nutjob" or "yokel with a radio".
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 08-11-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

"the Navy doesn't make small talk with recreational boaters"....

This...
Old 08-12-2012
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road

Knothead,

I just re-read my post and realized it was too curt, even rude. Sorry.

On that sub are 100+ crew below who have little insight into the conditions and boat traffic on the surface. None of them would make a useful VHF operator due to the lack of situational information. On the top of the sail are a small number (2-4 on my boat depending upon conditions) who are the ship's eyes and ears. One of them is driving the boat (giving commands to those maneuvering the boat). In tight quarters he is too busy with really high value tasks (like keeping his job) to be concerned with radio traffic. The others are lookouts don't have the authority to talk to speak for the ship.

I spent a lot of time on the top of the sail. We communicated in very nautical terms: the horn. Never did it occur to me that people in recreational boats were trying to engage us on VHF. Intimidation or rudeness was never part of the plan...driving the boat safely was the sole business.

I did however often (always) wish I was on one of those sailboats instead. Now I have my wish.

Best,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 08-12-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

A warship may be targeted by terrorists. Every sailboat, fishing boat, jetski is a potential threat. Their protocol is based on the overall threat of an attack not so much how frendly the nearby boats look. If the warship sees all of them yielding to the 500 yd perimeter and veering away rather than engaging with them would make it overall safer. Last thing we want is to help terrorists figure out how to get our warships to let their guard down by acting like a recreational boater.
Old 08-12-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Part of operating any boat safely is adequate communication be it a boomer or a dug out canoe!
Old 08-12-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Part of operating any boat safely is adequate communication be it a boomer or a dug out canoe!
The situation described by the OP did not require a two way conversation to avoid a collision.
Old 08-12-2012

tbctx is on a distinguished road

It has adequate communications, not the OPs comment on the recording saying to back off. Idle chat is a whole different ball game. Also as GeorgeDog said there is only really 1 person up there topside that has the authority to talk and even for them idle talk is a great way to lose their job even if they don't mess anything else up.
Old 08-12-2012

pilotman is on a distinguished road

If you're operating in the vicinity of naval vessels on a regular basis, I'd suggest an inexpensive rangefinder.

Check eBay, a cursory search there turned up a few units in the $100-$150 range.

$150 isn't bad for a device that could potentially prevent you from committing a felony...