Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: About single handing!

Yep,
All joking aside there are some really good tips and advice here. I will throw in what works for me since I single hand a lot and dock in different and new locations regularly. There are a couple things I always try to do when docking, 1) I always have four lines rigged and ready before I come into a slip, two fore and two aft. If I am entering a marina where I know staff is waiting to catch a line I place the loop over my cleats and have the lines ready to toss to the dock hands. If I am coming in on my own I tie them to my boat with cleat hitches so I have large loops to drop over pilings or cleats ready. 2) Probably the single most helpful thing I do is rig mid boat lines to both sides. I do not have mid cleats so I tie long lines to the lower part of my shrouds and run them outside the life lines and back to the main winch in my cockpit. One of these lines (typically whichever is upwind as I enter the slip) is the first one I get around something. Doesn't matter if it is a piling or a cleat on a finger pier. The mid line run back to the cockpit wii hold the boat still and keep it from twisting around allowing me to shut the engine down and casually fix the dock and spring lines. The key to the mid cleated line is to do no more than drape it over the piling (do not wrap or tie) and use the winch to pull the boat snug, it will stop the twisting that the cross wind will attempt to induce.

I don't rig fenders when entering a slip as I find they are more in the way than a help. I do rig fenders if I know I am coming into a floating dock or a full length finger pier. I often use the mid cleated line even when I have a helper on deck if there is a significant cross wind. It is very simple to point the bow close enough to a piling to have a helper simply drop the line over it and then I can control the boat from the cockpit and get everything completely settled down before using lines to finish getting us docked and tied.

Happy docking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenKing View Post
I havestarted sailing in NC this summer. I have had to do some of it single handed. Its not easy! I love threads like this to pick up tips.
I started this year too. In South Carolina.
I can attest to your statement. It isnít easy. I have bumped the dock. In fact on Sunday my wife and I went out with no wind well some but not much. We got back just in time to catch an afternoon storm. I left my 30 C&C on the face dock tied up. I went back yesterday to put it back into the slip, Single handed. I thought I was there at the right time at the slack low tide. "Wrong" it had started to go ever so slightly back out, putting the current at my stern. It shoved me into my slip. I tie up on the starboard side. I had fenders out. I tried to slow by using reverse. The right hand prop-wash drove my stern out from the dock. Thank god I had no vessel beside me. But I got it done I bumped a little but no harm a little buffing wonít fix. It is a great hobby and sport; I am having the time of my life. Thank god thereís sailing.
Old 08-15-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Why do I single hand and why should you?

If you have been following this thread and don't single hand, or are relatively new at it, but are apprehensive about it, don't be. When you single hand (or feel capable of single handing), you open up lots of additional sailing opportunities. But you do have to plan ahead more for evolutions such as setting up lines, docking, or special docking assists to aid you. Also, you have to give a bit more thought about Plan B to get out of this mess when things go wrong, and consider the impact of increased wind or wave action. And things will go wrong at times.

I found that, when I felt that I needed at least one other person on board to assist me, that in addition to being subject to weather (too much wind, too little, too hot, too cold, ...) that I was slave to other's agendas. I had to ask "crew" in advance if they wanted to go sailing on a particular day. Sometimes yes, sometimes no...it was their schedule that was controlling things. And if they did come, sometimes it was "I've got two hours" when you had hoped for a day. Or at times, if they came, the wind had picked up to where I was uncomfortable in departing/docking, or the wind had died so that it was just going to be drifting in hot summer heat...but I had to go since I promised them to go sailing. And as to their help, unless they were active boaters, usually they did the wrong thing, or took too long to do something, like trying three or four times to place the bow line that they just released on the piling while the boat was drifting into a sideways position which made getting out difficult without lots more maneuvering. When you can single hand, you can go when you want to go, often on short notice. In your maneuvering, you are not dependent on your crew or guests. You know what you want and you do it. Usually, when I have guests on board, I'll say I want to do it myself to get practice for when I am alone, and simply ask them to standby to push off on the leeward piling if I don't clear it...which I normally do. It's nice to have guests on board, and sometimes they really can help in difficult evolutions, such as getting that bow or springline on the piling while you are maneuvering the boat so they can do it when wind has picked up significantly. Once out, I let my guests steer and I tend the sails. Generally, they go away happy.

As to size of boat, I can only speak to smaller to midsize boats (22-32ft.), but I found my 28' easier to handle than my 22' or 24', and my 32' easier than all the others. Docking is a bit of a challenge because the slip, being more or less constant width while accommodating a much wider boat means there is less room for error.

As I said at the beginning, I've been doing it a long time, but still don't feel comfortable in many situations..i.e. the crosswind docking at 20 kts. that I discussed. Often in more moderate conditions, my dockings look good, and sometimes they don't. So far, I haven't damaged the boat, so I guess I'm doing ok. And still learning. One of the reasons that I presented the beginning of the thread the way that I did was that I wanted to get some of the more experienced boaters to share their techniques so we can all learn from them. They have done this, and I hope they will continue to do so, especially in dealing with crosswinds, gusts, and currents.
casey1999 and Silvio like this.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.