Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Anchoring Question

Say I set a single anchor (CQR), and it buries deep into the sand. Can I just leave the boat for hours at a time and depend on the anchor even if the wind shifts 180 deg and starts blowing hard?

I see where some set two anchors at 180 deg to each other but this does not seem common. Seems if the anchor sets really deep and then you start pulling it at 180 deg you could bend the shank.

What is best technique for long term anchoring (few days or more)?

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2012

klem is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring Question

You will get many opinions on this but really, the key to long term anchoring is to pick up a mooring which is designed to handle the varying direction of loading.

Even a very deeply buried cqr will pull out if you get a 180 degree wind shift with enough breeze. The new generation of anchors (Spade, Manson, Rocna, Mantus, etc) are designed so that in most situations they will stay fully embedded and simply rotate as opposed to pulling out and then resetting. However, this is not perfect and it really comes down to how risk averse you are as to whether you do it or not. Keep in mind, if your boat drags, you are likely to hook or hit another causing problems for others besides yourself.

The main working differences between moorings and anchors is that moorings are set in any wind direction and they work on much shorter scope. With the exception of mushroom mooring anchors lying on their side, moorings are symmetrical about the vertical axis meaning that the direction of pull doesn't matter. The shorter scope is allowed by the significantly heavier gear. This weight is the reason why we don't carry around anchoring gear that resembles a mooring. The one type of mooring setup that is easily transportable is the 3(or more) point mooring system where anchors are set out at 120 angles to each other so that each anchor only sees a relatively constant angle of pull. These systems are a pain to set up but if you plan to leave the boat somewhere for a while and need to carry your own gear, it is probably the best system. Keep in mind that each anchor needs to be large enough to carry the entire load and that the geometry of this system matters so read up on it if you plan to use it.

The bahamian moor style (2 anchors 180 apart) is only good when a perfect 180 degree direction of pull change is required such as in a tidal river. If there is a side load, the load on the anchors is much higher than it would be on a single anchor and the direction of pull changes some. Also, the 2 rodes will foul each other with time which is very bad. The 3 point system above should have a single line/chain attached to the boat.
Old 08-13-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

We get 4 tide shifts a day here. Some spots the mud is really soft and we will drag if the wind shifts suddenly and continues to blow. In some spots I set an alarm for the tide change at night. After a day or so we know if we are going to drag in this particular location.

Single anchor 45# CQR with plenty of rode (chain) for the depth works well for us. On and off the boat everyday. Same anchorage for days, weeks, and months at a time.

We never leave the boat unattended on anchor overnight, anywhere.

If I was to do so, then I'd probably use 2 anchors on a single rode. Choice of anchors depending on the bottom.

The mooring bouy idea I think is better and if I have to leave the boat unattended then a marina is my best insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-13-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Say I set a single anchor (CQR), and it buries deep into the sand. Can I just leave the boat for hours at a time and depend on the anchor even if the wind shifts 180 deg and starts blowing hard?

I see where some set two anchors at 180 deg to each other but this does not seem common. Seems if the anchor sets really deep and then you start pulling it at 180 deg you could bend the shank.

What is best technique for long term anchoring (few days or more)?

Regards
There are no guarantees but as Klem suggested a new generation anchor would be a much better choice than a CQR. If its a calm day and you are relatively close to the boat OK. You can get back quick If the wind is strong I would not leave the boat without someone capable staying aboard. I'm assuming you always power set your anchor.
Old 08-13-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

We have anchored and left our boat over night many a times using our 60 lb. Bruce.

If you are not comfortable with your gear, then stay close and get a feel for what your boat does with that gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Everything Klem said is spot on. However, I leave my 28' boat on a single, almost 50 pound CQR with 100 feet of 5/8 chain in about 10 to 13 feet of water often. And sometimes I don't get back to it for day's (because I go on unexpected adventures and I like to see them through.) the tide here changes 4 times a day and the wind varries but I rarely worry. The reason I don't put out 2 is because as Klem said they will foul eachother. I have a homemade anchor/mooring system the boat stay's on for permanent storage, but when sailng and cruising the big CQR is my primary and I carry 70 pound Danforth for a storm. I've left the boat for a month on the big D-forth in Belize to go back to Miami to make some more money and it was still there when I got back, of course.
Old 08-13-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all.

I use a 35 lb CQR with 100 ft of 3/8 " chain and another 100 ft rope rode. I usally anchor in sand where no permanent moorings are available (or allowed). I do have a 35 lb. mason supreme on the boat in the hold if I need it (back-up). Would I be better to always use the Mason Supreme? Would it reset faster/better than the CQR. I do power set the anchor and dive it to see how she sets. Boat weighs about 13,000 lb and has a very small wind/water profile which reduces anchor forces.
Old 08-13-2012

sailbum105 is on a distinguished road

There's never a guarantee with anchoring, so when the winds shift drastically and become a lot stronger, you really want to be on-board.

That said, if you can't be on board, I suggest a lot of chain rode and then a VERY long rode!
Old 08-13-2012

klem is on a distinguished road

casey,

In my opinion, you will be very happy if you switch out your CQR for your Manson supreme, especially since it won't cost a thing. In the vast majority of anchoring situations, the most important characteristics are setting and reset/veering ability. I am not aware of any bottoms where the CQR will outset the Manson supreme and there are many where the Manson will do much better. The CQR will pull out and need to reset in a large wind shift whereas the Manson will almost always stay buried and if it does come out, it is much more likely to reset. One note on the Manson is that you should attach your shackle to the small hole at the end of the shank instead of the rock slot because the anchor will likely be pulled out if you use the rock slot and have a wind shift.

If more extreme conditions come in, another factor gains importance which is holding power. Again, I do not know of a bottom where the CQR will do better and there are many where the Manson will do better.

Your CQR may very well do the job but your chances will be better with the Manson. Still, I would think twice about leaving the boat unattended for long periods of time on this setup although many people do just that.
Old 08-13-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I have a 40-pound CQR attached to 50-feet of 1/4-inch chain, which is spliced to 150-feet of 1/2 nylon rope. Most of the time I'm anchored in less than 10 feet of water and never had the anchor pull out or drag, but that's in the Chesapeake's gooey mud and sand mixture. (Kinda' like settin' anchor in a large turd!) Sure makes you glad you have a saltwater washdown system.

Now, I'm thinking about adding another 50 to 100-feet of chain to the existing chain. Considering that I have an electric windlass, is there some method of connecting the chains together it will still pass through the gypsy without hanging up?

Almost forgot: Does anyone use a retrieval line and float with their CQR? And, if so, how much line?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 08-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.