SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Help find missing boat in eastern Lake Erie (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90902-help-find-missing-boat-eastern-lake-erie.html)

Sanduskysailor 08-13-2012 01:58 PM

Help find missing boat in eastern Lake Erie

My friend needs help locating his boat which is adrift somewhere in eastern Lake Erie. The boat is a blue/grey C&C 115 with a white deck by the name of Blue Dog out of Rocky River Ohio. The boat was being delivered back to Rocky River on the evening (10pm) of the 11th after the Falcon Cup. The 2 crew delivering the boat ran into trouble about 2 miles off Mentor Ohio and were rescued by the Coast Guard. The CG did not secure the boat and allowed it drift. The wind and waves on Saturday evening were 15-25 out of the southwest with 6 foot waves. No sails were up. The wind on Sunday switched in the morning to about 290 degrees and then to 260 degrees. It subsided around 4:00pm. The boat is thought to have drifted towards Erie Pa at 2-3 knots. The CG did a search on Sunday with no success. If anyone in Erie or Dunkirk has seen it call the CG or pm me and I will put you in touch with the owner.

dergon 08-13-2012 06:37 PM

Re: Help find missing boat in eastern Lake Erie

My wife has crewed on that boat. These are good peoples.....really hope Blue Dog is found safe.

smackdaddy 08-13-2012 06:41 PM

Bummer. Any word on why the delivery crew bailed?

bljones 08-13-2012 06:50 PM

I'll put the word out on this side.

dergon 08-13-2012 08:34 PM

Rumor has it the prop and rudder were fouled with a spring line........ unsure as to why USCG involved and why they left the vessel.....certainly sounds like some compromised decision making.

Sanduskysailor 08-14-2012 12:15 AM

It is unclear why the CG let this boat go adrift. I happened to be at MHYC Saturday evening and helped this boat cast off the fuel dock at 8:20pm. We saw the flares while eating dinner at around 8:45 and had the CG notified. Saturday night was miserable with 6 foot waves, rain, and 20+ knot winds. Speculation was that the CG sent a RIB out from Fairport harbor to take the crew off . I imagine the 2 crew panicked in those conditions with a fouled prop/rudder. It would be impossible to get the main up in those conditions as the boat be abeam to the wind and pitching violently. I'm pretty sure the boat didn't have roller furling. In any case sailing back into MHYC was not an option because the cut was treacherous in those conditions especially at night. I hope the boat is found.

protean 08-14-2012 08:17 AM

BTW, the CG lifeboat is back at MHYC with engine troubles. Could be why they sent an RIB out for Blue Dog.

It was at Mentor back in June for an engine replacement.

cb32863 08-14-2012 09:23 AM

Here we go...... getting my popcorn...

Barquito 08-14-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

popcorn ? So they guy down below thinks its funny and entertaining that someone lost their sailboat.
Not a comedy. Maybe a drama, or a tragedy.

Looks like the wind will be down for a few days. It will also clock to the North. That boat may be out there for a good long time.

I'm sure the CG had a good reason not to tow the boat back. Not so sure about the delivery crew. Could have possibly hove-to for the night, etc.

Mobnets 08-14-2012 10:19 AM

I don't think anyone would think this funny or entertaining, nor did I automatically think cb32863 did.

Having followed this forum for some time now I believe cb32863's reference to "popcorn" referred to sitting back and watching the anticipated debate and comments about how the situation was handled by the crew and the coast guard.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"