Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Pirate of Pine Island is Alive!!!

Ahoy me mateys Ibe one rather disheveled scoundrel of de sea and wot in de hell is wrong wit dat I ask ye? I been beaten and battered and iffin dem dim wits of de kings law coulda found me I''d been on de gallows for sure. I been hiding out in West Palm whilst me cases lay in de irons of justice.Tis a fact dem morons of Cape Coral actually had de nerve to put me name on a warrant. I donts mean a simple citation mind you I got dem first ,I mean de... do not pass go kind... Seems me naturally beligerent, alcohol induced pennsmanship was not taken too well by dem idiots in Cape Coral City Council, de Mayor and de silly twit of a Police Chief. AARRGGHH. But I pays em no wot for and de outcome on de first count was dismissed on motion of technical error in de ordinance. Aye, I''s got de paper to prove it. And after de hearing in de Judges chambers I personally insulted de intelligence of de whole room full of coppers in front of a packed gallery of citizens on me way out. De second case went to trial to my suprise cause it was so full of dry rot it was laughable . De dim wit of a copper gets up and rambles on for a few minutes den I''s gets me chance and de first thing I tells his execellency is dat de dim wit copper ain''t even a good liar. Dem citizens watchin me, heard the string of state and federal laws come shooting out in a furious broadside of justice. De bailiff got tired of hauling me presedendces and statues to his excellency. Why dis here guy reads it all looks up and say''s "I cannot find beyond a reasonable doubt that you have violated de law...NOT GUILTY. AARRGGHH. Been drunk ever since. Truth is simple. Vessels operating in the right of navigation have no anchoring limits or restrictions. Period. Just don''t live on board. Anchor it and walk away, perfectly legal. It''s in the books now. Pirate of Pine Island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2004

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Ahoy, Pirate of Pine Island! You are indeed the greatest legal mind of the eighteenth century! Congratulations!
Old 02-15-2004

Dave A is on a distinguished road

Thank you Big Red for taking the problem to the court and getting a decision. I have a question,how long is considered "living aboard". Anchor and sleep overnight and then walk away or are we talking walk away within a short peroid of time like a 1/2 hour.
Was a time set on what consitutes "living aboard". A few years ago I was living aboard my Pearson 35 in FL. and I am planing on returning to that life in the near future. That is the reason for my question.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-15-2004

Ahoy, me mateys the legal position is this : Florida statue in adherence to Federal Maritime law has clearly preserved the right of non liveaboard vessels from any and all restriction. The statue clearly resricts any local goverment from legislation of any kind. In addition a second statue also restricts local goverment from laws restricting any waterway with out prior state approval and the application for and a permit to do so.

However Federal law grants the States the power to restrict the live aboards under the guise of enviromental water quality standards (sanitation) and residency of citizens within its state (states rights). The City of Cape Coral has an ordinance specifically restricting anchorage to two basins and imposes a two week limit for live aboards.

My case was simpler in the respect that I anchored my vessel in a one of these land locked basins near to my home after snapping my Mizzen mast to make repairs. I was in transit to a Marina in Fort Myers from me pirates hideout on Pine Island for a much needed haul out.

While there some miscretents pulled my stern anchor and my vessel floated over the flats on high tide and grounded hard. It took several weeks to free me vessel and it was during this time that the City started issuing citations. From that point on the battle was joined. Within a few days of refloating of my vessel, it was again tampered with and this time she sat it 30 inches of water on hard botton. When I say tampered with I mean the stern anchor hauled up and neatly coiled on the aft deck. It was clear to me that the local residents did not like my use of puplic waters. The other important fact in this story is that my vessel was anchored in front of a public water acess park, so I was not trespassing when I rowed to shore, taking my dinghy with me. (two blocks form home)

The Cape Coral Police were very beligerent and ignorant of common courtesies and the law. The City of Cape Coral Marine Police Unit is completely inept and cannot even tie a proper knot. Frankly the millon dollar budjet for this unit is little more than a boys club for the Police. And boys they are, sad little children with big egos and little brains. The local newspapers even featured my vessl while aground.

There were many more issues raised in reguards to the citations I was issued and the manner of prosecution and enforcement which I continue to adress in the political process. I have offered the city the chance to make a free slip available for any Pirate Vessel that calls in the future as my terms to let it drop. I suspect they will try to arrest me for extortion next. The attorney for a civil suit I am persuing is drouling. He thinks I should quit fooling around with the Mayor and City Council but I''m still looking for a little paypack in front of an audience before I take them to the bank.

The live aboard rule is undefined but if you are a Florida resident and maintain a legal residence in the state you are not a liveaboard. The state cannot restrict how much time you spend on your vessel, Life Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness, means something even today. If you are from out of state you have 30 days before Florida claims you as a resident. Ten days after that you must change your drivers license. and so on. However as an out-of state resident I believe Cape Coral''s 2 week restriction to be invalid under federal law.

The records of my trials can be viewed at the Lee County Court Clerk''s web page Click on criminal records and search by name (Redden), then (Michael Joseph), your going to have to scroll down the list to find me. Once you see the two lines with my name click on the case number and the entire file opens . This is an excellent web site and it is great fun to snoop your neighbors. By the way there is another person with a very similar name to mine so look for the middle initial (J).
I have some very amusing Letters that have been sent to the Mayor and City council in my efforts to get them to drop the citations prior to trial, but the stupid twits walked right into a civil rights problem they could not get out of. They cannot publicly admit what they did and in the end the taxpayers will have to foot the bill. It is sad that our goverment has sunk to this level but I''m a Pirate so who am I to talk about Honor? AARRGGHH . Pirate of Pine Island
Old 02-15-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

BR56,

Great to see you on here again. Your sagacity (and not to mention your wit) were missed. Sorry to hear about the legal crapola, but at least you carried the day. Maybe Johnny Depp will play you in the movie! Now, keep your nose clean and stay within sight on here. People were starting to ask about you!
Old 02-16-2004

Dave A is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the full discription of your trials and the outcome, I will take a look at your record.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-17-2004
The Sea Angel

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahoy Bigred,
I am sooo glad you are alive and well! May I please have your e-mail addy so I can e-mail something to you?
Thanks, Brenda
Old 02-17-2004

Ahoy, For all to know I may be reached at

michaelredden@hotmail.com
or
plumber56@earthlink.net

Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-27-2004

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

Honor, my brother is what we pirates base our very existence upon! It’s good to see that you are still intolerant of those who have none.

Glad to see you’ve escaped with your hide intact! I was going to put together an armada and sail that way to lay siege to Cape Coral but before we could get under way, me ship was embayed by ice! ‘Tis probably a good thing because I would have lost me job and apartment and me family would have been some upset. Never the less, it’s the thought that counts… right?

Welcome back!