Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Re: Stop freakin' waving at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Man you have a problem!
With all kinds of stuff we can use these forums for, you come up with this?

Give us your boat name and we'll either ignore you or gesture using different fingers.
Also rename you boat Grumpy Hermit
I thought the forum was for sailors to discuss things (sailing and otherwise) that strike their fancy. If I'm wrong, please provide me with a list of topics or themes that the forum would find acceptable.

I'm 'grumpy' because I don't 'get' the need to acknowledge, and be acknowledged by every other boat on the water? You feel that this justifies making me a pariah and making rude gestures? That makes you the working part of the extremity of the alimentary canal.

Thanks for the suggestion of a new boat name, but, had you read the thread I started on the process I went through to name my boat (I trust that that was a suitable use of the forum's space) you would appreciate that I am not inclined to go through the process again too soon.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Must be an eastern Canadian thing.

Out west here, we are much more friendly. We wave, nod, acknowledge and generally are glad there are like minded people around.
tspooner likes this.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 08-14-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Guys, go easy. If you had a cold Canadien breeze blowing up your kilt you'd be a little grumpy too.

Seriously Welshman if this is the worst you have to worry about, I'd open a bottle of your favorite drink and toast your good fortune to an uneventful trip.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-14-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I grew up boating. Have been on the water over 40 years. Power and sail. It is just something I have always done.

Why is it so hard for you to reciprocate? Personally, I find it rather rude when someone does not at least give me a nod.

Advice: dont ever visit any of the Maine islands. With the exception of MDI, all the locals will wave to you. Not waving back will definitely affect your stay there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-14-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I Love British Humor....More Posts OP!
Old 08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Must be an eastern Canadian thing.

Out west here, we are much more friendly. We wave, nod, acknowledge and generally are glad there are like minded people around.
Apparently it's only me - as almost everyone else on the water seemed to want to wave.

It's funny though how, what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek thread on an insignificant topic got nasty so quickly. It is also interesting that the people who seem to take such offense to my desire to be un-acknowledged appear to be the first to want to flip me the bird.

Interesting thoughts about the culturality of greetings though. I spent some time living in Cree communities in the North. The Cree don't greet you, they just come up, say their piece and leave without any kind of closure. It took me a year to realize that it wasn't just me: they did it with everyone. I even started interacting that way as well.

It took me a while to get back to the "How's it going?" openers and the "Okay. See ya later." departures.
srqsailor likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08-14-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
It's funny though how, what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek thread on an insignificant topic got nasty so quickly. It is also interesting that the people who seem to take such offense to my desire to be un-acknowledged appear to be the first to want to flip me the bird.
Those most offended also seem to be the newest here. Read into that what you will.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Guys, go easy. If you had a cold Canadien breeze blowing up your kilt you'd be a little grumpy too.

Seriously Welshman if this is the worst you have to worry about, I'd open a bottle of your favorite drink and toast your good fortune to an uneventful trip.
I never wear my kilt while sailing, it affects my trim!

Who said this was the worst I had to worry about?

I didn't mention those pesky nuisances, paddling their dinghies up to me at anchor, making 'small talk' and generally being annoying.

What about joining 'friends' for dinner on their boat and having to bring my own beer?

Not to mention our view of the gorgeous celestial vistas being constantly interrupted by all of those damned shooting stars of the Perseids.
JimMcGee likes this.

Old 08-14-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

wow this is really strange thread. You really don't know that those people are not waving at you? after 45 years sea I have come to realize that they are either checking the wind direction or making sure that you're not a pirate. captg
Old 08-14-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

One of my favorite things about living in the Keys or visiting the Bahamas was saying hello to everybody and just the feeling of being in a small community similar to what most boaters feel. When we moved back to "civilization", we always got kind of weird looks saying hello to every passer-by.

I personally like how we all wave to one another and wish the rest of the world would do the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.