Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Stop freakin' waving at me!

I
(wave)can
see(wave)
where (wave, wave)
flyboy's coming from
(wave)
sorta...
he really needed to lay out the context better. See, where he sails from, it's not unusual to pass or be passed by 40-50 vessels an hour on a busy weekend morning.
So, it can get a little crazy. Imagine if you MISSED waving to someone? then you look like a sob, or those folks wonder what is wrong with them, or rumours start, and next thing you know...
Another wave-heavy passion is motorcycling- every bike low fives every other bike for the most part 'round these parts whether american iron or metric, ... except on friday 13th. When you get 10-50 000 motorcycles in one place it gets too crazy to wave to everyone.

Me? I wave, or raise my mug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
Being new to boating, i kinda like the wave. I usually reserve it for other sailors or to reciprocate others who wave. Seems the PWC crowd is too busy zipping around to wave. I agree with the OP because sometimes i just want to be left alone and enjoy my time on the water.
I have been riding motorcycles for years and i admit i have grown weary of having to wave to every single bike that passes by. Just because we both are on two wheels, doesn't make us buddies. Anyone wave to every car that goes by driving down the road? Not every person on the water is a social butterfly, some of us are out there to get away from the throngs of people we are surrounded by on land. Don't take it personally, it's just the way we are.
Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

In Rock Hall we have documented six different types of waves:

The Science of Waving in Rock Hall Maryland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-14-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Most memorable waving incident trip

My most memorable waving incident was arriving in Ft Pierce Florida at 7am this spring after having crossed from Great Sale. Let me first say that I am generally of the karma view of waving - I pretty much give a nod or a wave anybody who comes close on the water. On a couple of occasions I have either appreciated or given more demonstrative greetings (after bad weather or to / from when headed clearly offshore). But that is another story . . ..

We arrived at the FT. Pierce sea bouy at about 6am on a Saturday and killed a bit of time waiting for the tide and a bit more light. The crew had taken a new seasickness pill when leaving Great Sale and we learned that it put her to sleep . . so I was pretty much exhausted from standing watch for the majority of the 20 hour trip. As we began heading for the inlet channel we noticed a couple of fishing boats outbound, and then a few more, and they just kept coming. We had never been to Ft Pierce so we just assumed it was "that sort of town". The fishing boats would make it to the 2nd or 3rd marker and leave the channel - sometimes with a big yell in our direction sometimes a wave from their beer can carrying fist (most were not really freindly waves but more along the lines of schools out - I'm outta here salutes). Anyway, entering Ft. Pierce, you run the marked channel until you get to a breakwater and a narrow protected channel - maybe 1/4 mile long. We expected that as we reach these confined waters, the traffic would slow down. Wrong. Not only did it increase in volume but they were flying. It soon became apparent that they were hold some sort of dash start fishing tournament and these guys were running at high speed, if not full throttle. At one point, in a channel that's maybe 75 yards wide, we counted 3 fishing boats to our starboard and 2 to port -- they were like gnats. There was no sense in trying to avoid them, I mostly just tried to maintain a constant course while also keeping the boat stable in the midst of all the wake and reflected wake in the channel but a couple crossed the bow at shallow angles within 30-50' at speed (passing within 10-15' feet or our beam)

Back to the waving. Obviously, there was next to no waving in the channel (perhaps a couple acknowledgments of the few guys who did back down when the approached us). But then a funny thing happened . . . we got to the CG base and the CG was sitting right there on the water essentially serving as a start line for these guys. Until the fishing boats reached the cutter, they were going no wake speed -- and as soon as they passed the cutter they all throttled up. Well, by the time we reached the cutter we were tired and pissed and had passed no less than 100 of these guys and we had to keep going. So now we are passing a procession of these same fishing boats - all putting along at 3knots or so.

And don't they ALL F'N wave at us! Now, like I said, I'll pretty much wave at / acknowledge anybody. But this was unreal - these guys (or as close to the same guys as someone can be without actually being the same guys) had just been somewhere between incredibly discourteous and an outright threat to our safety and now they were ******* WAVING AT US? To this day I am proud that despite being that tired, that pissed off, and that provoked, I didn't get in a fight with a drunken redneck fisherman at 7am.

That was the day I didn't wave.

Last edited by blowinstink; 08-14-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2012

rox33861 is on a distinguished road

to the OP (deleted)

Last edited by DRFerron; 08-14-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Inappropriate comment.
Old 08-14-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow1193 View Post
Being new to boating, i kinda like the wave. I usually reserve it for other sailors or to reciprocate others who wave. Seems the PWC crowd is too busy zipping around to wave. I agree with the OP because sometimes i just want to be left alone and enjoy my time on the water.
I have been riding motorcycles for years and i admit i have grown weary of having to wave to every single bike that passes by. Just because we both are on two wheels, doesn't make us buddies. Anyone wave to every car that goes by driving down the road? Not every person on the water is a social butterfly, some of us are out there to get away from the throngs of people we are surrounded by on land. Don't take it personally, it's just the way we are.
Florida?

Florida?

That's south of the Mason Dixon isn't it?

Glad someone here seems to understand....

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08-14-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I
(wave)can
see(wave)
where (wave, wave)
flyboy's coming from
(wave)
sorta...
he really needed to lay out the context better. See, where he sails from, it's not unusual to pass or be passed by 40-50 vessels an hour on a busy weekend morning.
So, it can get a little crazy. Imagine if you MISSED waving to someone? then you look like a sob, or those folks wonder what is wrong with them, or rumours start, and next thing you know...
Another wave-heavy passion is motorcycling- every bike low fives every other bike for the most part 'round these parts whether american iron or metric, ... except on friday 13th. When you get 10-50 000 motorcycles in one place it gets too crazy to wave to everyone.

Me? I wave, or raise my mug.
You've got it exactly right. It's not like I'm passing a couple of boats an hour - it's a constant stream of humanity.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08-14-2012

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road

heres my wave ,lets all wave shall we
Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post

It's funny though how, what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek thread on an insignificant topic got nasty so quickly. ...
You've been around here long enough to know better than that.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-14-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
It's funny though how, what I thought was a tongue-in-cheek thread on an insignificant topic got nasty so quickly.
I have a different take. Seems the OP was nasty from the start. Just say'n.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog: