Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Stop freakin' waving at me!

We just got back from a couple of weeks of cruising up the East side of Georgian Bay.

As some may remember our original plan of heading up to the North Channel was aborted by certain events.

Anyhow, the sail is repaired, the dinghy motor running and we are back to 'normal'.

As I said: we have been cruising around the East Side of Georgian Bay. This, at this time of year, has to be one of the busiest fresh-water boating areas in North America. Between we cruisers (of which we are legion - power and sail); cottagers going to and fro; recreational boaters out for the day; tour boats; PWC's; water-skiiers (wakeboarders); kayakers; canoists; amphibious planes; etc. etc. etc.

Why is it that most people feel inclined to wave at passing fellow boaters?

Almost every vessel we passed - from stand-up paddle board to 70' Sunseeker - gave a wave from cursory to full-blown vigourous.

Why?

We're not in a parade. We don't know these people. What's the point? Is it because of the perception that we are all mariners and have something in common? Bollocks! We have as much in common with the backwards-ball-hat-and-wife-beater-shirt-wearing yobbo on the crappy-music-blaring-bass-throbbing Ski boat as Sir Francis Chichester has with Francesco Schettino.

I can understand if we've been weeks in the Roaring Forties; haven't seen another human for weeks. Here we share a bond. Here the acknowledgement of another soul brings comfort from the isolation. Heading towards Five-Mile Narrows, after passing, and being waved at by, literally thousands of grinning vacationers doesn't require the same interaction.

So please don't wave at me. And especially don't expect a wave back - particularly if you have just swamped me with your six-foot wake (I'm talking to you Mr. SeaRay!)
facabrut likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingwelshman For This Useful Post:
facabrut (10-27-2013)
Old 08-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Stop freakin' waving at me!

It's based upon a long tradition of mariners being available to come to the assistance of another in distress. In fact, you are obligated to do so, albeit, not to put yourself in danger.

The wave is strictly a sign that all is okay. I like the tradition.

Be careful of karma here. We had a guy in our waters fall overboard while boating alone a few weeks back. He was found after treading water without a pfd for 11 hours. I will bet he waived at fellow boaters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I read an article in one of the sailing magazines about waving. It seems harmless. Like nodding at someone you pass walking down the street. A little more arm exercise won't kill me.

It seems people are usually complaining about a lack of civility. But, I'll write your boat name down and if I ever get to Georgian Bay, I'll do my best to remember to ignore you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-14-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Man you have a problem!
With all kinds of stuff we can use these forums for, you come up with this?

Give us your boat name and we'll either ignore you or gesture using different fingers.
Also rename you boat Grumpy Hermit
Old 08-14-2012

Droofus is on a distinguished road

Here is my wave to you, perhaps you have seen it before, it involves a single digit.
SailingBag likes this.
Old 08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It's based upon a long tradition of mariners being available to come to the assistance of another in distress. In fact, you are obligated to do so, albeit, not to put yourself in danger.

The wave is strictly a sign that all is okay. I like the tradition.

Be careful of karma here. We had a guy in our waters fall overboard while boating alone a few weeks back. He was found after treading water without a pfd for 11 hours. I will bet he waived at fellow boaters.
I'm sure than mariners in close proximity to each other e.g. in a harbour etc. didn't spend a lot of time waving to each other.

Sure when two clippers pass mid-ocean it would be natural to salute each other.

When there were fewer boats on the water and the ability of getting support from shore was questionable, then, it made perfect sense for mariners to develop their own support network. It reminds me a bit of bikers. When the occasion to meet anther enthusiast on the highway was more rare the acknowledgement of like-minded riders by way of a wave was understandable. Now when bikers pass one another the former gesture of camaraderie has been replaced by a competition to see who can return the salute with the minimum effort and slightest twitch of the finger.

I think there is a vast difference between a person in obvious distress (i.e. treading water, far from shore) and revelers safely ensconced in the cockpit of their motor yacht.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 08-14-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

What is the problem with waving? It seems to me we could all stand with being a little nicer to one another. A wave is nothing more than a passing gesture of goodwill.

LOL Don't be such a stick in the mud!

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 08-14-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

So you don't like Italians either...eh?
chef2sail likes this.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
Old 08-14-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

You'd better not drive your automobile anywhere in the US south of the 'mason-dixon line' where just about EACH and EVERY motorist waves, just a few fingers is OK, to oncoming traffic on secondary roads.
Its part of Northern European Culture to acknowledge everyone. Hell, in France outside of the big cities its a great rudeness to not only 'say hello' but also say or wave "goodbye" to everyone including large groups and assemblages of strangers that you happenstance upon.

In contrast, The 'mediterranean' culture is "Viva-Yo" - hooray for me and to hell with you. I like the Northerners personally. Perhaps your ancestors came from the mediterranean part of Wales.
Old 08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I read an article in one of the sailing magazines about waving. It seems harmless. Like nodding at someone you pass walking down the street. A little more arm exercise won't kill me.

It seems people are usually complaining about a lack of civility. But, I'll write your boat name down and if I ever get to Georgian Bay, I'll do my best to remember to ignore you.
I'd be a little concerned about someone walking down the street, waving and greeting everyone they passed.

I'm not suggesting that I'm anti-social or wish to be ignored. As a matter of fact, my wife and other friends have commented on the fact that I'm way more gregarious on and around my boat than I am in real life. I just find the constant, and often insincere, gesticulations to be tiresome.

If you ever DO find yourself in Georgian Bay, you would be most welcome aboard my boat Sea Dragon.
DRFerron likes this.