Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Re: Capsizing fears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

You have to really work hard at it in most keelboats and generally need a Spinaker gone bad*

2011 Manhasset Bay fall gusting 30 knots nobody fell over going upwind*
WELL this isnt 15 knots of wind! this more like 20 + every boat has its limits! My brothers hunter 27 could take a good blow so i wouldn't take it out with him! You have to know your limit take sails down or do what SMALL BOAT said! Grow some Balls! my brother boat was tender your 19 i am sure wouldn't be any better! I would stay on land if i were you if its blowing over 15!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
grow some ball and sail
So says the voice of inexperience. Yeah, I saw the smiley but wow, itís hard to believe that you could be so wrong in only four words. I don't think you're going to like what I've got to say.

The OP posted a serious concern and asked for help Ė who are you to trivialize his concerns and effectively say that they donít matter? You questioned his masculinity and implied that he has no balls - thatís plain insulting. You demonstrated a sexist attitude and implied that itís necessary to have balls to sail Ė if my partner grows balls Iíll be very unhappy and sheís a damn good sailor without any.

Most importantly, you are perpetuating the kind of attitude that leads to a lack of respect for the conditions, the boat that you are sailing and the fears of others. Thatís one way people get into difficulties. Thatís one way people get hurt. Thatís one way that people die. And in case you think I'm scare mongering, many years ago I had a good friend, a great sailor but who had that kind of attitude. I got to go to his funeral. The ocean doesn't care about bravado.

I hope that it was just a glib, smart ass comment that you didnít really mean. A little less machismo and a little more thought would be a good thing. And yeah, I used to be young and reckless and now I'm just an old fart with no balls.
Old 08-17-2012
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

@Geoff54??? Really? You need to take a chil pill sorry about your friend but really the guy is asking what to do! I sail a 21 foot CATAMARAN it weighs 1000 pounds maybe i know what i am talking about here! because there is no Heal with me, my HULL comes out of the water! So you better know what the HELL your doing because 1000 ponds on its side and everything in my hulls isn't something you want to play with while your swimming! SO yes sometimes you have to GROW some Balls, SO TRUE! its a figure of speech also! Are you a person that doesnt like WAVED at also? Hey i am waving at you WAVE
WAVE
WAVE

I am being funny here! Life is to short for people like you to get all mad and stuff of a funny typing on a forum! SMILE for the Wavier! ((((( WAVE)))) As i fly by you on my cat with One hull out of the water showing you one side of my A SS ( i mean Hull)..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 08-17-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Well... that escalated quickly.

Back to the topic:

I found this vid online; two guys went out and tried to capsize a Hunter 23

huntercapsize02 - YouTube

different boat; different water; etc. but it proves the point that it takes a lot to capsize a modern sloop. Most of the time it will take a lot more that just sailing like a jack-ass (intentionally or not). You'd have to sail like a jack-ass AND have that big wave come at just the right time.

A Rhodes 19 was the first keel boat I ever sailed on my own. I loved them. If yours has some floatation, sail responsibly and worry about the ice level in your cooler.

You'll be fine.

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
@Geoff54??? Really? You need to take a chil pill sorry about your friend but really the guy is asking what to do! I sail a 21 foot CATAMARAN it weighs 1000 pounds maybe i know what i am talking about here! because there is no Heal with me, my HULL comes out of the water! So you better know what the HELL your doing because 1000 ponds on its side and everything in my hulls isn't something you want to play with while your swimming! SO yes sometimes you have to GROW some Balls, SO TRUE! its a figure of speech also! Are you a person that doesnt like WAVED at also? Hey i am waving at you WAVE
WAVE
WAVE

I am being funny here! Life is to short for people like you to get all mad and stuff of a funny typing on a forum! SMILE for the Wavier! ((((( WAVE)))) As i fly by you on my cat with One hull out of the water showing you one side of my A SS ( i mean Hull)..
I’m not upset and I don’t need a chill pill. I saw a post that was, at best, crass and I called him on it. I don’t see a problem with that. You’re just propagating that attitude. I just reread what I wrote and I don’t think I need to change a word.

“but really the guy is asking what to do” – exactly! and you think “get some balls” is helpful? How about “Get some brains”? Do you think that is just a figure of speech? At least that is only rude - not sexist and dangerous as well. How about “GROW some Brains”? And I THINK that your CAPS button keeps getting STUCK! No need to SHOUT. Especially when most of it doesn’t make SENSE. “I am being funny here! ” – or not.

No idea what all the “WAVE” stuff is about. And I'm sorry that "people like you" feel the need to "GROW some Balls" and "showing you one side of my A SS". Thank you for your considered opinion but I think you’ve lost the plot.

I'm going sailing tomorrow - I wonder if I need to pack some balls.

edit - just fixed a typo..
HDChopper likes this.

Last edited by Geoff54; 08-17-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2012
John

@Geoff54 Here we will go thru this with you here is what the guy wrote! >>> Even after many years of sailing, I've never truly gotten over my fear of knocking down the boat. This my Rhodes 19 with a 440lb keel -- and a sail area of 175s.f. // I know the boat is underpowered, but still when she heels in the gusts it feels like it's going to tip, rather than right itself. My question is, what exactly does it take to knock over a keel boat of this size? Wave action aside, can I bury the rail knowing the wind will spill? Thanks, as usual, for the great advice. I realize that I can reef or take down the jib, but that's not really my point. I'm trying to figure if I can ride out gusts in the 12 to 15 knot range; and even just push it a little in 8 to 10. P.S. Main is on a barney block, so there is no traveler. Thanks again.

Again I am simple saying and so is everyone else here its a 19 footer it will go over! KNOW what your boat can handle and Know what you can handle! If your scared then dont do it! On small boats you need to Grow some balls! it means get tuff, dont be scared fight thru it if you really want to know go do it! 15 knots of wind really isnt that bad! when you get up to 23 + is good stuff! But its all in your boat , how much can your boat handle, well you too?

You seem like a guy that over thinks things, looks into something to far, you need to go sailing. Forget the WAVE im not explaining it!

Old 08-27-2012

Quote:
.. its a 19 footer it will go over! KNOW what your boat can handle and Know what you can handle! If your scared then dont do it!
Good advise and so much better than "get some balls".

Quote:
You seem like a guy that over thinks things, looks into something to far, you need to go sailing.
I did - just got back. Had a great time, thought through everything just about the right amount and didn't need my balls once - at least not for the sailing part.

BTW - Hey Huck, how about you take your own advise. Defend your comment or admit you were wrong.
Old 08-27-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch

I thought the 'grow some balls' comment was rude and uncalled for. It is acutally deserving of a temporary suspension from the site in my opinion! On the net you really never know who it is that is making comments even though they make ya wanna .

c_witch
Old 08-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

I spent my summers in high school and college working at a place that rented Rhodes 19 (keel model) to public. We'd take them out in really big blows of 20-30 and never came close to putting one over or swamping, though you can get a pretty good heel on that boat. I actually think it would be quite difficult to put one over because the boat will round up on you before it'll go over.
HDChopper and peterchech like this.
Old 08-27-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Not even sure the 12 to 15 knots qualifies as "gusts". Your boat should be very capable of handling that.
peoples1234 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site