Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Knapps Narrows Incident - Post Mortem

Did you ever determine why the dockhand didn't accept your lines? That, to me, is telling. Maybe he thought you had too much way on for him to take responsibility for stopping you? I'd be curious as to his explanation.

I know in my boat, the prop walk would have been a significant factor in judging how to make that approach. My prop will walk the stern to port in reverse. Consequently, if I tried to stop the boat against the wind and current by reversing, my stern would have pivoted away from the dock. That's no good in the scenario you described (it would be perfect if the dock were to your port and all other factors the same).

So, I think I would have evaluated the following options a) come in bow to wind and current as has been suggested (I imagine that shoal or some other factor kept you from doing so) b) nosing into the windward end of the dock (only after having made verbal communication with the marina - phone or radio - and established a plan) so the dockhand could take a and tie off a bowline and left your stern drift down to the dock or c) stand off / anchor until the weather had passed.

It is always easier to talk about it afterward than to do it under pressure, but that is how I would approach it.
flyingjib likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

One way, requiring only one line, that someone mentioned in a previous thread may have worked: nose up with a bow spring already on the bow cleat, a loop on the bitter end with length about half the boat's length. Then all the kid on the dock would have needed to do would have been to drop the loop over a midpoint cleat on the dock. Slowly motoring ahead against current with wheel to starboard, the boat would come into the dock where you could jump off, still in gear, and secure it better. Just a thought for the future and of course these ideas are always much easier sitting at a computer.

Knowing what your boat will and will not do is probably the most important aspect in these situations and, unfortunately, the only way to find out is through trial and error. If you made one mistake in this situation, it was in not having an 'out' when you missed. I try to always plan what I'll do WHEN I miss the first time. If it is a dead end, I will not do it and would rather wait for a current or wind change. Also, don't take advice from harbormasters, dockboys, spectators, or fellow boaters. Only you know what your boat can and cannot do.
flyingjib likes this.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

I don't know for sure but there appears no mystery here. Pull into the wind, dock portside, turn the bow to the dock using the engine to balance the wind and let the wind put you dockside with the rudder port. Using a long dockline when alone drop it over the cleat and spring the stern into the dock rudder STB.
flyingjib likes this.
Old 08-15-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

flyingjib is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alturia View Post
Approaching a dock with the wind & current behind you is always problematic. Is there a reason why you could not approach the dock heading into the wind and current?
For some reason marina insisted that I keep the bow facing out. You're absolutely right. I should have approached it heading in and then deat with turning the boat around later. Live and learn...
Old 08-15-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjib:910145
Quote:
Originally Posted by alturia View Post
Approaching a dock with the wind & current behind you is always problematic. Is there a reason why you could not approach the dock heading into the wind and current?
For some reason marina insisted that I keep the bow facing out. You're absolutely right. I should have approached it heading in and then deat with turning the boat around later. Live and learn...
You're the skipper. You have the say.
flyingjib likes this.
Old 08-15-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Did you ever determine why the dockhand didn't accept your lines? That, to me, is telling. Maybe he thought you had too much way on for him to take responsibility for stopping you? I'd be curious as to his explanation.

I know in my boat, the prop walk would have been a significant factor in judging how to make that approach. My prop will walk the stern to port in reverse. Consequently, if I tried to stop the boat against the wind and current by reversing, my stern would have pivoted away from the dock. That's no good in the scenario you described (it would be perfect if the dock were to your port and all other factors the same).

So, I think I would have evaluated the following options a) come in bow to wind and current as has been suggested (I imagine that shoal or some other factor kept you from doing so) b) nosing into the windward end of the dock (only after having made verbal communication with the marina - phone or radio - and established a plan) so the dockhand could take a and tie off a bowline and left your stern drift down to the dock or c) stand off / anchor until the weather had passed.

It is always easier to talk about it afterward than to do it under pressure, but that is how I would approach it.
It turned out that they over booked the floating dock and they wanted me in different spot inside. For some reason marina insisted I keep the bow facing out but as you also mentioned, I should have gone into the wind and dealt with them later...
Old 08-15-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
You're the skipper. You have the say.
You're absolutely right. I cave in. Never again...

I should have done what would have been the safest approach and dealt with them later.
Old 08-15-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

Thank you so much for all your great notes as always. Many good points. Lesson learned.
sea_hunter likes this.

Last edited by flyingjib; 08-16-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2012

dnf777 is on a distinguished road

hey, at least you screwed up in wind and current. I'm accomplished all that in calm waters!
flyingjib likes this.
Old 08-15-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

A good case for deploying the emergency brake (the stern anchor ready to go at all times on the aft rail).
flyingjib likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.