Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
re: Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I cannot imagine that disassembling the Mantus is a quick, or easy task...
4 minutes, 22 seconds to disassemble the Mantus anchor with two wrenches.

I carried the new Mantus 35 lbs. anchor to the boat yesterday for disassembly and storage. Placed two hatch boards on floor of cockpit to protect the fiberglass against scaring. No damage to wood hatch boards either. Worked at a normal rate to disassemble the anchor and I expect that reassembly will take approximately the same time. The disassembled anchor stored well and compactly in the cockpit storage locker. In putting the package back together I will have to allow a couple of minutes to get the three anchor parts out, the chain, and 5/8" rode. Also a minute or two to shackle chain to nylon rode and to anchor. In my case, where the bow area is occupied with two other anchors, I plan to use the boom (as a cargo boom) to deploy/recover the anchor: Connect mainsail halyard to boom for support, connect a block & tackle with a Johnson Grab and Go hook to boom, connect anchor to hook and swing over the side, well clear of hull. For recovery, use anchor windlass forward to recover rode, use boat to break out the anchor and transfer anchor with appropriate line back to where I can hoist anchor into cockpit with boom as above. Cockpit is a good place to disassemble the anchor as it has room and is next to storage locker. Sounds complicated, but it is not and I already have all those other items that I mentioned. Because there is some slight possibility that a washer, bolt, or nut might get lost, I bought a couple of extras from Lowes to have available if needed. I think it's going to do what I want. If you are keeping such an anchor forward as one of your primary anchors, of course you don't have to do the above.

Two other comments:

The anchor being heavy with a relatively sharp point (so that it will dig into bottom) could damage the fiberglass hull if it were to hit, so in using it, one will have to be careful in that regard.

Now, while it will fits my bow roller in place of the 33 lb. Bruce, I have to admit that the Bruce looks better up there. But anchoring well is the objective in this case, and the new generation anchors do this better based on most testing. The appearance issue would be the same if it were a Rocna or Manson.
sww914 likes this.

Last edited by NCC320; 08-17-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

A couple spares is a good idea, I was going to suggest that.
kentobin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear Sailnet Members,

Our initial special "Buy the next size up for the price of this one"
Expired.
Um... should we assume that your suggestion is to always go with one size larger than suggested? If that sentence does not read well, you get my point.
Old 03-17-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

NCC320...Any further feed back on your Mantus anchor or
anyone else with their own experience...think Mainesail
was happy with rather fast set with this anchor.
Any long windy nights lying to this anchor?
Old 03-17-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
4 minutes, 22 seconds to disassemble the Mantus anchor with two wrenches.

Because there is some slight possibility that a washer, bolt, or nut might get lost, I bought a couple of extras from Lowes to have available if needed.

Losing the bits in a heaving sea was my concern also.

Since this is going to be your standby anchor, what are your thoughts about tack welding the nut to the fluke so that the only thing you have to do is insert and tighten the bolt? It would also make it a one-wrench operation. Being tack welded, you could always grind the small weld points if you wanted to return it to OEM design.
Old 03-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why

I too bought one to take as a spare as I have a 20kg New Zealand Rocna on the bow already. Construction looks robust. To me very sim ilar to the Rocna and Manson so I would expect it to hold as well, not betterm but as well which would be great. I have found that the Rocna does much better in sand and mud than the Danforth I had and I amore confident it would reset if it had to I will be taking it on our trips offshore. It will also fit easily in our huge anchor locker.

To solve the pounted tip I took an old tennis ball and slitted it and pull it over it so it wouldnt damage anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-18-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have any experience with using a Mantus as a storm anchor? I've been planning to purchase a large Fortress (probably a FX-37, but possible a FX-55), but am now considering a large Mantus (probably the 85lb).

I like the new spade-style anchors (my bower is a 55lb Rocna), for their holding power, their ease of setting, and their versatility. I used to routinely switch between a danforth and a CQR, depending on bottom conditions. The Rocna seems to handle it all fairly well.

I expect the Mantus will be similar, hence my interest. That said, the Fortress I am looking at will generate more holding power, and will be lighter.

Experiences?
Old 04-05-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Some more customers feed back

Just to let you know that the Mantus 8/9 pound anchor is doing great on my Bahamas cruise. Since l sailed over here in my 12 foot boat, I could only carry one anchor and I'm glad I choose your product. As advertised it sets quickly and holds well in many bottom types. Of course the little boat gets a lot of attention and people also ask about my ground tackle which I'm happy to show them since I'm often in the shallows or dried out in the flats. Well keep up the good work.

Dave Bolduc
Exumas, Bahamas
Old 04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
NCC320...Any further feed back on your Mantus anchor or
anyone else with their own experience...think Mainesail
was happy with rather fast set with this anchor.
Any long windy nights lying to this anchor?
Hugosalt,

No, I haven't used mine...actually haven't anchored out since I bought it. In my case, I primarily wanted that anchor to use in combination with my other anchors in the event I have to anchor out in a named storm. My calculations, based on all information that I could find, was that without the Mantus in the mix, I couldn't expect to hold in a really severe storm. With the Mantus included, I believe I can handle whatever comes my way. If I had a storm anchor that didn't disassemble, I would have to leave it in an on-shore storage, and that didn't seem just right. Mainesail recently posted in a thread that his (I think it was 35 lb., maybe 45 lb.) Mantus held in one of his test pulls to 4500 lbs., where he terminated the test to protect the test boat.
Old 04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
Losing the bits in a heaving sea was my concern also.

Since this is going to be your standby anchor, what are your thoughts about tack welding the nut to the fluke so that the only thing you have to do is insert and tighten the bolt? It would also make it a one-wrench operation. Being tack welded, you could always grind the small weld points if you wanted to return it to OEM design.
I think either way would be fine. Tack welding nut in place would make operation simpler, but welding would require consideration as to increased chance for rust, and heat might affect the strength of anchor if done improperly. I plan to assemble mine in the cockpit area next to locker where it is stored, so I'm not too concerned that I would loose the bolts/nuts even if boat was rocking and rolling. But just in case, I have a couple of spares.