Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Some more customers feed back

Just to let you know that the Mantus 8/9 pound anchor is doing great on my Bahamas cruise. Since l sailed over here in my 12 foot boat, I could only carry one anchor and I'm glad I choose your product. As advertised it sets quickly and holds well in many bottom types. Of course the little boat gets a lot of attention and people also ask about my ground tackle which I'm happy to show them since I'm often in the shallows or dried out in the flats.
What kind of boat is that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
What kind of boat is that?
Probably one of those "Microcruisers":

Microcruising

Microcruiser
Old 04-05-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Probably one of those "Microcruisers":
Dang... you need to have balls of steel to take one of those to the Bahamas...
Old 04-05-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Dang... you need to have balls of steel to take one of those to the Bahamas...
Ha, ha, yep, but I like how many of them don't let a lack of money stop them from going out there. The sunsets are the same as the ones enjoyed by people with more boat.

Some even cruise two-up in them!
Old 04-05-2013

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

MikeOReilly: I use my FX-37, on the mud setting, as my storm anchor and it has never failed. But that is when I anchor in our local very soft mud in the creeks off of the Neuse River. I have used a 15 kg Bruce type, a 15kg Rocna and a 35# Manson. All preformed well in squalls, T-storms and Tropical storm conditions in a variety of bottoms from the Chesapeake to the Keys. So to me it all depends on the bottom. My Manson is the first thing in and the Bruce is second unless I KNOW I am over very soft mud then the FX is my first choice. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 04-05-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post

In my case, where the bow area is occupied with two other anchors, I plan to use the boom (as a cargo boom) to deploy/recover the anchor: Connect mainsail halyard to boom for support, connect a block & tackle with a Johnson Grab and Go hook to boom, connect anchor to hook and swing over the side, well clear of hull. For recovery, use anchor windlass forward to recover rode, use boat to break out the anchor and transfer anchor with appropriate line back to where I can hoist anchor into cockpit with boom as above. Cockpit is a good place to disassemble the anchor as it has room and is next to storage locker. Sounds complicated, but it is not and I already have all those other items that I mentioned.
Seriously? What kind of boom do you have that you need to support it by a halyard to lift a 35lb weight? That's less than a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Honestly, my solution would be to grab the 35lb anchor using my Mark I hands and arms and just lower it into the water. I am not exactly a body builder but I have no trouble doing that with my own 33lb Delta.
One likes this.
Old 04-05-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I bought a 65lb model to use as a storm anchor. I can break it down and store this much larger anchor very easily. It also will fit on my roller although I need to add a SS tang to lock it in place. The weight distribution is such that the anchor wants to deploy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-05-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianclaire View Post
MikeOReilly: I use my FX-37, on the mud setting, as my storm anchor and it has never failed. But that is when I anchor in our local very soft mud in the creeks off of the Neuse River. I have used a 15 kg Bruce type, a 15kg Rocna and a 35# Manson. All preformed well in squalls, T-storms and Tropical storm conditions in a variety of bottoms from the Chesapeake to the Keys. So to me it all depends on the bottom. My Manson is the first thing in and the Bruce is second unless I KNOW I am over very soft mud then the FX is my first choice. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Thanks marianclaire, good to know. Our boat is probably a bit bigger than yours (37-ft/28,000#) so I'm still leaning towards a FX-37 or 55 as a storm anchor. As you say, these anchors would only be useful in soft bottoms (clay, mud, sand). Our bower is a 25 kg Rocna, and so far it has proven itself in a number of nasty blows. We also carry a large danforth and a 15 kg bruce as our stern/kedge.

I'm still toying with the idea of a Mantus as well. I expect they will perform as well as similar types (rocna, manson, etc.). My hesitation with the Mantus option is whether it I will actually use it. If I get it big enough to act as a storm anchor, we're talking likely 85lbs. That's not the kind of thing that will be used easily. The big Fortresses will be difficult as well, but certainly lighter for theoretically higher holding power (assuming appropriate bottom/set).

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 04-05-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I do enjoy these anchoring threads.
I love our Spade anchor, sticks quick, holds and resets easy. I have been debating which storm anchor to get. I like the concept of the Fortress but longer term we are not likely to encounter much mud situations. I have actually been leaning towards an up-sized aluminum Spade. It disassembles like the Mantus, one bolt and is light and easy to store and deploy.
Old 04-05-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Seriously? What kind of boom do you have that you need to support it by a halyard to lift a 35lb weight? That's less than a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Honestly, my solution would be to grab the 35lb anchor using my Mark I hands and arms and just lower it into the water. I am not exactly a body builder but I have no trouble doing that with my own 33lb Delta.
Two thoughts here:

1) the boom will allow me to keep anchor's sharp edges away from the hull of the boat. I don't want to have the anchor bouncing off the side of the boat, with its sharp edges.

2) depending on depth of water, when you retrieve, you will be picking up 35 lb. anchor, ~15-20 ft. of chain @ 1lb./ft., plus possibly a large mud ball, so the weight could be more like 60-70 lbs. Ok for young bucks with strong backs, but 73 yr. old backs don't like that.

As to the halyard, a good topping lift will work also.

But like most things, simple is best, and if you don't mind the weight and can keep the anchor clear of the boat, do it by hand.