Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Those new fangled Mantus Anchors..Bought One...Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Two thoughts here:

1) the boom will allow me to keep anchor's sharp edges away from the hull of the boat. I don't want to have the anchor bouncing off the side of the boat, with its sharp edges.

2) depending on depth of water, when you retrieve, you will be picking up 35 lb. anchor, ~15-20 ft. of chain @ 1lb./ft., plus possibly a large mud ball, so the weight could be more like 60-70 lbs. Ok for young bucks with strong backs, but 73 yr. old backs don't like that.

As to the halyard, a good topping lift will work also.

But like most things, simple is best, and if you don't mind the weight and can keep the anchor clear of the boat, do it by hand.
Nobody has called me a young buck for many, many years. Thank you, I appreciate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2013

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

More feed back on the Mantus from our customers:
I have been living on my Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 since Nov. 2011 I started from Cambride, MD , spent the first winter in Farendena, FL. Went back north as far as Washington,NC. proceeded south to Southport NC. I left Southport June 22 2012 arrived at Clearlake TX August 25 2012 and was hit by a Searay speed boat 2 hours after arriving. I have lived on the hook all but 9 days of that time. I have a Rocna 10 kilo and a Rocna 15 kilo that is presently my primary anchor, I have been very happy with them up to this point. We were having easterly wind of sustained 15 to 20 knots with gusts of up to 35 knots. When I noticed that I was draging down wind at a very slow rate of under 1 knot. My primary has never done that with all the varied bottoms that I encountered traveling the ICW from Southport around the Keys to Clearlake. I pulled the anchor and noticed that it hadn't completely burried itself having the rollbar showing the upper third clean of mud. I have an all chain rode of 5/16 " g4 and always set my anchor by backing down at 2300 rpms on the 2Qm15 Yanmar engine that is in Thalassa. I have been doing my own tests with a Mantus 8lb that I purchased at Boaters resale. I do admit that my testing is a little ruthless but I have no time in my life for fabicated truth. I have had the Mantus taking all the strain for the past 2 weeks on Clearlake with 12 feet of 1/4 chain and 3/8" rode of about 15 meters. I have reset the anchor every other day from my dinghy, and am very pleased with the holding as well as the retrieval. It sets quickly, holds fast and can be retrieved with the dinghy. It has come to the surface with no mud clogged on the fluke but once, and that time there was only about 20% of the fluke covered, witch was easily cleared with a few dunks in the water. The performance has been as good or better than my 16.5 lb claw anchor that I have to retrieve with Thaalassa, not being able to pull it out of the bottom with the dinghy.

This customer, later contacted me and bought two anchors, one as primary and one as a spare...
One likes this.
Old 04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Dang... you need to have balls of steel to take one of those to the Bahamas...
Microcruising.com

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 04-05-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Did a google search of the site "spade" site:sailnet.com and saw a MaineSail posting where he said the Aluminum Spade sucks, although he does like the steel version. Hmmm, certainly not going to get the Aluminum Spade now. Back to square one on storm anchor selection.
Old 05-04-2013

Some more feed back on our "BABY"

John Young
7:35 PM (14 hours ago)

to me
Hi Greg,
We are in Georgetown Bahamas and headed for the Turks and Caicos tomorrow, just wanted to update that we LOVE THE ANCHOR and have named it Monte! Monte digs in hard every time we stop. We have not dragged once since we left Key west over a month ago and have anchored out all but about 5 days in some pretty tough conditions including a sleepless night at Allen Cay in the Exumas when the wind shifted from E to W and we knew Monte could not hold but he did.. We did have one instance where I let the chain out to fast and it got wrapped around the shank of the anchor and it never set but that was my fault! Anyway the Anchor, the Combo tool, the Chain hook and the bottle opener are all working perfectly for us.

Thanks for the great product,

John Young
S/V Jacasso
Sailing Jacasso
Old 05-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I've become convinced. I'll be getting a Mantus for our boat.

I'll let you guys know how it works out for us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-29-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Check out what's gracing the bow of our beautiful new boat!

Is that thing gorgeous or what?!?!?

I bought it through the Sailnet store, of course. Flawless experience. And since Mantus is located pretty near our marina, I just arranged for pick-up instead of shipping. Sailnet made that happen without a fuss.

BUT, I just couldn't seem to get free when Mantus was open. So what did Greg K. do? He put the thing together for me and dropped it off at my boat!

Killer anchor - even more killer customer service. I'm a die-hard Mantus Dude now.
copacabana and justflie like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-29-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

Cool!

Old 06-29-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Check out what's gracing the bow of our beautiful new boat!

Is that thing gorgeous or what?!?!?

I bought it through the Sailnet store, of course. Flawless experience. And since Mantus is located pretty near our marina, I just arranged for pick-up instead of shipping. Sailnet made that happen without a fuss.

BUT, I just couldn't seem to get free when Mantus was open. So what did Greg K. do? He put the thing together for me and dropped it off at my boat!

Killer anchor - even more killer customer service. I'm a die-hard Mantus Dude now.
So did you get service with a smile? or a frown? hmmmmmmm

Good on Greg!

Marty
Old 06-30-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

If bolts are good enough for my keel they're good enough for my anchor. They seem a good choice. Expensive, but not overpriced like the ultra.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.