SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Catalina 27 liner stress cracks (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/90999-catalina-27-liner-stress-cracks.html)

roystonrocket 08-15-2012 06:49 PM

Catalina 27 liner stress cracks

I am considering buying a 1980 C27. Well equipped and just what I am looking for except lots of stress cracks in floor by entrance to head, along the floor of cabin, underseats (dinette model). The keel bolts have some rust on the nuts and when the surveyor tapped on them the forward ones did have a little difference in sound. We have no lift near hear to inspect the join of keel to hull. Is this worth persuing or are those cracks an indication of too much hull flex or a keel that moves around.

roystonrocket 08-15-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Catalina 27 liner stress cracks

Thanks for the reply Sidney777. I had seen that review by Jack Horner. I was wondering if other boats had these same cracks and maybe I am fretting about nothing. I don't plan to use the boat in extreme conditions but of course want it to be safe and something that I can get quite a few years use out of. My surveyor (who didn't do a full survey) just a walk through originally said walk away from this boat but then added up all the gear that it comes with and said I should offer less money as it is very well equipped.

travlineasy 08-15-2012 10:39 PM

I had a 1978, had the same type of cracks, turned out to be the base of the wooden compression post had rotted away. The fix was to loosen the standing rigging, put some wooden plates beneath the cabin roof around the top of the compression post, jacked it up about a quarter of an inch, then cut away the rotted base of the compression post, replaced that segment with aluminum blocks and carefully lowered the post back in place. Turns out that this was not an unusual problem. The compression post if not a solid post. Instead, it consists of four, 1-inch thick, 3.5-inch wide boards glued and screwed together. The post is then anchored to the bulkhead wall of the head. When the bottom rots out it places a lot of pressure on the bulkhead and floor area outside and adjacent to the head.

My keel nuts and bolts were stainless, and while they were somewhat discolored they never rusted. Those bolts might just be real cruddy from being constantly submerged.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

roystonrocket 08-15-2012 10:59 PM

Some answers for you Sidney777. These cracks are about up to a foot long. There are several, maybe up to a dozen in some places. I haven't gone in the water to check for the crack between keel and hull. We have grids here but I haven't lined up times for that yet as I wanted to know if it is worth going any further with this boat. I think the reason the surveyor was giving mixed opinions was he is not sure if these cracks are structural. This wasn't a complete survey, he just charged me $50 to spend an hour and look things over. His biggest concerns are these cracks, 2 small hollow sounding spots on the deck below windows that look like they have leaked, and the keel bolts not all sounding the same on tapping. There is lots of clearance under the door to head. Dinette fits well. The bulkhead was just replaced along with 6 new shroud anchors. The equipment is furlex roller, 8 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, electric start and tilt, autohelm, zodiac cadet dinghy with 2 hp yamaha, propane heat, digital depth and speed. Asking $10500. Prices are high here in Comox as there is no available moorage so the only way to get a spot is buy boat and moorage which this boat has. Thanks for your interest. It is much appreciated.

roystonrocket 08-15-2012 11:44 PM

Reply to Travelineasy. The bulk head was just replaced on this boat and new shroud anchors and plates. Would they have had to seen this when they did the bulk head? I have a diagram of the compression post from Catalina. I is a bit frightening to start off with a boat having to do a job like this.