Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: Alburg 30 questions

Hey, that's the same one you rejected before..

Getting desperate?

That boat is doable, but you gotta get your head around the work involved. It's going to take a lot, but if you're determined you CAN make it happen.

It's a lot of work though...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Chris, you mean the ones the chainplates are attached to?
How do you extend them reasonably, I thought most of the load was on the ones on the main bulkhead, I'm in the middle of glasswork in my V-beth, and going to have the whole area insulated after so I'd rather sort any details like that now.

To the OP, looks like a solid boat in need of a bit of work, like my A30. Good to see someone did the mast support beam repair already.
Old 08-15-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Gotta disagree on the chainplate/chainplate bolts - they do appear original, there are only three @ 5/16th or even 1/4" maybe, and they are undersized. They will need replacing as will the chainplates in all likelihood.

FWIW, My (ex) A-30 did not look like that at the hull to deck as viewed from the inside. Mine was sealed solid with heavy roving that appeared to be factory. I had an early hull# though, and that might make a difference. I'd glass up what you see there on that boat for a nice clean finish and added strength.
I usually dont disagree with you and maybe they are stock but heres a pic of mine which were machine bolts with rounded sloted heads, the ones in pic have a hex head and appear to be 5/16 or 3/8. According to the Alberg site 1/4 machine screws were used and upgrading to 5/16 is sufficient. It wasn't for me as I used 7/16. I do agree that either way being that they are painted they should be removed and inspected along with chainplates.
Attached Thumbnails
Alburg 30 questions-p1302150.jpg   Alburg 30 questions-p1302148.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 08-15-2012

champlain94 is on a distinguished road
Alburg 30 questions

No this is not the one I rejected before. This one is a different one. Here is an older survey on the boat. He is asking $10,000

Old 08-15-2012
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Chris, you mean the ones the chainplates are attached to?
How do you extend them reasonably, I thought most of the load was on the ones on the main bulkhead, I'm in the middle of glasswork in my V-beth, and going to have the whole area insulated after so I'd rather sort any details like that now.

To the OP, looks like a solid boat in need of a bit of work, like my A30. Good to see someone did the mast support beam repair already.
The proper way to extend them would be vertically. You knock the old brown mushy ones completely off, fair out the area then install your newly built longer laminated ones that are covered in many layers of glass and epoxy, tabbing them to the hull with glass roving and epoxy. The new ones would go lower than the shelf right underneath them.

Another way (what I did) is if yours aren't mush inside (take a core sample), you can just add heavy glass and epoxy over the original tabbing, extended farther aft and forward than the original tabbing. Basically, just build the area up with more glass and epoxy.

You're right in that they aren't as load bearing as the ones on the main bulkhead, however they are they ones that are known to rip out. It's how Yves Gelina lost his mast - those were the failure point. The ones pictured here look pissweak to me, at least compared to the baseline I started with on my A 30.

Fwiw.
Jgbrown likes this.

Last edited by chrisncate; 08-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2012
Don't sail anymore

I have been seeing some tight boats out there for 10 to 15k, do you have any other candidates? Are you limited to a local selection or can you travel a few states away?
Old 08-15-2012

Alburg 30 questions

I want to stay in the NC SC area. I will have to motor down the waterway with little experience. And around $10g is the max I want to initially spend. I know that's asking a lot but what I do have is time. I'm in no hurry. There are a lot of sailboats out there. It's a buyers market. But I have a lot to learn. That's why I'm here posting pics and asking. Here's a picture of the last A30 chainplates I looked at

Old 08-15-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Yep....thems is original.... the first pic you posted looked like hex heads...so i stand corrected, sorry CnC

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 08-15-2012
Don't sail anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I usually dont disagree with you and maybe they are stock but heres a pic of mine which were machine bolts with rounded sloted heads, the ones in pic have a hex head and appear to be 5/16 or 3/8. According to the Alberg site 1/4 machine screws were used and upgrading to 5/16 is sufficient. It wasn't for me as I used 7/16. I do agree that either way being that they are painted they should be removed and inspected along with chainplates.
5/16th is too small imo. you don't want any movement, ever. Mine with hefty 5/8th bolts (3/4" heads on those suckers), the backing plates are G-10:

Old vs new cp's when I was making them:

Last edited by chrisncate; 08-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2012

Alburg 30 questions

Yes the one I looked at today. I am pretty sure has newer bolts through the chainplates. I don't know if the chainplates are new but I am
Sure the bolts aren't original the round screw head bolts are from
A major fixer upper I looked at a couple weeks ago