Originally Posted by sww914
I won't sail in anything without
3 Handheld VHF
My list almost exactly!
1. Lifejacket is required by LAW but a good idea none the less.
2. Knife, always, always, always! At least two! Sea, land or air except when flying commercial then I cast my fate to the winds and check my KNIVES!
3. CASH to get home once I get on land.
Extras for the idly curious:
4. Hand compass, I was on a crew boat that got struck by lightning one time. For some reason all of the electronics quit and the compass just turned with the boat. Luckily, the helmsman knew his way through the off shore platforms to the channel.
5. Hand held VHF. The old one died. The next will be a floating water proof model. Yes it went for a swim and drowned.
6. Water or some other suitable beverage and some kind of food. Just in case.
7. A good flashlight. How else am I going to see to open my sardines?