SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What 3 things would you never sail without?

8K views 58 replies 46 participants last post by  chamonix 
#1 ·
#5 ·
#6 ·
  1. A good book
  2. Guinness
  3. spare reading glasses

Reactions: melody1204
#7 ·
Must haves:

Paper chart and tools
Marine radio
Food/water

Don't need but won't guarantee a continued good mood/adventurous spirit after the first 72 hours without:

Books
iPad (Not for connectivity; almost all of my magazines and journals are digital subscriptions)
Non-electronic writing tools

Reactions: melody1204
#8 ·
I teach, so with the students in mind:

1) extra "vintage" foulie jackets, even of a clear day (it is a sign of respect to the Weather Gods and must not be omitted, or else..)

2) Sun goop and hat (we are in south Louisiana, it's hot enough without getting sunburned)

3) A can or two of Canada Dry ginger ale with "real ginger". I've recently been convinced by these forums and actual experience with students that it helps a queasy stomach (and hence the rest of you) feel better. Then we may not have to go in early, but we will if you don't feel well, it's good docking/undocking experience.

#9 · (Edited)
Day sail... beer, bri, and bread.
Actual SAIL, 1. a bunch of packages of new cotton boxer breifs and white t-shirts.
2. extra fouly's so I'm not wearing the same pair for a week.
3. a new addition is a SPOT. wife insist's. I used to sail in to Guatemala on Wed. and call Friday. now she know's the moment I arrive.
My list from 10 years ago was a whole lot different! Oh how we evolve and mature.

#10 ·
The SPOT is awesome, isn't it? Unless of course, you don't want your wife to know where you are every 10 minutes!

As far as the underwear, have you checked out the fast-drying underwear from REI? You can just bring 2 pairs. Wear one, wash one. They dry in almost no time and are super comfortable (they have them for men and women). Saves a lot of space.
Men's Underwear: - Quick drying at REI - Free shipping on orders of $50 or more

Cheers!

Melody

Vacilando | This is the story of two people, a dog and a journey. We'll choose some article almost certain not to exist and diligently try to find it.

#14 ·
Assuming all the safety gear, charts, etc are in place, thinking of personal comfort: Practical things: shade hat, electrolyte drink, book about the history of the place we're going to. Fun stuff: iphone, camera, RUM.

A FB friend informed me that today is national rum day: National rum day - Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

#15 ·
I go through 'em 2 quick and I like 100% cotton. Down here the sweat, salt will do you in. when I get up for my watch, new t-shrt and underwear, off watch to bunk. change again and so and so forth. This is something i started about 10 years ago after 20 years of chafe and rashes. My grandmother would have me bath in salt water and and wipe up with vinegar when we where cruising in the 70's and 80's. the spot is cool. I used to like the day or two of no one knowing where i was.

#22 ·
2. Stool softener.
You're lucky you can get outside the limit and discharge overboard.

Our cruising is limited by the proximity of pump-out facilities and/or shore toilets.

#56 ·
My list almost exactly!

1. Lifejacket is required by LAW but a good idea none the less.

2. Knife, always, always, always! At least two! Sea, land or air except when flying commercial then I cast my fate to the winds and check my KNIVES!

3. CASH to get home once I get on land.

Extras for the idly curious:

4. Hand compass, I was on a crew boat that got struck by lightning one time. For some reason all of the electronics quit and the compass just turned with the boat. Luckily, the helmsman knew his way through the off shore platforms to the channel.

5. Hand held VHF. The old one died. The next will be a floating water proof model. Yes it went for a swim and drowned.

6. Water or some other suitable beverage and some kind of food. Just in case.

7. A good flashlight. How else am I going to see to open my sardines? ;)

Have FUN!
O'

#26 ·
I was nearly going to say "my reading glasses" but if I did some smart arse moderator (no names no pack drill but you know who you are) would probably laugh at me. :p

Reactions: Donna_F
#32 ·
Channeling Omar Khayyám?

#33 ·
1.) My boat, which I am still shopping for...
2.) My wife/first mate, got that.
3.) Beer/snacks or wine/cheese-n-bead or rum/limes.
Of course this lies on the assumption that no one would sail without a plan, pfds for all and a vhf (or some mayday hailing device)

Okay wait a minute let's think rationally here..(now I sound like Steve Martin on SNL Christmas wish)
You've got a sailboat on which you intend to sail so therefor 1 is taken care of, 2 you have a...well maybe not but surely we've all some form of 3...

Gosh without that why the heck would you...oh wait I remember, nothing but the breeze...the roll of the waves and you, convincing yourself that at one point ,in your life you have, briefly... intermittently...control of the forces of nature, damn the wind just shifted again...

Man I miss sailing I hope I find that boat soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.